www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stars on Helium

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptyFri 21 Dec 2007, 18:21

I actually like the stars on helium because if the quality of a writer falls, so do their stars too. On other sites like ciao, you keep your dot regardless of quality and I believe having rating and writing stars is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 18:40

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I actually like the stars on helium because if the quality of a writer falls, so do their stars too. On other sites like ciao, you keep your dot regardless of quality and I believe having rating and writing stars is a good thing.

"dots" on ciao have got nothing to do with quality...! More to do with time spent there!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 19:38

From what I read last night, the stars rely heavily on "quantity" too.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 19:42

They actually depend on a combination of things which can be read here. The advantage from what I can see is that if you are inconsistent with your activity on the site, you can lose stars rather than keeping recognition from early use of the site.

http://www.helium.com/user/recognition
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 19:54

The rating stars rely on quantity of rates and time.

I'm still not sure why Helium has stars for rating. Member rates are unimportant to earnings.

"Writing stars" also require quantity of reviews. In essence they don't say much. I think if you're trying to indicate the quality of member in terms of writing, then there are probably better ways of doing it, but again, is it really necessary to rank members?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 19:57

You say that in criticism although I am sure that in the past I have heard you dispute on sites like dooyoo about people and give and take in reading other people's reviews. I believe the stars gives a good indication of those members that work equally hard on both areas of rating and reading and is no different from the statistics shown on sites like ciao and dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 20:02

Dooyoo (and Ciao) are different because you rely on members reading your work to earn, which is why I think it's a handy figure to have. This isn't the case on Helium. Additionally, members can choose exactly what they want to read on Dooyoo (and Ciao). Therefore ranking members in rating and displaying this is a pointless exercise.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 20:05

I think you are missing the point. Rating also helps other members since if we all refused to rate, the articles would sit in a pile and no one would gain anything. By contributing equally in both sides of rating and writing, I feel members get a better feel for the whole participating thing on Helium.

One point you seem to miss out on altogether is the earnings potential on Helium as opposed to ciao and dooyoo where earnings stagnate after the first couple of reads. On Helium, the articles earn for ever, and are for ever shifted by people writing new articles, and the whole pile being re-shuffled, giving every writer a chance for premium amount of reads.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium EmptySat 22 Dec 2007, 20:15

What does earning potential have to do with stars?

Anyway, I'm not missing any point. The rating system on Helium is a joke and if Helium want the content ranked quickly and properly then this is the wrong way to go about it. Ratings pairs is a good idea, but you should be to select individual categories, not any old muck within channels. If there's one thing the negative Helium people seem to agree on, it's the rating system sucks ass.

In fact, I believe the rating ranking system was set up to, like Ciao, fool the people into doing something that's clunky, just like when the dot system was brought in to disguise the drop in payments. It's making folk think they have to rate when, in reality, they don't have to do any such thing. It doesn't serve any useful purpose to the members.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stars on Helium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stars on Helium   Stars on Helium Empty

Back to top Go down

Stars on Helium
Page 1 of 1