www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Favourite dot colour

Go down 
+13
marcellep
helencbradshaw
Ailran
atticusuk
susie19
thebluehippo
lisa2062
berlioz
liz1102
Minnitee
Ciao's Favourite Member
scream4bruce
duskmaiden
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which was your favourite colour to be??
White
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap6%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Green
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap3%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Violet
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap26%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 26% [ 8 ]
Red
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap13%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
Orange
 3% [ 1 ]
Bronze
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap0%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Silver
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap13%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
Gold
 0% [ 0 ]
Black
 0% [ 0 ]
Don't know
 3% [ 1 ]
Dots are pointless and encourage churning and inane comments
Favourite dot colour Vote_lcap32%Favourite dot colour Vote_rcap
 32% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
duskmaiden

duskmaiden

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2006-10-27

Favourite dot colour Empty
PostSubject: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 03:55

I have been inspired by a certain respected member's excellent review on community points to create a poll to find out what is the most popular dot colour. banal yes, but such is Ciao

My answer would be red. it's the nicest colour and Iifelt I was truly part of he Cio community by then
Back to top Go down
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 04:07

I have to go for the last choice. I feel if there weren't dots then I would spend a lot less time on the site. I see it as a bad thing for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 16:11

Dots have no influence on the time I spend (or don't spend) on Ciao. However, for the most part, I think the dot and point system caters for and attracts idiots. These are the same people that equate dot colour to writing ability or community status. There are a lot of idiots on Ciao.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 16:40

I quite like the violet dot and if I had a choice I would keep it for good. It's a shame that you can't actually pick your own colour. I wish they were independent from community points as I don't care about them but quite like the little sprinkle of colour next to my name.
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 21:07

It was never the dot color that made me want to churn or produce useless comments, but the community points instead. When I was active, I had a mild obsession with always needing to leave on a round number of points, so if I was at, say 1006, I'd go read something and comment, just to get it to 1010 and I could leave content!
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 21:39

liz1102 wrote:
It was never the dot color that made me want to churn or produce useless comments, but the community points instead. When I was active, I had a mild obsession with always needing to leave on a round number of points, so if I was at, say 1006, I'd go read something and comment, just to get it to 1010 and I could leave content!

You are such a weirdo!
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 22:11

I'm well aware of that lol
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySat 07 Apr 2007, 22:38

I don't agree with them as I suspect that some people will only read reviews by a certain colour and above. I came across a newbie the other day who was obviously white, they'd written a good review and were actively reading/rating around. However that member as well as other newbies reviews were largely overlooked in favour of higher ranking dots. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
thebluehippo

thebluehippo

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2006-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySun 08 Apr 2007, 11:01

I liked the blue, the only dot worth having which incidently you missed off the survey.
Back to top Go down
susie19

susie19

Number of posts : 2315
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptySun 08 Apr 2007, 15:39

What a surprise that you would pick blue affraid
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyMon 09 Apr 2007, 10:41

I love the sincere hope that a white dot signifies before the will to live is crushed out of you by the time you get to green and realise that you will never be able to give up the day job to write reviews full time and that person who sends you the warm fluffy greetin in your guestbook does not want to sleep with you rather they just want you to read their three thousand word cafe review on flatulance.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyMon 09 Apr 2007, 15:29

I think most people only care about the dot colours when the first join, once you reach a certain stage it takes so long to change colours that you forget all about them, well at least til you get close to the next one like I am now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyThu 12 Apr 2007, 22:42

Silver rules, or violet/purple.

even if it took 6 years to get it lol! (that's the silver, not the violet/purple)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
marcellep

marcellep

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyMon 23 Apr 2007, 10:41

I picked red as that was where I was when closed my orginal account, I hate being white as everyone assume I am new to Ciao........
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyMon 23 Apr 2007, 13:10

You make a good point about being white. If I look at the new review list and it's page after page of white dot reviews, I just don't read them.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyMon 23 Apr 2007, 20:36

I never look at the new review list... I no bad me, I can just about keep up with alerts and reading most of the new DVD reviews! Smile
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyMon 23 Apr 2007, 22:02

I try and keep up with alerts, as well as checking out new members when I can. I do feel sorry in some respects for white dots, as some people automatically ignore their reviews. Of course and it applys to any dot colour, if the same member constantly writes short txt reviews which are usually a rant then I'll ignore their's in the future.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyTue 24 Apr 2007, 10:28

We all went through being ignored when we were white - and to be fair it's probably the best thing. My early reviews were awful - I'm really glad that nobody read them.

And no, I don't feel the slightest big guilty for not reading many newbies. They'll thank me for it later when they don't have a bit stack of SH's.

Life's too short to read rubbish
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyTue 24 Apr 2007, 11:07

yes good point there, most of the DVD reviews i read from new members get SH or NH ... so imagine how much more hated i would be if i read even more Smile
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyTue 24 Apr 2007, 16:00

Like I said it is a shame in some incidences as I've come across some good reviews by newbies who actively read/rate others, but don't get them in return because they're white dots.
Also I notice that while a member gets rates from various coloured dots, you'll notice sometimes that they'll receive quite a few rates from members the same colour as them. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyWed 25 Apr 2007, 02:43

There certainly are/have been some great white dot reviewers. I would say that in the DVD section I come across one for about every 20 I read.
And Ithink it is the case that you do 'pal' up with people who start around the same time as you at first. When I first started there were about 5 or 6 of use who used to chat all the time in the GBs
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyWed 25 Apr 2007, 19:36

If you are a great white dot, you don't stay white for long. And people who like what you do will go back and have a look at your early stuff later on.
Back to top Go down
terryfaescotland2

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyThu 26 Apr 2007, 21:53

Why isn't there a blue option?
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyThu 24 May 2007, 17:14

I wonder why they were brought in, in the first place. I've noticed more and more recently that higher dots for example are getting a higher percentage of 'E' ratings, even though they've clearly stated they've only owned the product for barely 5 minutes. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour EmptyThu 24 May 2007, 22:58

Dots were brought in way back in 2001 to soften the blow when Ciao reduced their payments per read from 3p across the board to only paying for some categories.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite dot colour   Favourite dot colour Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite dot colour
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next