www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Depressed Carers

Go down 
+5
dididave
helencbradshaw
koshkha
drewboy
spoilt_little_brat
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyMon 29 Oct 2007, 20:58

I have been discussing this on another forum and have many people disagree with me, so thought I would post a question to you on here to see what you all think and see if I really am being unreasonable!

If you were picking childcare, care for the elderly, care for special needs etc, would it put you off if they were diagnosed with depression or were on tablets for depression?

confused
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyMon 29 Oct 2007, 22:10

It should only depend on their ability to do the job, and if their health and/or medication affects that.

I personally liken it to having a broken leg. If that would hinder someone doing their job, then they shouldn't do it.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyMon 29 Oct 2007, 22:15

I suspect there are legal implications of discrimination against someone with a mental health issue. But if they have it under control I can't see why it would be a problem.
If I had to look after a kid or an elderly person I think I'd be depressed.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyMon 29 Oct 2007, 22:36

Yep, ability to do the job is the key factor.

If we didnt employ people with depression or on tablets that's a lot of potentially unemployable people..!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 12:04

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
I have been discussing this on another forum and have many people disagree with me, so thought I would post a question to you on here to see what you all think and see if I really am being unreasonable!

If you were picking childcare, care for the elderly, care for special needs etc, would it put you off if they were diagnosed with depression or were on tablets for depression?

confused

I worked in care homes for fifteen years and a large percentage of the staff were suffering with depression and were taking tablets for it. It was quite amusing really as carers gave out Citalopram to elderly residents after taking their own! You pay people minimum wages and give them the crappy jobs and of course they will be depressed.

All you get from people who talk to you about what you do is, "Yeah, but it must be rewarding". *Bad word*!!! The reward is outweighed by the faeces, urine and kicking you are likely to get.

Anyhow, I digress Laughing . No it would not put me off. As above it is about ability to perform their job. I would expect someone to act professionally and as long as their symptoms are managed it would not be an issue.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 15:50

I am sure there are a lot of people who are depressed and on medication for it and we dont even know about it.

However if you were really in the grips of depression you should be looking after yourself, not having to look after someone else.

In my case of wanting a nanny/ childminder for a short while, I will want to see their health record and if there are any illnesses like depression there is no way I would hire them.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 15:55

I am sure there are a lot of people who are depressed and on medication for it and we dont even know about it.

However if you were really in the grips of depression you should be looking after yourself, not having to look after someone else.

In my case of wanting a nanny/ childminder for a short while, I will want to see their health record and if there are any illnesses like depression there is no way I would hire them.

It is a question of whether it is a condition that is serious and under control. Plenty of people suffering from depression cope very well, work and have full lives.

It does come down to the ability to do the job...
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 16:47

If my employer turned around with no valid reason (ie I couldn't do my job properly) and insisted I show them my medical records, I would take them to a tribunal. If it was someone I was applying for a job with, I would tell them to stick it. Medical records are private for a reason - people not qualified to make judgements on them doing just that.

Do you have any personal experience of depression? Not all 'strains' of it are the same and should not all be lumped together.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 17:05

But in childcare for example, if you are providing one on one care, ie- nanny/childminder, you have to provide a doctors note with any medical history on it, so it is there to be looked at and while some may over look it, I would want to see it.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 17:35

I don't think it is like that up here. We have 'Disclosure Scotland' certificates that are required for certain things, and I know that dealing with children is one of the times a person would have to have applied for (and been granted) that status.

I think that is how it should be. An organisation that is qualified to make the call on whether someone is fit and able to do that. NOT a parent who may not be as objective as they should.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 19:11

Well as a parent, if i knew a childminder/ nanny was on medication for depression I wouldnt hire them. Dont care if thats objective or prejudiced to be honest.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 19:25

Certainly would not hire them to look after my kids.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 19:27

So, what if your chosen nanny who wasn't on medication then started to need it? Would you fire him/her?

This 'as a parent' excuse comes up far to often in British society. It is not a get out clause from discrimination or naivity.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 19:56

To have concerns over a childminder with mental issues is only natural, come on. Blood is thicker than water.
Back to top Go down
kelsha

kelsha

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-18

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyTue 30 Oct 2007, 20:45

It does come down to the ability to do the job... but a job as this takes in pressure and patience. One with depression or were on tablets for depression would put me off. I would be in concern if they can last for a long term without giving out on me.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 01:10

WormThatTurned wrote:
To have concerns over a childminder with mental issues is only natural, come on. Blood is thicker than water.

I think this is grossly over simplifying things, just because someone is on anti depressants doesnt mean they cannot do a job, I can think of tougher situations where people cope - people I know in fact. A care role can be a positive thing - I thought the statistics of people suffering depression and who have taken anti depressants is pretty high..that is ruling out a huge sector of the workforce!

Plus of course any employer making such an arbitrary decision without determining suitability for the work in question is potentially in breach of legislation and deserves to be taken to IT imho.

Why would you even ASK? And are you qualified to judge if someone on depressants is capable of fulfiling a job role. Most of us aren't, and the judgement is being made very subjectively in that case.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 11:27

I dont care to be honest. My knowledge of depression is limited to 4 people but the thing that they all had in common was their moodswings. I dont want people with mental issues round my kid if I can help it.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 13:52

WormThatTurned wrote:
I dont care to be honest. My knowledge of depression is limited to 4 people but the thing that they all had in common was their moodswings. I dont want people with mental issues round my kid if I can help it.

I actually not blame you on this one. I have a decent knowledge of depression having worked with it for many years. I know the different types, symptoms and treatments and I know perfectly well that the majority of people are as functional as anyone when treated for depression.

However, I would still be more cautious of someone applying to look after my children which is illogical in many ways but is only natural as protective feelings kick in.

In your case, presuming you do not have an extensive knowledge or experience of depression, I would almost certainly be exactly the same. Your experience appears to be of Manic depression, which is certainly a form full of mood swings and if not in control, someone with manic depression would certainly be unable to look after vullnerable people effectively.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 16:19

You know, I don't for a second want it to seem that I am saying I don't think you should be cautious. I absolutely understand that.

However, as Dave has said above, the majority of cases would have no effect on their ability to do the job.

What I would maybe prefer, is that yes - be cautious. However, since your experience of mental illness is not great, you look into the different facets of it and find out what should and should not be avoided.

I suppose my fear is also that doctors are so damn quick to prescribe anti-d's that someone who would actually be perfect for the job, and could do it really well, was penalised because of this.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 17:37

[quote="drewboy"
I suppose my fear is also that doctors are so damn quick to prescribe anti-d's that someone who would actually be perfect for the job, and could do it really well, was penalised because of this.[/quote]

So true Drew mate, our local GP prescribes Temazepam, Diazepam and Citalopram on a whim and then withdraws it just as quick leading to all sorts of havoc. A GP I used to deal with prescribed Morphine in high doses over the phone for residents. I could have been selling them to anyone for all he knew!

I remember the days when you used to have to be referred to psychiatry to get such drugs. It was long-winded but at least they were correctly prescribed.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 17:54

drewboy wrote:

What I would maybe prefer, is that yes - be cautious. However, since your experience of mental illness is not great, you look into the different facets of it and find out what should and should not be avoided.

I dont doubt that for a minute many depressives/ ex depressives could do a wonderful job. However id rather choose someone who isnt on anti-d's than one who is, simple as That is, I know probably unfair on a lot of people, but I see it as my right to pick and choose who looks after child.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 21:52

So what if you pick someone and THEN they get prescribed anti depressants...say a year down the line? It would seem ridiculous to say they cannot look after your child when in actual fact there may be no PERFORMANCE case to answer.

If your knowledge of depression is limited to four people then obviously that is clouding your judgement...but I sincerely hope that anyone who is ever discriminated against in this way takes their potential employer to court for discrimination...depression is no different than any other illness, and what matters is the ability to do the job i.e. attendance and performance that are the criteria. Anything else is in the dark ages imho.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyWed 31 Oct 2007, 23:47

Like I said I really dont care about the discrimination issue when hiring.

If someone I had hired suddenly became depressed I would be forced into dealing with the problem head on which I dont have to when hiring.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyThu 01 Nov 2007, 00:07

would you hire a tablet or insulin dependent diabetic?
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers EmptyThu 01 Nov 2007, 01:58

I dont know the first thing about diabetes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Depressed Carers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Depressed Carers   Depressed Carers Empty

Back to top Go down

Depressed Carers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: