www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just joined - confused

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2006-08-30

Just joined - confused Empty
PostSubject: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 20:21

So I just joined Helium today and have an article written that's ready to post, I'm just confused what to put it under.
It's about sport and gender inequalities - I've checked the sports section and it seems to be about talking about your favourite sport etc, so I check out society and lifestyles and think I have found an appropriate finding under ethnicity and gender.
But I understand you can only rate topics from the areas you post in and find that a lot of the other topics in that category aren't really appropriate for what I prefer to read.
So should I post under Sport or Social? Why is they not a social side of sport since there are many topics that can be written on this?

Any you can tell I'm confused confused so I'm just going to browse the site a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 20:22

What was the exact nature of the article. I shall help you find it.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 20:31

Basically I have written about gender inequalities in sport so I am just talking about how the media, peoples attitudes etc reflect on the female sports woman.

I found this article
http://www.helium.com/tm/139254
which is sort of similiar of what I'm writing about.

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 20:35

No don't put it there as that is not sport related

Go into the sports section press write and initiate a new one called Gender Inequality in Sport
Back to top Go down
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 20:47

Just posted it, so now they review it right before it appears on the site?
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 21:35

In theory...
Back to top Go down
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:01

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
In theory...

So your suggesting that they let a bit of crap through then?

That would explain some of the articles I've looked at
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:04

They let all the crap through from what I have seen, I suppose the idea is they will be rated appropriately at some point although I have not seen evidence of that yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:08

Ahh, okay I figured there can't be too much filtering as a lot of stuff in the sports section is crap, for example did you know France won the 1998 World Cup? that was one persons article telling me that.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:25

They did when the site was new but now all new categories are being activated manually, bearing in mind quality of articles and areas already on the database.
Back to top Go down
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:27

Okay, good news I just got my first $0.01, so that's like 2/3 of penny isn't it?

Edit: really liking this site, love all the personal topics so people can offer there expertise, really motivates me to write more new stuff.

Last edited by on Sat 10 Feb 2007, 22:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:28

Wait til you have loads of articles. It leaps. Mine went up over 1.40 in a day today. Best yet.
Back to top Go down
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:30

Is that because you where on the front page?
So is payment directed by traffic rather than what people rate them?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:32

Its a combination, but reads do count.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:53

thebluehippo wrote:
Is that because you where on the front page?
So is payment directed by traffic rather than what people rate them?

From what I can tell, ratings (as far as earnings are concerned) matter very little. It's the amount of traffic you can generate towards your articles that matters most.

Secondary will be members' ratings which should order articles into order of quality and that might help because articles ranked higher within the topic should, in theory, get read more often by those who happen to surf by rather than those who have been directed to specific articles.
Back to top Go down
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:55

So in theory a user who is able to generate a lot of traffic to there articles no matter the quality will be able to make more $$
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 23:00

Exactamundo.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused EmptySun 11 Feb 2007, 18:57

thebluehippo wrote:
So in theory a user who is able to generate a lot of traffic to there articles no matter the quality will be able to make more $$

Whilst thats true, one of the factors is to do with the search engines. If a non-member uses a search engine to find some information on, say, racism in sport, then the ranking of your article comes into play. It may pick up all the articles in that section, and some of the more popular sections have hundreds. When you search for information normally you are given loads of pages of links in descending order of relevancy. The highest ranked helium articles should be high up in the list, i.e on the first page that was returned to you, the middle order ones further back etc.
On the basis that most people find the info that they want on a subject in the first couple of pages then the higher your rank on helium for your article the more likely it is to be read.

That said direct self promotion such as publishing your links on myspace or a forum or your own website also adds hits, but that is true of any site.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - confused   Just joined - confused Empty

Back to top Go down

Just joined - confused
Page 1 of 1