www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cigarretes under the counter?

Go down 
+2
spoilt_little_brat
Sam_Garland
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

Cigarretes under the counter? Empty
PostSubject: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyWed 26 Mar 2008, 23:23

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/25/nfags125.xml

What do we think - gimmick, or a real way of reducing the increasing level of under-age smokers?
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyThu 27 Mar 2008, 13:00

Haven't read the link, but watched it on the news last night.

I really don't see how this will stop people from smoking TBH. It might help with the impulse buyers who see all the packets behind the till and think 'I want a pack'.

Underage smokers (now under 18 I believe) will find a way to buy cigarretes if they want. There are far too many businesses out there that are more then willing to sell to under age children just for the quick sell.

And what about alcohol? That's a drug, it's just as addictive as smoking, do we keep all bottles/ cans etc under the counter, or follow the US and stop selling it in supermarkets?
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyThu 27 Mar 2008, 16:20

I would disagree that alcohol is just as addictive, more socially acceptable, yes.

I do think that it would help. I have to say that it does remind me to buy cigs if I need (want) them, and does reinforce the sale of them.

I think it would help.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyThu 27 Mar 2008, 23:16

I think it is a bit of a pointless effort really.

Social pressure etc might cause kids to start smoking, from there it is an addiction that is diffuclt to get up

I didnt know US supermarkets didnt stock alcohol. Not been in one for a couple of years mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyFri 28 Mar 2008, 00:04

Im not sure it would do any good. Are we suggesting under age smokers wouldnt know of the existence of cigarettes if they were under the counter ? They're not stupid.

The problem with underage smokers is cutting off their supply. Shops selling them to kids should lose their licence. Im not sure how you prevent adults buying them for children though ???
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyFri 28 Mar 2008, 00:05

Nope, and kids will always find a way, if they want to, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyFri 28 Mar 2008, 01:28

Why a parent would buy their child a pack of fags I will never know. You might as well just buy them a coffin while you are at it.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyFri 28 Mar 2008, 01:37

true but a lot do, just as a lot buy drink for their kids especially once they are into their mid teens

then there are the adults that kids approach outside shops and get them to purchase, now that really is dumb.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyFri 28 Mar 2008, 12:21

See with alcohol and teens I think I would let them have a small glass of wine with us as they eat their meal. I would much rather encourage drinking with a meal in social situations in home under the watch of parents then them go out with a cheap bottle of cider and get drunk in some park.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? EmptyFri 28 Mar 2008, 23:46

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
See with alcohol and teens I think I would let them have a small glass of wine with us as they eat their meal. I would much rather encourage drinking with a meal in social situations in home under the watch of parents then them go out with a cheap bottle of cider and get drunk in some park.

We have a similar attitude, if you make drinking in the house less taboo and similarly maybe buy a teenager an occasional pint in a restaurant it is not as exciting then to buy an inferior bottle of White Lightning and share two litres of spit with your friends!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cigarretes under the counter?   Cigarretes under the counter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cigarretes under the counter?
Page 1 of 1