www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sellers giving feedback

Go down 
+3
Ciao's Favourite Member
dididave
drewboy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Sellers giving feedback Empty
PostSubject: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 15:46

Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 15:56

I am reading right that sellers will not be allowed to leave any negative feedback? Not sure about that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 16:46

I've only ever had one failed transaction and I was the seller. A buyer pulled out of a £320 auction AFTER bidding had ended with the flimsiest of excuses and eBay weren't interested in hearing my claim.

I didn't even bother pursuing it as I managed to sell the item for more off-site a day later, but eBay really *Bad word* me off.

That was 6 years ago when they weren't even that big. I dread to think what they'd do now in similar situations. I haven't listed an auction since then, mind you.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 16:48

dididave wrote:
I am reading right that sellers will not be allowed to leave any negative feedback? Not sure about that.

Yup.

I agree with it in principle. There have beena couple of times when, as a buyer, things havent went right but of course the thing the seller has a hold of you for is that if you give bad feedback, they can too.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyTue 19 Feb 2008, 21:54

That's rubbish. Buyers are every bit as evil, deceitful and dishonest as sellers. This is just another example of ebay taking the side of the buyer (from whom they earn nothing) against the seller who pays the listing, the commission and those bloody paypal fees. It's far too one-sided.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 00:30

koshkha wrote:
That's rubbish. Buyers are every bit as evil, deceitful and dishonest as sellers. This is just another example of ebay taking the side of the buyer (from whom they earn nothing) against the seller who pays the listing, the commission and those bloody paypal fees. It's far too one-sided.

A buyer is only expected to do one thing. Pay. If they're late, it's not ideal, but given that they don't get the goods until they've paid, the seller has lost very little.

A seller has to do many things. He must send the goods, charge fair postage rates, package them well, send them promptly and, of course, describe the item accurately in the first place. He has a lot of opportunity to break his side of the deal. And he has the seller's money before any of this is realised.

Worst case for seller? Buyer doesn't pay. Seller still has goods and relists. He can claim a credit for fees paid as a result of a non-paying bidder.

Worst case for buyer? They lose all their money or end up with rubbish goods, with little or no recourse.

Sellers enjoy many benefits from using eBay. They can avoid the costs of running their own web site / business; they benefit from the huge brand and pay fairly low fees on the items they sell. If it's cheaper to do it another way, they'd, erm, do it another way.

To say that eBay earns nothing from the buyers is, frankly, astonishingly naive. The sellers may pay the fees directly to eBay, but there is the small matter of somebody buying something off them in the first place. Both parties are therefore critical to the eBay operating model.

I generally only sell stuff on eBay and I welcome the change, which will start to add value to the feedback system. Buyers can finally say what they really think, without fear of retaliation and decent sellers have nothing to fear. There will ALWAYS be a minor element of nut cases (my only negative feedback comes from a seller who stated "won't give me feedback, perhaps now you will". Whuh?) but the reality is that an active seller who generally does the right thing won't suffer.

Realistically, 100% positive feedback should be virtually unknown as you simply can't please all of the people all of the time. A system that enables buyers to be honest without fear of retaliation is entirely a positive thing.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 01:34

koshkha wrote:

Um, wot Phil said.

As soon as a buyer pays, they should get feedback as they have done what is required.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 11:01

I think rather than scrapping sellers feedback they should have to leave feedback as soon as a buyer has paid before the buyer leaves feedback. That should sort things out better than scrapping sellers feedback altogether.

It's the fear of getting negative from buyer that stops sellers leaving positive feedback until later on and as Drew said, after a buyer has paid, really they have fulfilled there end of the bargain.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 11:53

Buyers send cheques that bounce.

Buyers make paypal payments using stolen credit cards and paypal takes the money back

Buyers don't pay for weeks and then only after many reminders

Buyers claim the product didn't arrive when it did

Buyers claim the product was broken after they broke it.

Don't be so naive as to think that all buyers are angels. There's plenty they can do that's *Bad word* and plenty of sellers who've had their fingers burnt by dishonest buyers.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 11:55

dididave wrote:
I think rather than scrapping sellers feedback they should have to leave feedback as soon as a buyer has paid before the buyer leaves feedback. That should sort things out better than scrapping sellers feedback altogether.

It's the fear of getting negative from buyer that stops sellers leaving positive feedback until later on and as Drew said, after a buyer has paid, really they have fulfilled there end of the bargain.

Again I disagree. As a seller, I want to know that the item has arrived and the buyer is happy before I leave feedback. If I give them a positive only to find that a week later they claim it hasn't arrived, start demanding compensation and THREATEN that if they don't get what they want they'll neg me, then that's hardly fair.

And I speak as someone with a 100% rating as both a buyer and a seller but also as someone who no longer sells much at all because the odds are stacked so much in favour of the buyers by eBay's attitude to protecting the buyer and not the seller.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 13:48

koshkha wrote:
dididave wrote:

Again I disagree. As a seller, I want to know that the item has arrived and the buyer is happy before I leave feedback. If I give them a positive only to find that a week later they claim it hasn't arrived, start demanding compensation and THREATEN that if they don't get what they want they'll neg me, then that's hardly fair.

And I speak as someone with a 100% rating as both a buyer and a seller but also as someone who no longer sells much at all because the odds are stacked so much in favour of the buyers by eBay's attitude to protecting the buyer and not the seller.

Surely these are minority cases though and will only make up a tiny percentage of your feedback? I think the positives outweight the negatives (groan) in that case as most buyers are clever enough to realise when feedback is false and you still have the option to respond on your feedback received.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 15:17

I agree. I think the crap buyers are a minority and this system whereby sellers don't leave feedback until the buyer has left their own is ridiculous. In the majority of cases, the buyer fulfils their obligation once they've paid. Feedback should be left then.

Perhaps there is a place for a secondary feedback system IF things don't go according to plan, like an after sales feedback system (is there such a thing? I don't use eBay that often), but the old system was pants IMO.

Last edited by Ciao's Favourite Member on Wed 20 Feb 2008, 15:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 15:19

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
I agree. I think the crap buyers are a minority and this system whereby sellers don't leave feedback until the buyer has left their own is ridiculous.

Perhaps there is a place for a secondary feedback system IF things don't go according to plan , like an after sales feedback system (is there such a thing? I don't use eBay that often), but the old system was pants IMO.

Well there is an option to comment on the feedback someone has left for you so you do have a visible right of reply. I know as a buyer I read these before writing a seller off.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyWed 20 Feb 2008, 21:51

koshkha wrote:
Buyers send cheques that bounce.

I never send goods paid for by cheque until funds are cleared.

koshkha wrote:
Buyers make paypal payments using stolen credit cards and paypal takes the money back.

So? If they do that, it's a criminal offence. I hardly think you leaving them negative feedback will help. They'll be long gone!

koshkha wrote:
Buyers don't pay for weeks and then only after many reminders.

No payment - no goods. What does a seller actually lose from this scenario? It's frustrating but otherwise no big deal.

koshkha wrote:
Buyers claim the product didn't arrive when it did

Get a certificate of posting. If they say it didn't arrive, you can claim off the Post Office. No loss to seller.

koshkha wrote:
Buyers claim the product was broken after they broke it.

Get a certificate of posting. If they say it's been damaged, you can claim off the Post Office. No loss to seller.

koshkha wrote:
Don't be so naive as to think that all buyers are angels. There's plenty they can do that's *Bad word* and plenty of sellers who've had their fingers burnt by dishonest buyers.

I agree - but I think the exposure on a seller's part is far less than that of a buyer. And I think the ratio of evil sellers to evil buyers is about 200:1. Of all the items I ever bought off someone on eBay, I would argue that at least 50% were described incorrectly, were packaged dreadfully or I was ripped off on the postage.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 00:04

I would agree with Phil overall.

I have spent a bit of time reading those message boards, blimey.

Mind you it is amazing how shocking some of the stories are about buyers being ripped off big time AND yet they still don't want to leave a neg in case they get a red gif in return.

Madness.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 14:14

I had something earlier this week.

I have been selling a ring and the winning bid was for £7K. After it is sold I look at the address and it is Nigeria, so I emailed the buyer telling them it was UK only and if they wanted it sent to that address it would cost £130 via FedEx to get insured.

He wasn't having any of it saying he had already paid via PayPal and wanted it Royal Mail, which my post master said not to do as it would not cover the costs of the ring.

Anyway then started getting Paypal emails saying the money has been paid by this buyer but I needed to email/call them with the shipping number before the money would show into my account.

Rang Paypal up, a huge scam. Aghhhh

Thank God I didn't send the damn thing.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 15:19

Never send anything to Nigeria......!
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 16:11

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
I had something earlier this week.

I have been selling a ring and the winning bid was for £7K. After it is sold I look at the address and it is Nigeria, so I emailed the buyer telling them it was UK only and if they wanted it sent to that address it would cost £130 via FedEx to get insured.

He wasn't having any of it saying he had already paid via PayPal and wanted it Royal Mail, which my post master said not to do as it would not cover the costs of the ring.

Anyway then started getting Paypal emails saying the money has been paid by this buyer but I needed to email/call them with the shipping number before the money would show into my account.

Rang Paypal up, a huge scam. Aghhhh

Thank God I didn't send the damn thing.

Which backs up my comment that sellers need to be able to leave feedback.

You should also adjust your 'preferences' so that you can't get bids from countries you won't deliver to.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyThu 21 Feb 2008, 17:42

drewboy wrote:
Never send anything to Nigeria......!

Hehe, I have no intention of doing so Smile
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 00:07

koshkha wrote:

Which backs up my comment that sellers need to be able to leave feedback.

You should also adjust your 'preferences' so that you can't get bids from countries you won't deliver to.

Do you really think that feedback prevents this kind of thing. Con artists don't generally hang around for repeat visits; they set up new accounts.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 01:58

They don't need to set up new accounts if nobody can leave bad feedback on them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sellers giving feedback   Sellers giving feedback Empty

Back to top Go down

Sellers giving feedback
Page 1 of 1