www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New SAHM benefit

Go down 
+5
koshkha
fizzywizzy
drewboy
dididave
spoilt_little_brat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyMon 21 Apr 2008, 13:38

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=560876&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

The plan is that mothers who want/need to stay at home to look after their children will be paid something like £55 per week until their child is 3 or goes to nursery.

With all the benefits parents already get do you agree with yet another benefit for parents?

Every parent, no matter how much they earn, can claim child benefit that will soon be £20 a week. Also if you (as a single parent or as a couple) earn less then what I believe is £58K per year, then you can claim tax credits (ours is something like another £18 per week).

I know someone on another thread mentioned that they think a parent should not work until their child goes to school, something I disagree with, but should parents really be paid for caring for their own child?

I think if you decide to stay at home to look after your child then you should do so because you can aford to and not expect yet another hand out for doing your job as a parent.

Your opinions?
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyMon 21 Apr 2008, 14:37

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=560876&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

The plan is that mothers who want/need to stay at home to look after their children will be paid something like £55 per week until their child is 3 or goes to nursery.

With all the benefits parents already get do you agree with yet another benefit for parents?

Every parent, no matter how much they earn, can claim child benefit that will soon be £20 a week. Also if you (as a single parent or as a couple) earn less then what I believe is £58K per year, then you can claim tax credits (ours is something like another £18 per week).

I know someone on another thread mentioned that they think a parent should not work until their child goes to school, something I disagree with, but should parents really be paid for caring for their own child?

I think if you decide to stay at home to look after your child then you should do so because you can aford to and not expect yet another hand out for doing your job as a parent.

Your opinions?

I think that was me SLB but I did say "one parent" meaning the other works. I do not agree in another benefit unless this is offset by a reduction elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyMon 21 Apr 2008, 15:14

Absolutely not.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyMon 21 Apr 2008, 20:48

No more benefits! £58000 is a massive sum really - people bringing in well below that don't need additional handouts.

Although the birthrate may be falling and we have the impending pensions crisis we aren't in the position of other countries that need to pay parents to have children.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyWed 23 Apr 2008, 11:00

Kids - if you can't afford them, don't have them.

If you don't want them - don't have them.

But it's time people accepted that in order to have a nice family they have to make sacrifices - instead of just expecting everyone else to pay for their kids.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyWed 23 Apr 2008, 11:32

Keep your legs crossed is my advice if they moan about the fnances.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyWed 23 Apr 2008, 13:56

koshkha wrote:
Kids - if you can't afford them, don't have them.

If you don't want them - don't have them.

But it's time people accepted that in order to have a nice family they have to make sacrifices - instead of just expecting everyone else to pay for their kids.

I agree.

Benefits are great, but in our case we don't need them. While I would be doing myself out of near enough £40 a week, I really think they should be means tested or not at all (although I will take all I can back after this 10p tax Mad )

The number of mums I have met since becoming one myself who want to stay at home to 'look after the kids' but want to get paid for it really bugs me' as does the mums I have spoken to who already have children and are seriously broke to the point they have to live with family and are are trying for another kid. Madness. Shocked
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptySat 26 Apr 2008, 01:18

ridiculous proposal - I dispair
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
CareBear

CareBear

Number of posts : 135

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyFri 16 May 2008, 12:52

No, we shouldn't be paid... BUT... if it means that more parents do actually care for their children rather than pushing them from pillar to post then I might see an advantage in it.

I KNOW that this is a gross generalisation, but in a toddler group you can tell those children who are looked after by parents and those who are with child minders/ nannies etc... when this shows so clearly i the under 2s I wonder what else will develop.

Means test it, don't make it an easy get out for the lazy, but I can kind of see a reason for it.

(Don't agree with it though!)
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyFri 16 May 2008, 15:43

See, in the baby groups I go to, the children that are left in a nursery seem to be the most confident.

When DS gets to 2 years old I will put him in a nursery for one afternoon a week. I think they benefit a lot from being in that environment, but until then he can stick with going to the mother-in-law a couple hours a day!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyFri 16 May 2008, 19:07

I wish I had sent my daughter somewhere to be looked after by others when she was that age as when it came time for pre-school it took us six months to get her settled.

My son went to day nursery from six months old as I went back to work and he is now very sociable and confident to talk others.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
CareBear

CareBear

Number of posts : 135

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit EmptyFri 16 May 2008, 20:24

I don't think it's a confidence thing that I'm noticing. And yes, I will be sending my little one to pre-school come September as he needs it and I think it is important to develop a sense of independence. I don't think that's a contradiction - I really do see a difference in children who are not settled. Maybe it is a "multiple carer" thing, maybe just a lack of ability for the child minders to discipline...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New SAHM benefit Empty
PostSubject: Re: New SAHM benefit   New SAHM benefit Empty

Back to top Go down

New SAHM benefit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk :: MEMBERS FUN AREA :: CURRENT AFFAIRS-
Jump to: