www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted

Go down 
+3
Ciao's Favourite Member
lisa2062
atticusuk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted Empty
PostSubject: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:44

Article at the bottom of page 4 in todays Times detailed the possibility that businesses who post reviews or blogs under a false identity that show themselves in glowing terms could face prosecution from next year under an EU directive.

This includes authors who praise themselves on Amazon and Trading Standards will name and shame.

Sounds a good idea to me and presumably will impact on Dooyoo and Ciao. I know Dooyoo do not accept reviews from people about their own businesses or sites.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:54

What about naming and shaming the ones who harass members when they've written a negative review on their product? Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 22:55

Is that online?
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 23:14

I could not find it whenI looked for it hence the reference to the page number. I tried searching under blogs but the article did not come up.

The headline was "Fake bloggers soon to be "named and shamed" by Sam Coates one of the political correspondents. Might be able to find it if you hunt for it using that info.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 23:18

Fantastic - should see an end to all those reviews of Countrywide Property Lawyers.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 23:20

Do you think we could persuade Ciao to include 'probably written by the manufacturer or their competitor' as a criteria for reporting abuse?

I see so many one off 'this product is so wonderful I nearly peed myself' reviews written by PR departments and they make me puke.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 10 Feb 2007, 23:30

The way I read the article Ciao would be obliged to take action, apparently amazon have supposed to have introduced some better vetting of their reviewers after an author reviewed and gave five stars to his own book and a hotel in Scotland was caught posting on Tripadvisor.
Back to top Go down
The Polar One

The Polar One

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySun 11 Feb 2007, 02:55

I've noticed some pretty bad problems on sites that host or review smaller software developers products. It can make decision harder to make. So I welcome the move. I didn't realise it had come to Ciao/Dooyoo too.
Back to top Go down
http://bearandbeyond.wordpress.com
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 17 Feb 2007, 22:09

It is not a major problem but the potential is always there.
Back to top Go down
jesi

jesi

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2006-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 06:15

people who name themselves after their business, then review their own business? l didn't think that was allowed, either site . . .
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 12:37

Certainly opn Dooyoo you cannot review your own business whether you name yourself after it or not.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 14:29

Surely people name their companies after themselves and not the other way round.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 16:50

Not at all, my real name is Stormrider Freight and Logistics Ltd, but I changed it by deed poll.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
jesi

jesi

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 17:26

koshkha wrote:
Surely people name their companies after themselves and not the other way round.

if you are a "returning" member you cannot always use your original user name . . . and l've seen absolutely loads of "Quick Reviews" by members whose user-name is advertisement in itself ~~~

sunny
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 19:53

No jesi - I meant in the real world.

People name their businesses after themselves - e.g. Joe Bloggs has Joe Bloggs plumbers. Rather than Joe Bloggs changes his name to Joe I'llunblockyourdrains when he buys a business called I'll Unblock Your Drains.
Back to top Go down
jesi

jesi

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted EmptySat 12 Jan 2008, 20:25

koshkha wrote:
No jesi - I meant in the real world.

Ah, l thought Ciao! and DooYoo WERE the real world
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted   Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted Empty

Back to top Go down

Fake Reviews and bloggers to be prosecuted
Page 1 of 1