www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!

Go down 
+5
Ciao's Favourite Member
Ailran
scream4bruce
helencbradshaw
The Polar One
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The Polar One

The Polar One

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! Empty
PostSubject: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 02:27

I still see this going on, and not just from newbies. It's bad enough when people simply recount the plot from start to finish in exact detail. Yet worse when they suddenly mention the ending with no warning whatsoever. Thanks a bunch!

So how do people rate these things? Because I also see plenty (or at least too many) VH and H ratings in reviews that give away the ending. Does it not matter if a film is say older than 10 years?

If a reviewer feels a significant point can be made by telling the ending, should they do it? Are 'spoiler' warnings acceptable?

I feel a full blown rant coming on, so I'll quickly depart and see if anyone else has a comment to make.
Back to top Go down
http://bearandbeyond.wordpress.com
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 02:33

SH for plot spoilers!

It ruined it for me when I read a Titanic review and learned that it sank..
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 06:12

I would rate lower for revealing the ending. Anything within spoiler tags I won't read but I might see it as padding, as there should be enough elsewhere to write about. To my dismay telling a story again in detail picks up favourable rates.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 11:48

If someone tells me the ending of the story, or even a major plot point, then they will get an SH straight away, doesnt matter how good the rest of the review is. Sometimes I can see VH or H given if there is a major plot point given away that someone who hasnt seen the film would realise, at least until they see the film anyway (I gave two really good film reviewers SH for one film a month or so ago because they revealed something that, to me, was a major twist), but never ever for giving away the ending. VH or H for that means to me that the person rating hasnt read the review properly!

And you'll get me ranting on this as well!
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 12:17

I'd rate lower, but it would depend on the severity of the spoiler. I'm not a big fan of 'spoiler' warnings either as you can't guarantee you'd not scan through the spoiler bit.

It's not a blanket policy though because there are some things that are just too well known, such as Helen's example of Titanic.

Last edited by on Sat 03 Mar 2007, 14:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 13:30

I think they still get good rates because a lot of people don't actually read the whole way through and realise they've given away the ending.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 13:43

I think it also depends if the film has already been seen by the reader or if they intend to never watch it anyway. If that is the case then plot spoilers wouldn't make any difference becasue they either already know the ending or are not bothered if they are told as they will never be watching it.

It depends if you are rating on usefulness to you or usefulness to others.

(that being said - I wouldn't add an ending to a film review. I did it once with big plot spoilers in the title so no-one would even open it if they didn't want to - but have since realised it is not appreciated anyway! lol)
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 14:22

For any fiction based film that doesn't rely on well-known historical information for a major plot point (like Titanic, it's taught in school the ship sinks, basically the point the film relies on you to know) I would rate from SH to NH. Depending on the review and film, there may be a few exceptions that I have used as loopholes myself, which include the aforementioned historically well-known fact that leaves no other resolution possible (otherwise it would turn into alternate fiction) or if the actual ending resolution is given out in no uncertain terms at the very beginning of the film, so the viewer will know perfectly well where the film is going towards, and how it will eventually end. But even then, those considerations must be handled just right to convey a sense that this is not a major plot spoiler. But generally in a linear fiction film, a definite low rate for giving out the end (or in some cases, a significant portion of plot).
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 15:19

I agree with Jani also, that except for well known endings such as the Titanic, I would rate either SH or NH. What surprises me though although I don't suppose it should, is some reviews that recount the film almost word for word get a high majority of 'E' ratings.
When it comes to major plot twists then if I haven't seen the film I know, no different. Saying that if I see the film shortly after reading a review and realise they've given away too much, then if I remember I will go back and change my rating and say why.
Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 15:21

I was joking about the Titanic...!!!!

However, just because the Titanic sank, doesn't mean it excuses giving away the ending of the film, or the entire "plot" of that actual interpretation!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 15:23

I think the key is balance, the plot should only be very short - a mere outline - the opinion itself should be the lion's share of the review...! If the review is very discriptive it usually has too much plot.
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 15:50

helencbradshaw wrote:
However, just because the Titanic sank, doesn't mean it excuses giving away the ending of the film, or the entire "plot" of that actual interpretation!

If we're talking about the Cameron Titanic, then I think it wouldn't be a major spoiler as the film is not about the sinking of the ship, but of the love story of Rose and Jack that just happens within the context of a well-known historical incident. Therefore the fact that the ship sinks is something you take for granted as the whole idea of "doomed love" is at the heart of the story, emphasised by the fact that they are ON THE TITANIC. What you shouldn't give out in a review of that film is what happens to the fictious pair of Jack and Rose. That would be a major spoiler and should not in any circumstance be revealed.

Agree on the balance thing though.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 15:51

berlioz wrote:
helencbradshaw wrote:

If we're talking about the Cameron Titanic, then I think it wouldn't be a major spoiler as the film is not about the sinking of the ship, but of the love story of Rose and Jack that just happens within the context of a well-known historical incident. Therefore the fact that the ship sinks is something you take for granted as the whole idea of "doomed love" is at the heart of the story, emphasised by the fact that they are ON THE TITANIC. What you shouldn't give out in a review of that film is what happens to the fictious pair of Jack and Rose. That would be a major spoiler and should not in any circumstance be revealed.

Agree on the balance thing though.

That's what I said... Laughing
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 15:53

You should be more detailed then! Wink
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 16:08

berlioz wrote:
You should be more detailed then! Wink

I bet you are one of these people who writes 5000 word book and film reviews affraid
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 16:45

I've only ever written one book review I would own up to today and it turned out to be not that long. Film reviews today? Mostly Aaron length I would say.

But honestly I though you were objecting to the sinking bit.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 16:51

berlioz wrote:
I've only ever written one book review I would own up to today and it turned out to be not that long. Film reviews today? Mostly Aaron length I would say.

But honestly I though you were objecting to the sinking bit.

helencbradshaw wrote:
I was joking about the Titanic...!!!!

Maybe you just had to be there... geek
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 16:55

And you also said:

Quote :
just because the Titanic sank, doesn't mean it excuses giving away the ending of the film, or the entire "plot" of that actual interpretation!

That to me refers to the sinking.
Back to top Go down
The Polar One

The Polar One

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 18:51

IT SINKS!!!!! affraid

I thought it was a sequal to The Abyss, and Cameron was going to get his aqua-alien chums to save the day!!!

RUINED!!!!!

Wink

On a more serious note - It's good hear everyone's thoughts. I've never been bothered by clearly marked spoiler sections, so I'll take it on board that many don't like them. I have a vested interest in that there is a film where the ending deserves critical analysis, especially as the whole plot is pretty thin, but I hate to give away endings. (as you could tell)
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 18:55

berlioz wrote:
And you also said:

Quote :
just because the Titanic sank, doesn't mean it excuses giving away the ending of the film, or the entire "plot" of that actual interpretation!

That to me refers to the sinking.

I didnt mean that at all! (And I had already said I was joking!!)

I meant the now 10yr old interpretation of the Titanic Story.. i.e. the blockbuster film and the love story of Jack and Rose!!!

But, I don't like headings on film reviews and if people put "plot" "opinion" and even worse "spoilers" as their headings, then these do not fair well on the rating stakes for me!
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 21:27

WendyBull wrote:
I think it also depends if the film has already been seen by the reader or if they intend to never watch it anyway. If that is the case then plot spoilers wouldn't make any difference becasue they either already know the ending or are not bothered if they are told as they will never be watching it.

It depends if you are rating on usefulness to you or usefulness to others.

(that being said - I wouldn't add an ending to a film review. I did it once with big plot spoilers in the title so no-one would even open it if they didn't want to - but have since realised it is not appreciated anyway! lol)

I think if i rated film reviews on usefullness to me rather than usefullness to a general reader then very, very few would get above an H. There are not that many writers who give enough of a personal opinion to make me give more. I say this because for most major, and a lot of minor films that come out i the cinema I already know everything a reviewer could tell me about the cast, director, plot etc.
I dont mean that in a big headed way but just from the fact that I love films, see too many every year on the big screen and just read a lot about them Smile
Back to top Go down
The Polar One

The Polar One

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySat 03 Mar 2007, 23:37

Ailran wrote:
I say this because for most major, and a lot of minor films that come out i the cinema I already know everything a reviewer could tell me about the cast, director, plot etc.
I dont mean that in a big headed way but just from the fact that I love films, see too many every year on the big screen and just read a lot about them Smile
'tis true that you recognise more obscure stuff than most, but I'll be putting that foreknowledge to the test. I have an eclectic bunch of reviews on the way. Should be a laugh.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! EmptySun 04 Mar 2007, 02:18

Now that sounds interesting, I will be looking forward to reading these new reviews of yours then to se how many I have never heard of!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!   Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Film Reviews - so that's how it ends!!!
Page 1 of 1