www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Booming population

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Booming population   Booming population EmptyWed 24 Oct 2007, 17:31

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1681672007

This report puts some light on the scale of our booming population, triggered by mass immigration. Whilst counting the coffers at our expanding economy because of this I hope Gordon Brown has plans in place to help our buckling, weight laden infrastructure (roads/ homes/ health/ schools etc etc).

Although immigration is positive in itself, surely an overhaul of immigration policy is required otherwise we could be heading for any amount of problems.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptyThu 25 Oct 2007, 11:48

WormThatTurned wrote:
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1681672007

This report puts some light on the scale of our booming population, triggered by mass immigration. Whilst counting the coffers at our expanding economy because of this I hope Gordon Brown has plans in place to help our buckling, weight laden infrastructure (roads/ homes/ health/ schools etc etc).

Although immigration is positive in itself, surely an overhaul of immigration policy is required otherwise we could be heading for any amount of problems.

The article and the reports of this have been slightly misleading in that these figures are PROJECTIONS based on current rates rather than PREDICTIONS... this makes a huge difference on whether we expect the populations to get to this level.

To take an example in the 60's with the baby boom populations projections for the year 2000 were around 75 million, this never came about because the birth rate did not sustain itself at that level. In the same way these latest projections are based on a level of brith rate and immigration at present rate which takes into account the high influx form eastern Europe straight after expansion, which might not be likely to continue.

Again I wonder about the amount of publicity that this has received and the underlying comment in the media.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptyThu 25 Oct 2007, 12:03

I am despairing at the media at the moment..!

However I did see some clips from 1971, I think it was, about that earlier projection and suggesting people all had fewer kids etc, quite amusing to see it now. Of course the following year was a massive boom so I guess people didnt pay immediate attention..!

I do think that immigration will need to be better aligned with infrastructure etc, or we could be in trouble. However, 50 years from now, we could all be emigrating to Eastern Europe or China for our own better life..!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptyFri 26 Oct 2007, 13:55

Interesting fact I heard on the radio this morning...

For the UK to have the same population density as Jersey we would have to increase our population by 170million...quite a way to go...
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptySat 27 Oct 2007, 15:53

Quite a way we dont want to go !!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptySat 27 Oct 2007, 16:06

be interesting to see Jersey's carbon footprint then...!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptySun 28 Oct 2007, 14:52

I would think that the growing elderly demographic will have more to do with population levels than immigration. As people immigrate others emigrate and I honestly do not believe immigration will be a huge problem in the future.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptySun 28 Oct 2007, 17:47

Dididave, any chance you could make your avatar a bit smaller? I don't know if the same thing is happening to other people but on my screen it's so wide that everything else is scrunched up.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population EmptySun 28 Oct 2007, 18:33

koshkha wrote:
Dididave, any chance you could make your avatar a bit smaller? I don't know if the same thing is happening to other people but on my screen it's so wide that everything else is scrunched up.

Thanks

Oo yeah, just noticed myself. Will fix it!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Sponsored content

Booming population Empty
PostSubject: Re: Booming population   Booming population Empty

Back to top Go down

Booming population
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: