www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Earnings

Go down 
+11
atticusuk
lisa2062
Persephone
dididave
Ciao's Favourite Member
fizzywizzy
kenjohn
helencbradshaw
WendyBull
steerpyke
Thingywhatsit
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Earnings   Earnings EmptyMon 19 Nov 2007, 21:15

How are your earning doing on Helium ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 20 Nov 2007, 01:06

going reasonably well, especially considering I have had a few months off from writing. Have made about $120 dollars since joining (jan 07) and at the moment am making about $10- $15 a month just coasting on stuff I wrote months back.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 20 Nov 2007, 01:08

It's great isnt it. I earn between 200 and 300 dollars a month and even articles that do not do well in competitions continue to pay long afterwards. Hey steer, you must be earning a whack out of introducing me to the site.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 20 Nov 2007, 01:18

Its certainly helps but have decided to keep my day job for a few more months.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 20 Nov 2007, 01:19

You entering contests again ?
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 20 Nov 2007, 11:48

not really had the time to dedicate to contests but may get back on board when I'm all settled in the new flat...soon.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyWed 30 Jan 2008, 00:39

I am up to $10 or so and I haven't done a thing on there for months! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyWed 30 Jan 2008, 01:29

About $3
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyWed 30 Jan 2008, 01:31

How many articles have you got published Helen?
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyWed 30 Jan 2008, 02:18

Not sure. Less than 10 I guess. Might be 5 or so. I dont particularly like the site, as articles seem to be tenuously linked to their category...so no back catalog to post and as I dont like the rating system I havent spent much time there writing new stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
kenjohn

kenjohn

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 01:17

helencbradshaw wrote:
Not sure. Less than 10 I guess. Might be 5 or so. I dont particularly like the site, as articles seem to be tenuously linked to their category...so no back catalog to post and as I dont like the rating system I havent spent much time there writing new stuff.

I agree with Helen. The rating system totally sucks, and there simply isn't the same fun on "Speaker's Corner" type articles with no comments or feedback.

Ken
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 11:17

It's a great shame you see it that way. Yes comments are great, but by goodness when you get into the Helium experience the earnings are amazing and that speaks volumes more than "Nominated !" comments made by insincere people.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 11:47

I agree with Rachel. The earnings on Helium are excellent. And once you have posted your articles they are always there earning money. So even if you take a break you are still making money. On Ciao and Dooyoo your articles have an earning life that doesn't last very long. Once all the regulars have read it its pretty much dead in the water as far as making money is concerned.

My current biggest earnning article is at $12.comething
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 15:15

Thingywhatsit wrote:
It's a great shame you see it that way. Yes comments are great, but by goodness when you get into the Helium experience the earnings are amazing and that speaks volumes more than "Nominated !" comments made by insincere people.

Except it's only a minority of people that see it this way and the vast majority of people have serious issues with various aspects of how Helium operates inclusing the rating system and the lack of quality control in topics where crud is still top of the pile MONTHS after being posted.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 15:52

I think if you read the forums in the success area you may feel differently. It's not a minority any more. It's a lot of people, earning a great deal of money.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 16:14

I don't doubt that some people can earn big time on the site, but that still doesn't mean the rating system is any cop (and Helium know this given the amount of carrots they've introduced to get people to rate) or effective (topics that I looked at last week are really not sorted by quality despite having articles that are months old) and if you think the majority are earning "a great deal of money" then you're, at the very least, mistaken.

I certainly don't think that the site is tailored for those that want to dip in from time to time and thevast majority of big money earners are on the site for a substantial amount of time each day.

You might be a success story on Helium, but to suggest that your earnings are the norm is misleading. Additionally, the earnings factor is only a small point in getting people interested in Helium. Having to wade through the clunky rating system and watching poor quality articles rise to the top of the pile while better ones sink is arguably more important. You'd have to be paying me a lot more than I'm getting from the site (or was getting from the site) to overlook these hugely annoying aspects.

Is the effort worth the reward (not just monetary)? For me (and people like Helen), the answer is definitely "no".
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 16:18

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
I don't doubt that some people can earn big time on the site, but that still doesn't mean the rating system is any cop (and Helium know this given the amount of carrots they've introduced to get people to rate) or effective (topics that I looked at last week are really not sorted by quality despite having articles that are months old) and if you think the majority are earning "a great deal of money" then you're, at the very least, mistaken.

I certainly don't think that the site is tailored for those that want to dip in from time to time and thevast majority of big money earners are on the site for a substantial amount of time each day.

You might be a success story on Helium, but to suggest that your earnings are the norm is misleading.

I do think the emphasis on self-promotion via blogs, forums etc is all a bit bleurgh too. If you are super active then I have no doubt the site is set up for you, anyone with less time on their hands would struggle to make any amount of money. The featured article thing is also heavily flawed as it seems to just be the same group of members constantly and your rankings certainly bear no relation to your earnings!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 16:30

Only people who have added a photograph to their about me page can be featured writers so that's easy to achieve.

And really you don't need to be that active. As I said already, your articles keep earning forever unlike Dooyoo and Ciao where they die pretty quickly.

I've only recently become more active and I've earned several hundred dollars.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 16:56

fizzywizzy wrote:
Only people who have added a photograph to their about me page can be featured writers so that's easy to achieve.

And really you don't need to be that active. As I said already, your articles keep earning forever unlike Dooyoo and Ciao where they die pretty quickly.

I've only recently become more active and I've earned several hundred dollars.

Genuinely interested to know what you had to do to earn that sort of money. I have been a member for a while, have fourteen articles up yet have not even come close to cashing out. Is it more about huge volumes of work then? My reviews are ranked highly.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 17:10

I have about 250 articles posted, ranked high, middle, bottom. Oddly, some of the lower ones have done quite well earnings-wise.

My top earning article is about what you can/can't take your hand luggage on a plane. I guess it keeps earning because its something people use the net to check quite a lot.

Other high paying ones are so diverse you can't account for why they are biggies - the history of the rocking chair, how to look after opals, what you need to know before climbing Everest, the history of Russian ballet.

I have links on other sites to only a couple of my articles so that's not how I do it. It is just writing articles on topics people want to read about. And choosing good keywords helps too
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 17:14

fizzywizzy wrote:
I have about 250 articles posted, ranked high, middle, bottom. Oddly, some of the lower ones have done quite well earnings-wise.

My top earning article is about what you can/can't take your hand luggage on a plane. I guess it keeps earning because its something people use the net to check quite a lot.

Other high paying ones are so diverse you can't account for why they are biggies - the history of the rocking chair, how to look after opals, what you need to know before climbing Everest, the history of Russian ballet.

I have links on other sites to only a couple of my articles so that's not how I do it. It is just writing articles on topics people want to read about. And choosing good keywords helps too

250! No wonder then, I might have to cross post a couple more then.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 17:18

dididave wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:

But many are cross posted or slightly adapted from Dooyoo and Ciao articles.

In fact I have been able to make a couple of articles by adapting some of my lengthier travel ops - for example, splitting it into the public transport, the activities and/or the accommodation options in a given city or resort.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 17:21

fizzywizzy wrote:
dididave wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:

But many are cross posted or slightly adapted from Dooyoo and Ciao articles.

In fact I have been able to make a couple of articles by adapting some of my lengthier travel ops - for example, splitting it into the public transport, the activities and/or the accommodation options in a given city or resort.

Might try that although I only have two MASSIVE travel ops on Disneyland Florida and Seaworld
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 17:31

I think the point that the two of us is making about earnings is that the potential is there. Many review writers are used to not posting more than a couple of reviews a week, which is fine on their chosen sites, but and it is a big but, if they choose to post all their articles to Helium in one day, then they are quite entitled to.

The rating system is getting much more efficient and there are all kinds of things going on to ensure that this is the case.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 17:36

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I think the point that the two of us is making about earnings is that the potential is there. Many review writers are used to not posting more than a couple of reviews a week, which is fine on their chosen sites, but and it is a big but, if they choose to post all their articles to Helium in one day, then they are quite entitled to.

The rating system is getting much more efficient and there are all kinds of things going on to ensure that this is the case.

So Rachel, as someone in the know, what are they do about the continued poor categorisation when you are trying to rate? Meaning why do I get constant review about beauty and make-up when I wrote one review on a man's razor? I don't think anyone has ever argued that Helium has not got potential but the progress has been very slow to the casual observer and negative in some cases.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Earnings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earnings   Earnings Empty

Back to top Go down

Earnings
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next