www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

We are all born equal right?

Go down 
+6
butters
Ciao's Favourite Member
plipplop
WendyBull
Mauri
dididave
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

We are all born equal right? Empty
PostSubject: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 14:33

This is a popular theory yet in my mind it is the biggest load of crap ever. Does anyone actually believe this?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 15:28

dididave wrote:
This is a popular theory yet in my mind it is the biggest load of crap ever. Does anyone actually believe this?

What do you mean by it...?
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 16:00

I can't see why it wouldn't be true. Everyone is born the same (except for medical issues I guess) and it is their upbringing that bends and shapes them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 17:02

Mauri wrote:
dididave wrote:

Well...popular theory is that we are all born equal and it is our upbringing etc that shapes us from there. I disagree with this and would say that we are unequal way before that. How we are treated during pregnancy for example can affect us before we are born. Genetically we are all different and from the point of conception we are fundamentally unequal in a variety of ways. Society has an impact on use way before birth and the concept of us all being the same at the start is flawed IMO.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 17:06

But surely the only influence on us when we are in the womb is medical and if we are talking about being socially equal at birth then that would be true I think. Medically we are very very different!
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 17:20

WendyBull wrote:
But surely the only influence on us when we are in the womb is medical and if we are talking about being socially equal at birth then that would be true I think. Medically we are very very different!

Well obviously in practical terms we are not equal...someone born in a shanty town in say South Africa is not 'equal' to another born in an affluent western country.

As far as nurture and nature comes in to it lets say in terms of intelligence my old biology Prof at Uni used to reckon about 20% genes and 80% environment but that was a guess... it's really difficult to know.

I think the more important question is are we born or should we be born with equal rights to achieve what potential we innately have, and the answer to that is YES we should but for many that is not the case.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 17:39

but no matter where we are born surely we are all equal in the split second we come into the world. it is then the environment that we are brought up in that changes us to what we become in most cases.

and yes i agree we should all be given the potential and oppertunity to achieve something different but that is up to environment etc as well.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 17:48

WendyBull wrote:
but no matter where we are born surely we are all equal in the split second we come into the world. it is then the environment that we are brought up in that changes us to what we become in most cases.

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'equal'.

Physically to a great extent we are not, intellectually yes to a great extent I think we are but not completely, socially we are not...

I think we should all be considered equal and have equal rights in law etc. but that is different to what Dave is saying...I think...
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 17:56

true, I am thinking we are equal in terms of what we know, and what we are able to achieve at the moment of birth. Once we are in the world it is dependent upon circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 18:45

WendyBull wrote:
true, I am thinking we are equal in terms of what we know, and what we are able to achieve at the moment of birth. Once we are in the world it is dependent upon circumstances.

To an extent yes but some people are born with more potential for achieving at some kinds of activities than others are and no amount of environmental conditioning will overcome that. Although in most cases I think environmental factors will be the defining influence.

For instance say you could set up the perfect experiment...take two babies from birth bring them up in exactly the same way teach them to play the piano for instance in exactly the same way using the same methods I bet that when they are adults one of them will be a better piano player than the other (even if it is only slightly) this would be the effect of the genetic difference between them. Now of course in reality you could never subject both children to exactly the same environment so you could never really prove it one way or the other...
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 20:10

yeah, that makes sense putting it that way.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 20:57

dididave wrote:

No. I am clearly quite superior and was born that way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 23:12

You too, Phil?

Are you in the same "better than other people" club that I am? Wink
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 06 Nov 2007, 23:47

WendyBull wrote:
I can't see why it wouldn't be true. Everyone is born the same (except for medical issues I guess) and it is their upbringing that bends and shapes them.

But their upbringing would stem from the parents and their love etc.
Someone who is born into a wealthy family will no doubt be able to get better medical care, education and a better quality of life, than someone who is born into a poor family.

If a rich family gave birth to a child, that child could have a better quality of life right from the start, than say if that same family was poor because many things only money can buy.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 00:37

butters wrote:

But their upbringing would stem from the parents and their love etc.
Someone who is born into a wealthy family will no doubt be able to get better medical care, education and a better quality of life, than someone who is born into a poor family.

If a rich family gave birth to a child, that child could have a better quality of life right from the start, than say if that same family was poor because many things only money can buy.

You know, I don't agree. My family was without a doubt middle class from the offset however I have always had an NHS doctor and dentist, and went through state funded education.

There has been nothing wrong with my standard of living at any point in my life and it is not been because my parents had money. Similarly, one of my mates who came from a single parent family who relied on benefits etc, went to the same doctor/dentist, and had the exact same education.

With all the moaning about the basics we have in Britain, we DO all have access to what we need (well, in my experience anyway).
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 01:08

I am not moaning and am pretty much in the same position as you were really.

But then there are people who can not afford even the basics. Not many in Britain, no, but they do exist. The vast, vast majority has what they need, but a small minority does not.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 11:58

butters wrote:
I am not moaning and am pretty much in the same position as you were really.

But then there are people who can not afford even the basics. Not many in Britain, no, but they do exist. The vast, vast majority has what they need, but a small minority does not.

Actually looking at the wider world I think the vast majority probably don't have what they need, we I think are quite priviliged...
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 14:19

I would think the vast majority definitely do not have what they need...

That said, and despite therequirement for basic human needs, food, water, shelter etc, measuring "wealth" by GDP as we traditionally do in the West is probably quite flawed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 14:22

helencbradshaw wrote:
I would think the vast majority definitely do not have what they need...

That said, and despite therequirement for basic human needs, food, water, shelter etc, measuring "wealth" by GDP as we traditionally do in the West is probably quite flawed.

Hugely flawed I would say. Having a level of wealth or financial security does not guarantee anything. It is how the wealth is implemented that matters.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 14:40

dididave wrote:
Mauri wrote:
dididave wrote:

Well...popular theory is that we are all born equal and it is our upbringing etc that shapes us from there. I disagree with this and would say that we are unequal way before that. How we are treated during pregnancy for example can affect us before we are born. Genetically we are all different and from the point of conception we are fundamentally unequal in a variety of ways. Society has an impact on use way before birth and the concept of us all being the same at the start is flawed IMO.

So assuming we accept this idea of not being 'equal', do you think it is harmful to society to have the idea of equality in policy making or do you think policies should somehow reflect the inequality that exists...

I'm really asking if there was anything behind your original question which would lead on from what you said.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 15:08

Mauri wrote:
dididave wrote:
Mauri wrote:
dididave wrote:

So assuming we accept this idea of not being 'equal', do you think it is harmful to society to have the idea of equality in policy making or do you think policies should somehow reflect the inequality that exists...

I'm really asking if there was anything behind your original question which would lead on from what you said.

I think TBH that equality in policy is the ideal we should be aiming for. We know we do not start off or end up equal, but there is nowt wrong with having an ideal in which we strive to be given equal opportunities. I think policies should have a degree of realism in what they can achieve, and I am not a believer in equality by inequality such as in the case of positive discrimination in the police force for example.

I think it is one of the endearing and reassuring features of an otherwise, largely destructive humanity that so many of us strive to give everyone an equal chance in life.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyWed 07 Nov 2007, 15:37

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
You too, Phil?

Are you in the same "better than other people" club that I am? Wink

Sounds similar to my own club "the considerably better than your club" club. Although I'm thinking of joining the "probably the best club of people ever" mainly due to the drinking opportunities.
Back to top Go down
bandcamp

bandcamp

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? EmptyTue 13 Nov 2007, 16:13

Nah, you want drinking opportunities then you've gotta join the 'bow down before me, minions' club.

Not quite on par with the 'I am a tormented genius' club, but they have more drugs than booze, and as a result are a lot more irritating. Best steer clear of them, until we are plentiful in numbers in which to take over and we can flush their stashes. Or sell them back to them for more booze mwahahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We are all born equal right?   We are all born equal right? Empty

Back to top Go down

We are all born equal right?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: