www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are lengthy reviews always the best?

Go down 
+9
helencbradshaw
Averilla
Thingywhatsit
badcompany77
marandina
Minnitee
duskmaiden
liz1102
lisa2062
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Nov 2006, 20:45

I find myself too lazy to write short reviews and therefore often end up with 1500 – 1800 worders. It is a curse I am doomed to bare. Sad
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Nov 2006, 21:39

fizzywizzy wrote:
Furthermore, I am not convinced that people are telling the truth about this subject. I think the trend is to rate these reviews as E but to moan about them privately later.

I decided not to rate E at all and if I feel a review is worthy money from the premium fund I use the 'recommend product' button and send the email to Ciao with my explanation. I think that counts for more than E ratings as they can see why I recommended it.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyThu 16 Nov 2006, 21:51

yeh I find that button more effective than an E
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Nov 2006, 11:54

People who are fairly active on Ciao but may not come here will probably not knw about that button though....it was a revelation to me some time ago
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Nov 2006, 15:07

We keep telling people but they seem to forget about it.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Nov 2006, 20:46

In reply to a comment about book quotes, I do think that they can be useful but I don't think having a huge chunk of them is necessary.
Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Nov 2006, 20:48

fizzywizzy wrote:
People who are fairly active on Ciao but may not come here will probably not knw about that button though....it was a revelation to me some time ago

I didn't know about it myself until Rachel told me, since then I tend to use it rather than giving E's. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
kellylouj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2006-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 11:06

As long as the review gets to the point pretty quickly it keeps my interest. Reviews with unnecessary info tend to pad out the review when all people need to do is write their opinion, after all that is what the site is for.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 11:45

I must repeat that what I see in the ratings is pretty much not what people are saying here. Have the courage to rate as you really think. Yes, it might be beautifully written but if a review has a thousand words on the history of a building and not enough on what the writer thinks of the experience of visiting said building, you shouldn't really rate it as exceptional.
Let's see people rating honestly!!!!
Back to top Go down
duskmaiden

duskmaiden

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2006-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 15:42

I usedto give the advice pretend the person had never heard of the product but I am thinking now the consumer must know a little bit about the product to want to read a review. For example a perosn might have heard a song on the radio and wondrred if th whole album was similar. (That's an actual situation for me) What do other people think??

Sarah
Back to top Go down
jesi

jesi

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2006-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptySun 13 Jan 2008, 01:03

l must admit to feeling like Sarah used to ~ particularly when the author is a new writer:

duskmaiden wrote:
I used to give the advice 'pretend the person had never heard of the product' but I am thinking now the consumer must know a little bit about the product to want to read a review. For example a person might have heard a song on the radio and wondered if the whole album was similar. (That's an actual situation for me) What do other people think??

Sarah

l have looked up products for which l have received a request as a gift suggestion; so l would tend to still give that advice . . . BUT . . .

Please don't patronise me or tell me lists of history and technical specs (particularly if the specs are available in product details already) . . .

l have been known to comment "Less is More" when a review has too much detail.
Back to top Go down
jesi

jesi

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2006-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 EmptySun 13 Jan 2008, 01:04

Oh, and Lisa, they've hidden the recommend button under "Actions" now ~ to differentiate between review and topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are lengthy reviews always the best?   Are lengthy reviews always the best? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Are lengthy reviews always the best?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2