www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How safe do you feel in the UK?

Go down 
+7
koshkha
WormThatTurned
atticusuk
Ziggy!
spoilt_little_brat
Mauri
Sam_Garland
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 18:51

It would still be the person who is behinds fault if they went into the back of them though!!
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 21:23

Yeah, which I very nearly did at the first one Smile
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 22:32

WormThatTurned wrote:
Yeah, which I very nearly did at the first one Smile

I thought you said you were a safe driver... affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 23:56

I didnt hit em Smile
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 00:14

Phil, your comment was deleted for yet another statistic pulled from nowhere.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 00:17

WormThatTurned wrote:
I didnt hit em Smile
Ah thats ok then... Laughing

I drive the A52 from where I join it near Bingham to Grantham in the mornings...it is like the whacky races! It is mainly single lane until you get to the A1 North junction, which I hop on for a few miles and go the back way to belton...but the amount of days I have to go finding a back route to Grantham as there has been a serious smash is unreal...It takes me 35-40 minutes typically...dont know why people take such crazy overtaking risks to knock five minutes or so off the time - as I have never known so many fatalities on my daily commute in my career...unfortunately.

even worse is the lorries/coaches etc who turn off the main road to avoid the delays...then promptly jam all the country lanes as they cannot pass each other..it has taken me 2 hours some mornings! Madness.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 00:27

Polish males are responsible for 14% of all rural fatalities-booze and one too many in the car the reason.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 00:34

Phil...you are a pure troll...

I'd do the mod thing and say "reference"...but I know there ain't one.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 00:40

Ziggy! wrote:
Polish males are responsible for 14% of all rural fatalities-booze and one too many in the car the reason.

Phil, even if that's true, what difference does it make that they're Polish? I bet the other 86% are British. Sorry, but what an irritating thing to say. It's like saying 10% of all murderers in Britain aren't white, so they're even more responsible.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 00:43

That comment should be ignored. There will be no more like it.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 10:45

drewboy wrote:
It would still be the person who is behinds fault if they went into the back of them though!!

Actually, that's apparently not true these days. I'm told they look at who hit whom but also who could have prevented it happening. If the opinion is that the driver in front could have avoided causing the accident then he/she can get the blame.

Example (based on something I've seen happen) - if a driver panics when spotting a police car coming towards him and so stops very sharply at an orange light, not checking first how much space there was between him and the car behind, and the car goes straight in the back of him, the front driver can get the blame because he could have avoided the accident quite legally by carrying on through the orange light.

So yes, the driver behind might have been a tad close, but the behaviour of the first driver, by acting without checking his mirrors, signally intent and so on, could have prevented the accident.

I was told this by the ROSPA driving instructor but in reality, I suspect that you'll probably still get screwed if you hit someone unless you've got really good witnesses and a confession.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 11:51

Yeah, I can see the logic behind that but for me, I will still try to remind myself that if I go into the back of someone, it's me that takes the insurance hit.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 12:22

Sam_Garland wrote:
Ziggy! wrote:

Phil, even if that's true, what difference does it make that they're Polish? I bet the other 86% are British. Sorry, but what an irritating thing to say. It's like saying 10% of all murderers in Britain aren't white, so they're even more responsible.

In no way is this an attempt to defend the randon statistics from Phil but IF it was true then statistically it would be significant if as a percentage of the total population a particular ethnic or demographic population was significantly less or greater than the figure shown as then you might have a statistically significant trend.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 14:28

Well, what I was trying to point out was that you could take any statistic for any minority group - how many of them smoke, take drugs, involved in crimes, etc - and it probably wouldn't be sinificantly higher than any other. The comment above doesn't further the debate we're having at all, but seems designed only to make the Polish people look a little worse.
I could just as easily pull a random figure out of the air and say 11% of all driving accidents are caused by disabled people. Or the culprits of 15% of all crimes in Britain are black people - but by ignoring the rest of the 100%, it would just seem like I was making up percentages for the purpose of discrimination.
What Phil said is discriminatory as I really doubt he can back it up and he went so far as to suggest that 'Polish males' are responsible because of alcohol and over-carrying in the car.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 14:31

I've just seen where you got your statistic from Phil - but you changed 'Europeans' for 'Polish' to suit your needs.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 14:35

Please disregard any statistics posted by 'Ziggy!'. He is no longer a member and the forum in no way associates itself with any claims he has made.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 15:14

drewboy wrote:
Please disregard any statistics posted by 'Ziggy!'. He is no longer a member and the forum in no way associates itself with any claims he has made.

I hope he can cope with the thought of being banned, that sort of thing takes a bit of getting used to. affraid The rejection, the isloation, the time it takes to think up a new name. Question
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 15:51

drewboy wrote:

WHY? He was just 'telling it how it is, dude'!
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 16:43

Shall we get back on topic then.....
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 17:06

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
Shall we get back on topic then.....

Good idea now are we discussing Helen absolutely riveting account of driving in Lincolnshire or Kosh and Drew's views on being rear ended. Personally I think another thread is called for. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 17:38

How safe are we in the UK from the dangers of being drawn into innane off topic debates in online forums?
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 17:39

Mauri wrote:
drewboy wrote:

We should all join his (Phil's) message board and talk sense. Fair's fair!
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 17:42

Mauri wrote:
How safe are we in the UK from the dangers of being drawn into innane off topic debates in online forums?

Not very. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 17:59

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
Mauri wrote:
drewboy wrote:

We should all join his (Phil's) message board and talk sense. Fair's fair!

How long would it take for us to get banned... Wink
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Aug 2007, 18:42

Banned? I'm Irish... I'm probably not allowed on the site to begin with! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How safe do you feel in the UK?   How safe do you feel in the UK? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How safe do you feel in the UK?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next