www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New penalties on using phones whilst driving

Go down 
+8
Essexgirl
kelr101
helencbradshaw
marandina
drewboy
koshkha
lisa2062
WormThatTurned
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyThu 01 Mar 2007, 23:20

WormThatTurned wrote:
spoilt_little_brat wrote:
or changing the post code on my sat nav.

They are a menace too, Id ban them as well. They are worse than hands free mobiles.

Makes you wonder what people did before mobile technology huh. A bit of peace and quiet me thinks !!

Sat Navs are not the menace, mine was completely invaluable for my road based job, (and I have pretty good sense of Britain's road networks and geography already...)

....bad drivers are a menace!

It's like the old gun argument, guns don't kill people, people do...
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Essexgirl

Essexgirl

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 17:41

marandina wrote:

Whatever happened to a good 'ole Road Atlas and following signs? Those blinkin' sat navs are a pain in the assienda....

Surely driving and reading a map is more dangerous than the Sat Nav or phones?!! rabbit
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 18:49

drewboy wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

I hazard a guess you'd feel a little stronger if a member of your family were the victim of a driver using a mobile !!

that is precisly why it is the Government that make laws and decisions .

Good job they increased the punishments on driving whilst using a mobile them eh
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 18:51

marandina wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:
or changing the post code on my sat nav.

They are a menace too, Id ban them as well. They are worse than hands free mobiles.

Makes you wonder what people did before mobile technology huh. A bit of peace and quiet me thinks !!

Whatever happened to a good 'ole Road Atlas and following signs? Those blinkin' sat navs are a pain in the assienda....

I think sat navs are overrated and expensive. If I dont know where Im going, I look at a map before I set off !!

My g/f's sat nav (navman) never sends us in the way I would have gone.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 20:48

WormThatTurned wrote:
drewboy wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

I hazard a guess you'd feel a little stronger if a member of your family were the victim of a driver using a mobile !!

that is precisly why it is the Government that make laws and decisions .

Good job they increased the punishments on driving whilst using a mobile them eh

I didn't say they were perfect.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyFri 02 Mar 2007, 22:06

WormThatTurned wrote:
I think sat navs are overrated and expensive. If I dont know where Im going, I look at a map before I set off !!

My g/f's sat nav (navman) never sends us in the way I would have gone.
Perhaps it is broken then or you have it set on shortest route rather than quickest or something like that..Razz.mine is fine, for the most part at least, no major issues with route, not on the whole anyway..

Sat Nav is most useful for the "last mile" really...and it HAS to be safer to listen to someone giving directions than trying to read a map in a built up area..
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 15:59

Your obviously very lucky not to have had to use the newest and highly popular form of being late excuse 'My sat nav........'

Smile
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 23:22

WormThatTurned wrote:
Your obviously very lucky not to have had to use the newest and highly popular form of being late excuse 'My sat nav........'

Smile

OOh I have used that excuse...

If I sleep in for example.... lol!
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 02:21

Mobile phones, whether on hands free or not - I really don't care. People used to get by without phones in their cars and only over the last few years have become so dependant on mobile phones and also Sat Navs.

I have both, mobile phones that NEVER get answered while I'm driving (nothing is so important that it can't wait) and I only ever use Sat Nav when I'm going to a place I've never been before but I still prefer old fashioned maps and even google maps or mapquest to Sat Nav.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 02:27

I got a Sat Nav specifically as I was on the road covering over 100 hotels...and I hadnt been to them all before, and covering a lot of miles. I think they have immeasurable benefits for business. It helped me to be efficient

I think programming in a destination at the start of a journey and listening to voice is safer than trying to read a print out or a map..especially if you get diverted...we don't print for all those eventualities, whereas a Sat Nav will auto correct us.

I don't answer the phone while driving now, as nothing is that urgent (and my personal phone hardly ever rings Sad ). However again, many drivers are workers and it is symptomatic of society that work gets done while driving...rather like the old Blackberry thing, where people answer emails at all hours of day and night..it has become an expectation.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Feb 2008, 01:35

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7222690.stm

This is why the new penalties were needed. Id make them even tougher. Absolutely no excuse to be using your phone whilst driving.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Feb 2008, 20:29

I think the case would have been stronger if the kid hadn't jumped the light. Sadly I suspect a lot of over-eager drivers would have pulled out on him regardless of whether they were playing with their phones.

For me the basic problem is that nobody takes phone use seriously until something like this happens. If everyone knew someone who'd been fined and given points for using their phones, maybe they'd stop doing it.

But they won't because there aren't enough police out on the roads - they've given up and left the speed cameras to do their jobs. Until someone creates a camera that can find people using their phones, we'll not get the public to take this seriously.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Feb 2008, 20:38

It is interesting that the police now check the phone history to see if it has been used though.

Although I agree that this really isn't a good example. The cyclist ran a light.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySat 02 Feb 2008, 22:44

Plus apparently she was doing 40 in a 30 zone as well.

Must admit I had an accident months back, car went into the back of me and he claimed that a car going into the back of him caused it, certainly the female driver in the rear car was very shook up, so much so that she was unabl to drive her car off the road so I hopped in to move it and found her mobile in the footwell on the drivers side, I did wonder at the time if she had been on the phone and the reason why she did not see either of us stationary, anyway like a muppet I said nothing as at the scene she admitted responsibility.

Sure enough by the time insurance forms were completed she denied everything and it was too late for me to voice my concerns, never again will I be that considerate or naive.

After eight months and faced with court action she has finally admitted liability.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 02:17

Personally I'd ban phones in cars unless they are stationary with the engine turned off.

But then I'd also ban smoking, kids (esp. ones that aren't belted in), couples having rows, people putting on their lippy or having a shave, amorous couples and quite a large proportion of humanity.

That should cut congestion!
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 14:54

koshkha wrote:
Personally I'd ban phones in cars unless they are stationary with the engine turned off.

But then I'd also ban smoking, kids (esp. ones that aren't belted in), couples having rows, people putting on their lippy or having a shave, amorous couples and quite a large proportion of humanity.

That should cut congestion!

And people towing caravans, seriously people who think a holiday is about *Bad Word* in a bucket in the middle of a field should not be allowed on the roads, oh and truck drivers in day light hours, groups of cyclists who ride along next to each other talking, people with plastic flowers on their dashboards, people with those crap looking blue lights and finally people who drive twenty miles an hour below the speed limit.

Oh and middle lane hoggers on the motorway who I should be legally allowed to ram off the road.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 15:00

We're all finished then..
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 15:27

koshkha wrote:

While I agree, I keep seeing these stupid, stupid, people who just will stop anywhere, turn off the engine and answer the call.

Only a few day's ago I was driving in a national around a corner and there dead on the corner pulled over is a stupid woman in her Audi TT putting on lipstick and chatting on the phone Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 16:21

Only a few day's ago I was driving in a national around a corner and there dead on the corner pulled over is a stupid woman in her Audi TT putting on lipstick and chatting on the phone Evil or Very Mad

sorry... Laughing

I never answer my phone in the car, usually because it is in my handbag on the seat, and I don't have a proper handsfree kit professionally fitted any more since I got a new car. I had a built in car phone in my Alfa, but it was too much of a faff putting in the sim card all the time, and remembering to take it out when I arrived at destination so I never bothered unless it was a long (i.e. out of the normal journey)

I think it would be hard to ban proper professionally fitted handsfree in cars, especially as operating that is no different than turning up the radio (unless we ban radios).. Plus much work is done on the road by people using the phone when they travel, so providing a proper risk assessment is done, I dont see the issue. However flimsy blue tooth headsets might not be up to the job here. When I travelled on business a lot, (i.e. commuting between hotels every day nearly) and people rang me I always asked them to email me and I would action request etc - they sometimes found that odd as they had just asked for something off me, which I had agreed to do verbally and now I was asking them to email me - but the alternative would have been to jot things down - something that people in offices often forget when calling mobile workers - who may have taken ten calls in their journey and cannot possibly remember all that
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 17:14

I took the decision not to have a car kit in my car - I don't want to speak to people when I'm driving. You cannot concentrate to the right level if you are talking on the phone. Any calls I used to get when I had a kit tended to end with me saying 'do me a favour and email me what we just agreed' because I knew I wouldn't remember half of it.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 EmptySun 03 Feb 2008, 22:08

I took the decision also..no one is paying for me to have one any more! I never had the choice before unfortunately, if you are on the road for a living colleagues do expect to be able to reach you - in fact most have no idea where you are at any given point. Now, for me personally, there isn't a phone call that cannot wait and I dont travel as far anyway (apart from the 100 mile round trip commute each day, but I don't need to and never take calls during that).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New penalties on using phones whilst driving   New penalties on using phones whilst driving - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New penalties on using phones whilst driving
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2