www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Magazines / Periodicals

Go down 
+5
marandina
Mum52
Jill Murphy
dididave
jaggynettles
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Magazines / Periodicals Empty
PostSubject: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyTue 07 Mar 2006, 18:31

Hiya - Just a question about reviewing magazines/ periodicals.

I rated a review "useful" because it failed to mention how often it was issued (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly etc), how much it cost, if you could buy it in a shop or you had to subscribe to it. Every other member who rated the review, rated it as "very useful" .

The review was a really detailed and well written but how can you make a buying decision about a peridoical if you have no idea whether it comes out twice a year or twelve times a year, whether it costs £1 per issue or £5 per issue?

Just wanted to know your thoughts? Was I being to harsh in marking it down for no mentioning these things?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyTue 07 Mar 2006, 18:37

For me I probably would rate down. As you say the price and how often it is released is important. Of course this might not be important to everybody...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyTue 07 Mar 2006, 18:38

I would be far more interested in the content and quality of the articles contained within than any of the piddly bits like how much it cost. It wouldn't affect my rating. Factual details I can obtain anywhere. A decent critique of a magazine I can't. I might not nominate/E it. Might not. Might though.

But I'm not you, am I? If it matters to you, then it matters to you. Rating isn't objective, or we might as well get one staffer (or a robot) to do it after ticking X number of boxes.
Back to top Go down
jaggynettles

jaggynettles

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 10:54

Jill Murphy wrote:
...piddly bits like how much it cost. .... Rating isn't objective, or we might as well get one staffer (or a robot) to do it after ticking X number of boxes.

I'm not sure if your response was meant to come across so forthright, but i took it that way.

Of course ratings are supposed to be subjective but my initial question was only following on from a thread that was discussed at length last week about what reviewers think is and isn't important in a DVD review. As this is a forum for discussing reviews, i thought my question was valid.
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 19:01

Jill Murphy wrote:
the piddly bits like how much it cost.
That would, actually, be very important to some people who are on a tight budget. Some magazines are ridiculously expensive, especially those for children and once you get sucked into the 'buy each issue' and it's several pounds a week it can add up.

I'd also want to know where and how easily a magazine can be bought, whether it has to be sent for, subscribed to online and so on, because we've often been trying to find a particular one only to discover that none of our local newsagents stock it!
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 19:46

It was just my immediate response. I didn't consider whether I was being forthright or not, sorry. I don't bother looking in the mirror much either! I don't look at the prices of magazine I buy. I don't buy many, but I buy them on content, not price. That's the point. It's not important to me. It is important to you. So the question's irrelevant - there's no proper rating. There's peer review. Everyone's equal. Rate on your needs. I can't be considering whether other people are on a budget or not when I rate, because I'm not on a budget. I'm a peer. You're all peers. You're not me. I'm not you. Otherwise, as I say, why not just get a bot to do the rating?
Back to top Go down
marandina

marandina

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 22:20

Jill Murphy wrote:
It was just my immediate response. I didn't consider whether I was being forthright or not, sorry. I don't bother looking in the mirror much either! I don't look at the prices of magazine I buy. I don't buy many, but I buy them on content, not price. That's the point. It's not important to me. It is important to you. So the question's irrelevant - there's no proper rating. There's peer review. Everyone's equal. Rate on your needs. I can't be considering whether other people are on a budget or not when I rate, because I'm not on a budget. I'm a peer. You're all peers. You're not me. I'm not you. Otherwise, as I say, why not just get a bot to do the rating?

Can I just point out that Jill rocks? It's nothing to do with the debate, really. It just needed saying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casheroonie.com
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyTue 11 Apr 2006, 22:49

I think that if its important to you to know how often the magazine comes out, and incidentally I would want to know that too, as long as your rating is backed up with a comment that allows the user to edit to include the missing information, then your rating is valid and you have qualified it by saying that it is important to YOU as a rater.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
mattygroves

mattygroves

Number of posts : 397
Location : I like it here, but I have a summer home in reality

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyWed 12 Apr 2006, 11:05

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I think that if its important to you to know how often the magazine comes out, and incidentally I would want to know that too, as long as your rating is backed up with a comment that allows the user to edit to include the missing information, then your rating is valid and you have qualified it by saying that it is important to YOU as a rater.

I wouldn't ask the user to edit to include the 'missing' information - I suspect if the writer edited every time someone said "but what about the length", the review would be bloated with ultimately trivial information.

It's not always (and I stress the 'always') the best thing to harp on about what could be changed/added/included. As has been pointed out, what is important to one is trivial to another.

I for one hate book reviews that include the ISBN number and all the plot details (and that includes children's books). Others feel differently. So I might rate an infant's book review (that is a book for infants - not a review written by an infant!) that included details about what happens on every page (and I've read such rreviews) U or even SU - but you might rate it VU. Horses for courses.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyWed 12 Apr 2006, 11:58

Not sure I see the rellevance really, of any of those points but then I am not really interested in magazines.

What I do have respect for is you rating it as you see fit, that to me is the only issue to be dealt with.

I want different things from a review than you do and I do not give a hoot if everyone has rated H and I give VH or vice-versa.

If I was you, I would be proud that I have stuck to my principles and rated it as you saw fit. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals EmptyFri 14 Apr 2006, 00:06

each people ahve different opinions on what makes a good review and some are mor lenient-my opinion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magazines / Periodicals   Magazines / Periodicals Empty

Back to top Go down

Magazines / Periodicals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: REVIEW SITE TALK :: DOOYOO-
Jump to: