www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Energy - More Coal?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Energy - More Coal? Empty
PostSubject: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptySun 06 Jan 2008, 21:00

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7169105.stm

What did we all think about one of this week's biggest environmental news stories?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptySun 06 Jan 2008, 21:22

I think it's another government stitch up to get us all to support nuclear. I doubt they have any intention of letting anyone build another coal power station
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptySun 06 Jan 2008, 23:04

I am only half way through reading the link but had to say, I hate E.ON (and not just because I work for British Gas Razz). And I though E.On's main advertising campaign was that they were all for green energy?
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptySun 06 Jan 2008, 23:09

Quote :
But Ben Stuart, the communications director of Greenpeace, accused E.ON of being "the largest polluter in Britain and being reckless in building the power station".

Haha, guess that puts a stop to their moto of 'Leading the way'
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyMon 07 Jan 2008, 00:05

I think our Government is intent on following France's example of going nuclear and not being held to ransom on the gas markets like we are at the moment.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyMon 07 Jan 2008, 21:09

WormThatTurned wrote:
I think our Government is intent on following France's example of going nuclear and not being held to ransom on the gas markets like we are at the moment.

How would that help? I'm not all that read up on this topic, however having Nuclear power stations wouldn't mean I would get rid of my combi boiler and gas cooker......
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyMon 07 Jan 2008, 21:42

Didnt say I approved Drew, thats how I see it. Look at the 2006 Energy review which claimed we should be going nuclear. Gas prices have increased dramatically and nuclear would 'seem' a viable solution for our energy needs.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyMon 07 Jan 2008, 22:51

do you mean Wormy that you think we will switch to electric and use nuclear to generate that electricity, instead of sticking with gas? I'm not sure that will happen in our lifetimes, assuming new sources of gas are found.

I think the nuclear argument is about the demand problem of electricity in that it's a technology that's here and now, and there are supplies of the resources required in the process - more than we can reasonable ever require.

I dont think it is about the gas markets, as thats a 'relatively' short term thing, and power stations take years to commission and decommission.

With regards to the decision at hand, personally while neither solution is perfect, and despite Eon's convincing presentations I think the coal burning power station might be a backward step, as the technology to do whatever they are proposing with the carbon to bury it (and I forget the name of it) isn't a technology that currently exists (so the public might get convinced by an argument on the environment and safety that might not happen)

On the other hand, Nuclear, well no one wants that in the back yard do they, because of the waste problem with that too..!

I still think allowing it to happen with coal is a mistake, myself. We'll be sitting here in 2050 wondering what idiot agreed it.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyMon 07 Jan 2008, 23:29

I think Wormy has a point. The Russians are buying up all the gas supply chains and could hold western europe to ransom if they restrict the supply. We saw them do it to (? was it) the Ukraine last year when they cut the supply.

It makes me nervous too. I wouldn't trust our future energy supplies to Putin and his cronies.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyMon 07 Jan 2008, 23:31

I think Wormy has a point. The Russians are buying up all the gas supply chains and could hold western europe to ransom if they restrict the supply. We saw them do it to (? was it) the Ukraine last year when they cut the supply.

It makes me nervous too. I wouldn't trust our future energy supplies to Putin and his cronies.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyTue 08 Jan 2008, 00:58

WormThatTurned wrote:
Didnt say I approved Drew, thats how I see it. Look at the 2006 Energy review which claimed we should be going nuclear. Gas prices have increased dramatically and nuclear would 'seem' a viable solution for our energy needs.

Oh I get that gas prices are rising, I just honestly am not clued up enough to know the ins and outs of it. Or how this particular market works overall.

So, what I am asking, is that how does it make a difference to gas consumers, buy building nuclear power stations? Since they produce electricity, I am not sure where the lower dependency on gas comes in.

Is gas used currently to produce electricity?
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyTue 08 Jan 2008, 01:25

The national grid is powered by a combination of sources; Gas (40 odd percent and rising) being one of them. If the Nuclear avenue was followed there would be less reliance on the importation of the highly volatile Gas markets. Im still not sure about Nuclear though. I know we have to meet our energy needs somehow but id be loathe to follow the French example, nearly wholly nuclear.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyTue 08 Jan 2008, 02:50

drewboy wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

Oh I get that gas prices are rising, I just honestly am not clued up enough to know the ins and outs of it. Or how this particular market works overall.

So, what I am asking, is that how does it make a difference to gas consumers, buy building nuclear power stations? Since they produce electricity, I am not sure where the lower dependency on gas comes in.

Is gas used currently to produce electricity?

Gas power stations can product electricity, but nuclear produces electricity (but not gas...).

Nuclear can only cause a shift away from gas if consumers/corporations swith to electricity because they no longer wish to use gas (cost reasons)...or gas is running out (not likely in our lifetime)
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyTue 08 Jan 2008, 11:41

Using gas to make electricity was always a dumb idea. We didn't value the gas when we had a lot of it.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? EmptyTue 08 Jan 2008, 15:34

WormThatTurned wrote:
The national grid is powered by a combination of sources; Gas (40 odd percent and rising) being one of them. If the Nuclear avenue was followed there would be less reliance on the importation of the highly volatile Gas markets. Im still not sure about Nuclear though. I know we have to meet our energy needs somehow but id be loathe to follow the French example, nearly wholly nuclear.

AH, I didn't realise we did that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Energy - More Coal?   Energy - More Coal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Energy - More Coal?
Page 1 of 1