www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fairytale of New York

Go down 
+5
Ciao's Favourite Member
atticusuk
spoilt_little_brat
lisa2062
drewboy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Fairytale of New York Empty
PostSubject: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 16:36

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7149525.stm

I can't believe this! I love this song, it is not only my fav Christmas song, but one of my all time fav songs.

Personally, I find it more offensive for the BBC to presume that they speak for me when saying the line is actually offensive. It is perfectly obvious to me that this is a character piece and since this is how they speak, this is how it should be portrayed.

Chris Moyles is WAY more offensive to me yet they allow him to speak his drivel everyday......
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 17:54

The PC brigade love it don't they, the trouble is most songs, TV sketches e.t.c have the potential to offend somebody but you can take it too far. Take for example the characters Lou and Andy from little Britain where he pretends he's wheelchair bound, but clearly has full use of his legs.
At the end of the day like you say it's how the Characters in the song were, and it just seems silly to have to alter everything these days so as not to offend. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 18:48

I also notice that out of 11692, 95.45% of people think it should NOT be censored. That makes it clear to me that most people are not so stupid to get over excited about something so silly.

I love this song, like you Drew it is my all time best christmas song.

I can never understand why the PC police are so quick to jump on classic songs like this one, but yet won't stop some of the act's on Little Britain like Lisa said. Madness.

I'm off to play Fairytale of New York now :p.....
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 19:20

I assume that it is the fishing pressure groups that have complained about it. Calling a maggot lousy is quite offensive the bunch of poofs.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 21:15

WTT just told me that it is Chris Moyles trying to get it to number one in the charts by causing all this news.

Also, how come it is out of order to call someone a cheap lazy faggot but ok to say an old slut on junk? lol.... anyway the whole thing is very laughable
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 21:18

Oh and don't know if any of you are from Bristol, but if you are this is very funny. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8hmvWNx9U
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 23:09

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
WTT just told me that it is Chris Moyles trying to get it to number one in the charts by causing all this news.

Also, how come it is out of order to call someone a cheap lazy faggot but ok to say an old slut on junk? lol.... anyway the whole thing is very laughable

That bit has been bleeped out as well as far as I am aware....
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyTue 18 Dec 2007, 23:57

The very idea that radio 1 DJs can influence the record buying public to such an extent that they can get a favourite record to number one in the charts is offensive to me.

Scott Mills did the same thing a few years ago with the atrocious cover of "Mad World".

It's not on, I tell you.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 00:42

Well, part of me hopes that it does get to number one, as I hate the fact that x factor has it sewn up by default now. However, I HATE Chris Moyles and would hate to see him get the credit for it.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 00:51

The decision has been reversed, thank god. Although Peter Thatchill has stuck his oar in, saying that the original decision was correct. For a man that has done a lot of good, man he can be SO wrong as well.....
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 01:03

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
The very idea that radio 1 DJs can influence the record buying public to such an extent that they can get a favourite record to number one in the charts is offensive to me.

Scott Mills did the same thing a few years ago with the atrocious cover of "Mad World".

It's not on, I tell you.

Moyles did the same thing not long since with a single by Billie Piper and because of him it re-entered the charts at number one.

I do hate this current culture of whoever win's the X Factor always has a Christmas number one.

What ever happened to a band doing a 'real' christmas song?!?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 01:38

Oh I love this song too, in fact anything by her.

haven't heard of the outcry despite listening to BBC radio for far too long on my new daily commute

x factor...who won then? Bland was not the word this year - I really didn't warm to any of em!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 09:57

Leon won the X Factor. Was quite a shock, but although he is like Michael Buble, and I love Buble, his winners single is just crap.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 11:23

If it had been any of the swear words that had been bleeped, I'd have been with you in condemning it as over-reaction but as it's the other F-word, I actually think this is the write thing to do.

I wasn't aware of just how offensive the term faggot is until my sister (who's gay) explained that it relates to the idea that a gay person is only worthy of being burned (like a faggot of wood). Ever since that was explained to me I've been completely anti this particular word and on the basis that people use it without realising what it means, I would support having it dubbed over.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 11:24

Oh, and I adore Kirsty Macoll, I met the Pogues in their early days and I love the song. But I still think that the faggot has to go.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 11:54

Colin Murray is promoting a song on his show to be number one instead of the x factor winner.
Back to top Go down
Paul99ine

Paul99ine

Number of posts : 3215

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 12:00

atticusuk wrote:
Colin Murray is promoting a song on his show to be number one instead of the x factor winner.

How about a total ban on a Christmas number one.....
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 18:49

Stupid to bleep it out. Thank gawd the bosses of Radio 1 have had to backtrack. Mind due it was only an attempt to publicise Radio 1 's campaign to get it to number 1.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyThu 20 Dec 2007, 17:55

Calling all the RWF gay members.

Are you offended by the term 'faggot'?

Or am I alone in being offended on your behalf?
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyThu 20 Dec 2007, 21:18

It is an offensive word, and if someone was to call me that I would be more than a little peeved off.

However, the BBC have no right to ban that word when the context it was used in is no different, in my opinion, that Chris Moyles calling things 'gay'.

And in the song, it is not directed at anyone who is gay as an insult, its a mud slinging match between a couple about to break up. There are various other parts of the song that are just as offensive.

And, the song is essentially a character piece where these lyrics, do fit - rightly or wrongly. Do we therefore have to re-write any film, play, song or poem that uses language that TODAY we would find utterly offensive?
Back to top Go down
Paul99ine

Paul99ine

Number of posts : 3215

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York EmptyThu 20 Dec 2007, 23:20

A sensible, well thought and written response.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fairytale of New York   Fairytale of New York Empty

Back to top Go down

Fairytale of New York
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: