www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 
 

 New penalties on using phones whilst driving

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

avatar

Number of posts : 1105
Age : 44
Location : Kettering
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Tue 27 Feb 2007, 18:27

About time too, the amount of people I see using their phones whilst driving is unbelievable. I counted 30 on a 10 mile stretch of the M1 last friday. Hopefully the 3 points and better policing will force through the message.

I heard a police inspector on the radio saying that hands free kits were as distracting as holding the phone and you could be liable for a penalty with those too if you drive badly. Whilst I dont believe they are as dangerous, they are indeed distracting and I'd ban them too.

Its about time they put in a zero tolerance attitude to drink driving now !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lisa2062

avatar

Number of posts : 2129
Age : 35
Location : Dorset
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Tue 27 Feb 2007, 19:10

I would certainly ban the use of hands free phones as well, as your whole attention should be on the road ahead. Hopefully the 3 penalties and 60 fee will deter a lot of people, although your still get loads who think it's acceptable and they'll get away with it. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
koshkha

avatar

Number of posts : 1091
Age : 53
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Tue 27 Feb 2007, 20:19

I would agree with you if I thought that there were any police out on the roads to catch the phone abusers. Since the powers that be swapped them all for speed cameras, your chances of getting caught on the phone are tiddly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drewboy
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1685
Age : 38
Location : Glasgow
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Tue 27 Feb 2007, 21:30

Um, I actually dont, for the most part, think it is that big a problem. The stat I saw was that they 'could have had an impact' in 6 road deaths last year.

If they are going to bad that, they should ban reading maps, putting on lipstick, and tuning the radio.

_________________
Hold a hard drive to your ear - listen to the C:\
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marandina

avatar

Number of posts : 736
Location : Northampton
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Tue 27 Feb 2007, 21:39

lisa2062 wrote:
I would certainly ban the use of hands free phones as well, as your whole attention should be on the road ahead. Hopefully the 3 penalties and 60 fee will deter a lot of people, although your still get loads who think it's acceptable and they'll get away with it. Lisa x

You have a point. I was talking on hands free t'other day and missed my motorway exit. I got on the M6 North rather than going South. Doh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casheroonie.com
helencbradshaw

avatar

Number of posts : 1982
Age : 50
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 00:06

marandina wrote:
lisa2062 wrote:
I would certainly ban the use of hands free phones as well, as your whole attention should be on the road ahead. Hopefully the 3 penalties and 60 fee will deter a lot of people, although your still get loads who think it's acceptable and they'll get away with it. Lisa x

You have a point. I was talking on hands free t'other day and missed my motorway exit. I got on the M6 North rather than going South. Doh!

Well as long as you didn't kill anyone going Northbound, that is forgiveable. (unless they are from Wigan... affraid )

So much business is done by people in cars these days it is untrue. for the 12 months before I left my last company I practically lived in my car and took calls all day long from 130 different hotels.

Obviously if I was in an area which needed concentration, I just didn't answer it, as I felt they could wait...! But I am not sure it needs banning completely...companies need to be mindful of their employees on the road, more so than they are perhaps and should consider it as part of normal H&S Risk Assessment. I think driver common sense/caution applies (and I have never had an accident - other than a car park ding in 2004 when I hit a post that definitely wasn't there when I parked Shocked ...so never had an accident at speed, as it were....) THis applies to people ringing mobile staff as much as the staff themselves..i.e. general courtesy and asking if it is ok to talk..

however I can see some personality types who would be a danger as they are wheeling/dealing and driving all at once! These are more often male, not that I am stereo-typing the male driver Laughing , but is based on my scientific straw poll of all my fellow colleagues who drove all day..!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
kelr101

avatar

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 00:20

WormThatTurned wrote:
About time too, the amount of people I see using their phones whilst driving is unbelievable. I counted 30 on a 10 mile stretch of the M1 last friday. Hopefully the 3 points and better policing will force through the message.


Isn't this just as bad - surely you were distracted yourself wondering what other drivers were doing in their vehicles? Your own eyes should be on the road, and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles...not counting the number of idiots on their mobiles. Yes it's frustrating, and yes they can cause accidents but imagine how you would feel driving up the back of the lorry because you were too busy looking at someone on the phone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencbradshaw

avatar

Number of posts : 1982
Age : 50
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 00:35

WormThatTurned wrote:
About time too, the amount of people I see using their phones whilst driving is unbelievable. I counted 30 on a 10 mile stretch of the M1 last friday. Hopefully the 3 points and better policing will force through the message.




I did wonder how you did this too.... Surprised

now if it was the M25, it would have been understandable Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Essexgirl

avatar

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 17:40

Personally I hate it when I give way to a car, and then realise they are on the phone. Finish your phone call before joing the traffic. Saying that, if a driver wasn't concentrating I would prefer them to be in front of me rather than behind...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atticusuk

avatar

Number of posts : 1972
Location : Northampton
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 17:45

drewboy wrote:
.

If they are going to bad that, they should ban reading maps, putting on lipstick, and tuning the radio.

That was a useful insight into what Drew does while driving.

Personally I'm not as good a driver when on the phone and actually I think I'm even worse if I have someone in the car with me and we are talking as that distracts me just as much. I could do with a hands free kit as it is hard to text in my car while I'm having a shave in the morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

avatar

Number of posts : 1091
Age : 53
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 19:53

Problem is that by extension of that logic, all parents with small kids would have to lock them in the boot when driving. I remember a friend's daughter lobbing a rugby ball at her head as she was driving along. I'm absolutely convinced that kids in a car are a greater distraction than a mobile phone - and the phone is bad enough.

Since I'm feeling a bit of a fascist this afternoon, I'd be in favour of a ban on smoking in cars - anyone ever seen the chaos caused when smokers throw butts (cigarette butts, not their own) out of the window and they blow back in again? Funny as hell but very dangerous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atticusuk

avatar

Number of posts : 1972
Location : Northampton
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 20:29

koshkha wrote:
Problem is that by extension of that logic, all parents with small kids would have to lock them in the boot when driving. I remember a friend's daughter lobbing a rugby ball at her head as she was driving along. I'm absolutely convinced that kids in a car are a greater distraction than a mobile phone - and the phone is bad enough.

Since I'm feeling a bit of a fascist this afternoon, I'd be in favour of a ban on smoking in cars - anyone ever seen the chaos caused when smokers throw butts (cigarette butts, not their own) out of the window and they blow back in again? Funny as hell but very dangerous.

Even worse I tried to throw a smoking child out of the car. Actually my kids are terrible I now sit my 13 year old in the front seat as left in the back the pair are at each other throats non stop and make driving more dangerous.

The boot was once threatened as a punishment followed by a five minute argument over who got to be put in the boot as they both saw it as a treat rather than a punishment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drewboy
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1685
Age : 38
Location : Glasgow
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 21:53

atticusuk wrote:


The boot was once threatened as a punishment followed by a five minute argument over who got to be put in the boot as they both saw it as a treat rather than a punishment.

I just to LOVE sitting in the boot of my dads old Pug 405 estate, really did see that as a treat.

I agree with the kids thing, I was thinking about that today when driving home and saw a mother with one of those mini MPV's (fail to see the point, they still have the same number of seats and kids generally fit into a Fiesta's back seat anyway) with kids going nuts and her screaming into the back seat.

I really don't see any difference.

_________________
Hold a hard drive to your ear - listen to the C:\
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marandina

avatar

Number of posts : 736
Location : Northampton
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 22:03

atticusuk wrote:
Even worse I tried to throw a smoking child out of the car. Actually my kids are terrible I now sit my 13 year old in the front seat as left in the back the pair are at each other throats non stop and make driving more dangerous.

The boot was once threatened as a punishment followed by a five minute argument over who got to be put in the boot as they both saw it as a treat rather than a punishment.

Well, if you will fill the car boot with gameboys and bags of M & Ms.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casheroonie.com
spoilt_little_brat

avatar

Number of posts : 1427
Age : 33
Location : Conisbrough nr Doncaster
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 23:41

I think some of you have missed the point when picking up on how you can see if people are on their phone. I always see people on their mobile when driving. You always see people pulling out on you or driving crazy and notice them on their phone. I used to smoke while driving and used to drive all over the place when trying to light the damn thing, or changing the post code on my sat nav.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencbradshaw

avatar

Number of posts : 1982
Age : 50
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Wed 28 Feb 2007, 23:55

I have spent a lot of time driving during the working day, covering all of England and Scotland.

I agree with you , yes when someone moves out in front etc and does something stupid as they are not concentrating...I might notice that. and that might happen, say once a day that is memorable.

I wouldn't have counted all the others though, I think that was where the surprise was!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

avatar

Number of posts : 1427
Age : 33
Location : Conisbrough nr Doncaster
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:09

LOL, just wormy being a nosey driver me thinks SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mauri



Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:21

drewboy wrote:


If they are going to bad that, they should ban reading maps, putting on lipstick, and tuning the radio.

It is it's called driving without due care and attention!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WormThatTurned

avatar

Number of posts : 1105
Age : 44
Location : Kettering
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:38

koshkha wrote:
I would agree with you if I thought that there were any police out on the roads to catch the phone abusers. Since the powers that be swapped them all for speed cameras, your chances of getting caught on the phone are tiddly.

I agree completely with you. Excellent point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WormThatTurned

avatar

Number of posts : 1105
Age : 44
Location : Kettering
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:40

drewboy wrote:
Um, I actually dont, for the most part, think it is that big a problem. The stat I saw was that they 'could have had an impact' in 6 road deaths last year.

If they are going to bad that, they should ban reading maps, putting on lipstick, and tuning the radio.

I dont believe that stat for a second and even if it were true its 6 deaths too many. I hazard a guess you'd feel a little stronger if a member of your family were the victim of a driver using a mobile !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WormThatTurned

avatar

Number of posts : 1105
Age : 44
Location : Kettering
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:49

kelr101 wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:
About time too, the amount of people I see using their phones whilst driving is unbelievable. I counted 30 on a 10 mile stretch of the M1 last friday. Hopefully the 3 points and better policing will force through the message.


Isn't this just as bad - surely you were distracted yourself wondering what other drivers were doing in their vehicles? Your own eyes should be on the road, and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles...not counting the number of idiots on their mobiles. Yes it's frustrating, and yes they can cause accidents but imagine how you would feel driving up the back of the lorry because you were too busy looking at someone on the phone


You make it sound like I had notepad and pen and looking from side to side like a crazed maniac lol.

All I did was glance to the side when vehicles overtook me and kept a running total. Completely safe and 100 % in control.

Anyway you missed the whole point, I was highlighting how the previous law (30) was flouted and how this law was a long time coming (60 + 3 points). I think a lot will think twice now although not all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WormThatTurned

avatar

Number of posts : 1105
Age : 44
Location : Kettering
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 17:53

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
or changing the post code on my sat nav.

They are a menace too, Id ban them as well. They are worse than hands free mobiles.

Makes you wonder what people did before mobile technology huh. A bit of peace and quiet me thinks !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drewboy
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1685
Age : 38
Location : Glasgow
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 21:50

WormThatTurned wrote:

I hazard a guess you'd feel a little stronger if a member of your family were the victim of a driver using a mobile !!

Yup, but then I wouldn't be being objective. I would feel different on many various issues if my family were involved but then that is precisly why it is the Government that make laws and decisions and being a vililanty (cant spell that!) is illegal.

I am against the death penalty but I have no doubt that I would be crying out for it if one of my family were killed, however it doesn't make it right.

_________________
Hold a hard drive to your ear - listen to the C:\
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marandina

avatar

Number of posts : 736
Location : Northampton
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 21:54

WormThatTurned wrote:
spoilt_little_brat wrote:
or changing the post code on my sat nav.

They are a menace too, Id ban them as well. They are worse than hands free mobiles.

Makes you wonder what people did before mobile technology huh. A bit of peace and quiet me thinks !!

Whatever happened to a good 'ole Road Atlas and following signs? Those blinkin' sat navs are a pain in the assienda....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casheroonie.com
helencbradshaw

avatar

Number of posts : 1982
Age : 50
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   Thu 01 Mar 2007, 23:18

marandina wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:
spoilt_little_brat wrote:
or changing the post code on my sat nav.

They are a menace too, Id ban them as well. They are worse than hands free mobiles.

Makes you wonder what people did before mobile technology huh. A bit of peace and quiet me thinks !!

Whatever happened to a good 'ole Road Atlas and following signs? Those blinkin' sat navs are a pain in the assienda....
How truly quaint!

I actually bought a new one the other week, as a sanity check, in case my sat nav does a funny and sends me on a tourist route...had a few misguided attempts over the last few years!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   

Back to top Go down
 
New penalties on using phones whilst driving
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Rigid Industries SRM-2 Driving LED Light
» Senior Driving Test?
» Cell Phones and Airbags: Music and Baking Soda
» Barry Brickell
» Lower radiator hose came flying off

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: