www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Religious symbols in our schools

Go down 
+2
bandcamp
WormThatTurned
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Religious symbols in our schools Empty
PostSubject: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools EmptyFri 09 Nov 2007, 19:31

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7081573.stm

This story was in the Telegrapth the other day and was on the Wright Stuff. Personally I feel no religious symbols should be allowed so as cases of hypocrisy dont surface which only serves in stoking up differences.

And although I sympathise with Sarika, her parents put her in that school and they knew its code of conduct, its not a new rule but one that has existed for many years.
Back to top Go down
bandcamp

bandcamp

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools EmptyTue 13 Nov 2007, 16:07

I'm curious if this will mean more and more religious schools cropping up, even though we should be encouraging awareness and acceptance of other religions.

Most schools teach R.E. and about the various symbols for each religion, and beliefs... having these kinds of restrictions in place while trying to teach understanding seems a bit daft to me.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools EmptyTue 13 Nov 2007, 20:39

I disagree. I went to a Catholic school and was taught more about other religions, and about being respectful and inclusive with regards to them, than most of my friends in non denominational schools.

My school also got better exam results than the whole region.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools EmptyTue 13 Nov 2007, 22:39

drewboy wrote:
I disagree. I went to a Catholic school and was taught more about other religions, and about being respectful and inclusive with regards to them, than most of my friends in non denominational schools.

My school also got better exam results than the whole region.

I do not think it is necessarily about denominations of faith in schools but rather how the school approaches RE. Drew's catholic school obviously had a more liberal and understanding approach to RE than my kids catholic school which only skirts around other religions and concentrates almost holy (see what I did there tongue ) on catholicism. Anything my kids have learnt about other religions has been off me.

Not a result of the schools catholic standpoint per se, but rather their implementation of it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools EmptyWed 14 Nov 2007, 02:46

I went to catholic school a couple of years ago. (ok so I left 23 years ago)

anyway...we did do loads on other religions, in fact my school routinely took the O Level 2 years early at 14 (that's an old qualification - the O Level) and then spent 2 years do RE at A Level syllabus, most of which centred around debate (or perhaps we were just unruly and argumentative, who knows..)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools EmptyWed 14 Nov 2007, 12:24

I was taught nothing of other religions at my school. It was Christianity or nothing, baby!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious symbols in our schools   Religious symbols in our schools Empty

Back to top Go down

Religious symbols in our schools
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: