www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

What unpopular opinions do you have ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 12:59

While I do not boycott Nestle, I do not agree with them sending free samples of infant formula in the developing world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 13:43

I don't believe we have ever debated "Aide"!

That said, without trying to take this thread off topic, as it isnt what it is about, I think the balance of power on "Aide" with strings attached has always favoured the developed world...and we give a pitiful amount of Aide overall given our own comfortable lifestyles (and that includes people on low incomes/minimum wages in developed countries, who still have a roof over their head, and water in their tap)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 14:10

Shouldn't this debate go off somewhere else (like a new thread) so we can all get back to airing our less detailed bigoted thoughts and unpopular opinions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 14:52

In that case I shall add some more opinions and keep the thread going.

I believe that plastic carrier bags should be banned

I think that the influx of eastern European migrants has been fantastic for the UK

I think that all school children should be taken to see Auschwitz (or another similar camp) before they finish secondary education

I think that children should not have mobile phones

I think that people whose music can be heard leaking from their earphones should be given a warning then subsequently banned from public transport.

I think that people daft enough to pay for speedy boarding on low cosst airlines should be pilloried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 15:17

I seldom disagree with you fizz but the speedy boarding plus system (the new version with the special check in desk) is the only thing that makes having to use easyJet for business bearable. I don't care when I get on the plane but I do want to jump that line. What's daft about that?

If you are travelling for fun then sure, why pay 7.50 each way? If you are travelling for work and can save an hour standing in a line getting stressed, it's the best bargain in the flight industry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 15:36

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
And what about the 6 week holidays?

Do you holidays get paid?

I know when I was a LSA we were not Sad (and in some caes were doing more work then the teachers!)

What six week holiday???? I really wish people would not keep banging on about this mythical six week holiday teachers are supposed to get, I have never had six weeks off.

You must be confusing it with the eight week holiday I get each summer, which is paid at the miserably low wage I get during the rest of the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 15:44

atticusuk wrote:
And what about the 6 week holidays?

Do you holidays get paid?

I know when I was a LSA we were not Sad (and in some caes were doing more work then the teachers!)

What six week holiday???? I really wish people would not keep banging on about this mythical six week holiday teachers are supposed to get, I have never had six weeks off.

I didn't think you had been there a year yet, is that why you haven't had your lsix weeks off?

Mind you, I would kill for a long break like that every year paid, EVEN on a 'poor' teacher's wage...my elder sister is a nurse and she gets eight weeks a year, (and a salary well above national average). A bit of salary sacrifice for more time off seems like a deal to me!
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 15:52

Actually you are right, this is my first year but we get eight weeks in the summer, I finish on July 4th this year. Plus next term is pretty easy as all my classes bar one are on exam leave from the 9th May and the other class goes on the 23rd then I have two weeks of no lessons followed by four final weeks when the year 12 lot return. Not a bad life but mainly because I teach only year 12 & 13, other teachers do not get such a timetable.

On the down side next week I will have about 60 mock exams to mark and only one week to do it so it will be 14 hour days until I get that done. Add in a two hour round trip and I will be rather fatigued. Now all say aaaah diddums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 16:08

koshkha wrote:
I seldom disagree with you fizz but the speedy boarding plus system (the new version with the special check in desk) is the only thing that makes having to use easyJet for business bearable. I don't care when I get on the plane but I do want to jump that line. What's daft about that?

If you are travelling for fun then sure, why pay 7.50 each way? If you are travelling for work and can save an hour standing in a line getting stressed, it's the best bargain in the flight industry.

Barbara - that plane's not leaving until everyone's on it. You pay your money if you want but I don't care where I sit - incidentally where is the best place to sit on an Easyjet flight? - and I'll be as slow as I can to wind you up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 16:52

atticusuk wrote:

On the down side next week I will have about 60 mock exams to mark and only one week to do it so it will be 14 hour days until I get that done. Add in a two hour round trip and I will be rather fatigued. Now all say aaaah diddums.

Aaah Diddums. geek

I have a four hour round trip at the moment, and 14 hour days are normal in my industry..! (All year round!)
Back to top Go down
koshkha

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Thu 03 Apr 2008, 17:52

fizzywizzy wrote:
koshkha wrote:

Barbara - that plane's not leaving until everyone's on it. You pay your money if you want but I don't care where I sit - incidentally where is the best place to sit on an Easyjet flight? - and I'll be as slow as I can to wind you up!

That's what I said - I don't care where I sit or when I got on the plane but I do want to avoid the queue at check in. Speedy boarding plus means I can leave the office 45 minutes later and know I'll not have problems checking in. That's 45 mins more work to get done. And when I'm going from Luton, I can leave home later because I don't have to allow for check-in delays. That's the value for me in this system. I am not going to run up the plane steps like a shopper on the first day of the sales but 7.50 for the peace of mind of a short queue is worth it (especially when work are paying).

Speedy boarding (without the plus) was a waste of money. SBP is good value.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 15:56

I only just found this. What fun!

* All women should be sterilised after two children, regardless of income, educational status or any other factor. It's a nice, consistent, non-discriminatory policy.

* Fair Trade is a misnomer, and enables UK supermarkets to divert attention from the dreadful way that BRITISH suppliers and farmers are treated.

* The UK should become a non-religious country, allowing those who wish to practice faith to do so in private but eliminating all traces of it from schools and work places.

* Taxi drivers should have to take English lessons before they can get a licence.

* Road licenses should be limited to a fixed number meaning that you have to apply to have a car on the road and that it works on the basis that one has to come off the road before one can go on.

* Bring conductors back on buses to throw off people who can't behave / smell / disrupt the journey - zero tolerance please.

* No more multi-lingual signs in public buildings please - this is an English speaking country. Immigrants are very welcome, but as a minimum they can learn the language if they want to study / work here.

* Wales - decide whether you're going to speak Welsh or English and then stop putting all your bloody signs in both languages.

* Close down the Post Offices (see separate review on Dooyoo for the alternatives.)

* Supermarket economy ranges to be withdrawn - at least the meat-based one. Quality is so poor. you're better off without anyway.

* Ban free carrier bags and charge minimum of 50p for each one.

* Supermarkets compulsarily forced to advertise price INCREASES in the same way they highlight price DECREASES.

*Somebody do something about call centres, for God's sake!

* Banks forced to clear transactions within 24 hours - none of this 3-5 working days nonsense.

* Banks forced to open at weekends with full counter service.

* Abolish Bank Holidays - give everyone 5 national holidays to take when they see fit.

I'll be back for another round, I just know I will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 17:16

I agree with most of them, I don't see why we should have to put things in different languages.

I also agree with the Welsh one. I have seen and heard of people who have walked into a Welsh pub/shop etc and all the people in it will start talking Welsh. So rude.

I also 100% agree about call centres. I like to think I am good at my job and very good on the phones, but some of the numpties I work with should not be in that job. They are rude and don't know what the hell they are talking about, often giving customers the wrong help.

The call centre I work for is in Leeds, Rotherham, Cardiff, Glasgow and some admin in In India. They have closed down all but 1 of the Indian sites because of customer feedback.

But yet I have had to move departments because British Gas are going against their customer feedback and are moving their call centres to Scotland and India. Madness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 19:50

But yet I have had to move departments because British Gas are going against their customer feedback and are moving their call centres to Scotland and India. Madness.

Call centres in Scotland! Tsk!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drewboy
Admin

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 21:23

plipplop wrote:

* Banks forced to clear transactions within 24 hours - none of this 3-5 working days nonsense.

This is actually on it's way, most likely by the summer.

drewboy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 21:27

Whats wrong with call centers in Scotland? Glasgow in particular, has a lot of them. Makes perfect sense though as there is a lot of experience here. Plus, having 4 universities and a load of colleges, means that there is an abundance of young people willing to work unsocial hours to provide for the demands of the british public for 24 hour services.

The vase majority of my mates have ALL worked in a call center.

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 21:37

Been in quite a few of Glasgow's Call Centres myself...!
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 22:15

Abbey are based in Scotland. I hate ringing them up because more often than not the jock accent is very difficult to understand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 22:31

The point was more about taking customer services away from the UK to India. Just happened to be that the company is also moving to Scotland.

I was told that a national study showed that a Scottish accent makes a customer calm. I tend to agree with WTT above so I guess it depends who you get through to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sat 05 Apr 2008, 23:18

As I used to be responsible for setting up call centres, in my earlier career, I can confirm that I have read that "accent" survey in a number of cities, Liverpool and Glasgow being just two.

I wish they would stop off shoring service though, although that said, I don't ring many call centres that often at all, less than 10 times a year I would think.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sun 06 Apr 2008, 16:41

WormThatTurned wrote:
Abbey are based in Scotland. I hate ringing them up because more often than not the jock accent is very difficult to understand.

Actually, they have call centers in Bradford, Bournemouth and Belfast too. As well as one in Bangalore.

And having worked in the one in Glasgow, I had no trouble making myself understood.

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sun 06 Apr 2008, 19:26

drewboy wrote:

And having worked in the one in Glasgow, I had no trouble making myself understood.

Yes there have been great educational improvements in Glasgow recently especially in the teaching of spoken English and also that knives can be used alongside forks to eat with rather than stabbing people at the weekend.

Couple more for my list of opinions

Ban all Sunday shop opening and return to a proper day of rest for the majority of people in the country

Ban those loan adverts during daytime television

Ban smoking completely

I do not think Des Lynam is any good at presenting sport, neither is Gary Linekar.

Former Liverpool players should not be TV football pundits

If we can get people into space and know where and when they will land why can't delivery people tell us when a parcel will arrive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sun 06 Apr 2008, 21:14

Definitely with you on the no Sunday shopping. In Slovenia most shops close at lunch time on Saturday and don't open until Monday (except the very biggest hypermarkets and they are pretty quiet on weekends). Families do stuff together instead; it's great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
drewboy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Sun 06 Apr 2008, 22:31

atticusuk wrote:

Yes there have been great educational improvements in Glasgow recently especially in the teaching of spoken English and also that knives can be used alongside forks to eat with rather than stabbing people at the weekend.

A gang carrying knives is better in my book than one carrying guns.

Though I fail to see what that has to do with it?

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   Mon 07 Apr 2008, 00:59

drewboy wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

Actually, they have call centers in Bradford, Bournemouth and Belfast too. As well as one in Bangalore.

Well obviously I had the misfortune of not getting through to you Drew Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What unpopular opinions do you have ?   

Back to top Go down

What unpopular opinions do you have ?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next