www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Checks on migrant workers in this country

Go down 
+2
fizzywizzy
belfin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
belfin

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-02-11

Checks on migrant workers in this country Empty
PostSubject: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyMon 07 Apr 2008, 14:56

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7332697.stm

This story is very personal to me at the moment following the head and hands that were found recently on the beach in my home town of Arbroath.

The woman who died was a Lithuanian who had been in this country working for around 18 months. Two men who are also from Lithuania have been charged with her murder.

My question is not so much about the fact that migrants are working here - that's a whole other issue - but more about wondering what checks are done before people enter this country.

Our area is well known for it's farmland and there are hundreds of migrants around this and neighbouring towns. In a town where we very rarely lock our doors during the day, it is becoming increasingly worrying and as this has happened over the Easter holiday time my friends and I have been extremely worried about giving our children the freedom they usually get.

Just wondered what other people thought.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyMon 07 Apr 2008, 15:08

The two guys who have been charged - have they been convicted of crimes in Lithuania?

Otherwise what use are the checks?

And if they are checked, what are you looking for? What offences, if any, would prevent them entering the UK?
Back to top Go down
belfin

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyMon 07 Apr 2008, 21:56

We don't have many details as yet but thinking about our trip to the States where you have to declare up front if you have ever been arrested (even if you haven't been charged) for anything and you get your fingerprints taken.

Are there any checks like that in place over here or does anyone get in?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyMon 07 Apr 2008, 22:06

belfin wrote:
We don't have many details as yet but thinking about our trip to the States where you have to declare up front if you have ever been arrested (even if you haven't been charged) for anything and you get your fingerprints taken.

Well I know if I get off a plane at Manchester I just walk out the exit once I have my bag through "nothing to declare" with no problems whatsoever!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyTue 08 Apr 2008, 00:36

there are requirements for Employers and Employees which should be filled in. If these are not complied with, then there are stiff penalties. I work in hospitality, which has a high percentage of immigrant workers, and believe me, when the authorities sweep, they check all records, any group I have personally worked in has always endeavoured to ensure their records are above board.

however, I have not seen anything in this story so far that would suggest that the people concerned were working here illegally, or that there was evidence of a prior crime that would affect the safety and freedom of children etc... (sounds more like some crime of passion or something)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
belfin

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyTue 08 Apr 2008, 09:45

helencbradshaw wrote:
however, I have not seen anything in this story so far that would suggest that the people concerned were working here illegally, or that there was evidence of a prior crime that would affect the safety and freedom of children etc... (sounds more like some crime of passion or something)

I wasn't suggesting that they were here working illegally but just that this country doesn't seem to have as strict entry legislation as others. I would have thought killing and then cutting up a body was more that just a crime of passion especially since it involved 2 men. They dumped various bits along our coastline for gods sake and two young children found the head whilst playing on a popular area of the beach. How can people not be concerned about that?

Maybe I'm just being naive staying in a quiet town where things like that don't happen.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyTue 08 Apr 2008, 23:54

I am not saying that it shouldn't be a concern however it isn't directly linked to immigration. (and I do stay in a very small place..I doubt there has ever been a murder here!) A Scot could have been equally capable of committing that crime, assuming the circumstances which drove these people to crime are not something which is unique to Lithuania.

However, in response to my comment about a "Crime of Passion" there would seem to be more to this story than a random act of murder, and it is highly likely that the accused knew the victim in some way. Perhaps there is some other agenda at work, but the odds are that it will not be a random murder, and therefore by implication, the risk is not as great to random members of the public.

So to be worried about migrants, simply because there are more in the area than there used to be...well I don't understand that to be honest. After all, what 'checks' are there for anyone else living in Arbroath? I could be a mad axe murderer who hasn't been caught yet and I can buy a house there tomorrow... Shocked

(I won't, I've done my VERY long spell north of the border!)

As for us not having as strict legislation as others, we have been roaming he world pretty freely for hundreds of years, in fact we built an empire on it, but the borders are open within Europe, and therefore we are all in the same position pretty much, legally.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyWed 09 Apr 2008, 01:52

belfin wrote:

I don't think the American model is anything to go by though. Being fingerprinted or retina scanned just for touching down in the country is ludicrous (and you get that, even if you're only changing planes in a connection and aren't setting foot onto "proper" American soil.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyWed 09 Apr 2008, 02:00

Its not the best model at all, it is an over-reaction and perhaps paranoia to threat of terrorism (and it is one that infuriates the hell out of me, as it assumes guilt before proven)

( I worked for an American company for a loooong time, I can remember being told I should not travel to places like Turkey and Cyprus. This was dead serious and was well meaning advice)
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyWed 09 Apr 2008, 10:44

helencbradshaw wrote:
Its not the best model at all, it is an over-reaction and perhaps paranoia to threat of terrorism (and it is one that infuriates the hell out of me, as it assumes guilt before proven)

( I worked for an American company for a loooong time, I can remember being told I should not travel to places like Turkey and Cyprus. This was dead serious and was well meaning advice)

I read an article last week where an American said the Americans should not go to Cuba because they risk death! Classic!
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyWed 09 Apr 2008, 13:20

fizzywizzy wrote:
helencbradshaw wrote:

I read an article last week where an American said the Americans should not go to Cuba because they risk death! Classic!

Having just been to Cuba I would like to confirm that they would face death. I would also like this rumour to become accepted by Americans as fact that way they will never go and spoil a great place to visit.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyThu 10 Apr 2008, 00:19

They are completely paranoid..!

They did send me into South Africa alone though on a consulting contract, in the name of profit...but then didnt want to come themselves!!!!!

However, that was fine, cancelling my Cyprus holiday seemed a tad over the top...!
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country EmptyThu 10 Apr 2008, 10:35

atticusuk wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
helencbradshaw wrote:

Having just been to Cuba I would like to confirm that they would face death. I would also like this rumour to become accepted by Americans as fact that way they will never go and spoil a great place to visit.

On a serious note, Cubans have no problem with individual Americans.

But it is nice to go somewhere they aren't (the Americans that is)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checks on migrant workers in this country   Checks on migrant workers in this country Empty

Back to top Go down

Checks on migrant workers in this country
Page 1 of 1