www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Action required before it is too late

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

Action required before it is too late Empty
PostSubject: Action required before it is too late   Action required before it is too late EmptyFri 21 Jul 2006, 09:56

Let me share some news with you which has made me feel quite nauseous and upset.

Some of you may know that I foster an Elephant (or rather Sherry does as I did it as a christmas present for her) in Kenya and every month we are informed of his progress and health. However, today I received some devestating news and I would like to shre it with you.

Please, please, please take 10 minutes out to write to your MP via the instructions given and help these and other animals survive without the fear of being butchered for trophies and keepsakes.

Dear Mr Angus Reid

We are contacting you today in the hope that you will join us in voicing your opposition to efforts to begin selling stockpiles of elephant ivory on the worldwide market.

A decision is imminent to allow a one-off sale of 60 tonnes of elephant ivory from Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. This ivory has been hacked out of the mouths of approximately 3,500 slaughtered elephants.

The legal sale of this ivory would serve to stimulate demand for more ivory and would result in an increase in elephant poaching. With poachers using the legal sale of ivory as a cover to trade in illegally poached ivory. This action cannot be allowed, especially when poaching is already killing more than 10,000 elephants every year!

We appreciate your time is valuable, however we ask that you take a few minutes to write to our local MP voicing your concerns and opposition to the sale of stockpiles of ivory and any future calls to reopen the trade in ivory. We also ask that you forward this email to friends, family and colleagues so that they might have the opportunity to add their voice, so that together we can attempt to halt this action before it is too late.

Elephants are already a vulnerable species and any legal trade in ivory will be a step closer to the eventual extinction of these magnificent creatures.

Please help us to put a stop to any decision on this and future sales of ivory.

Thank you in advance for your support of this critically important issue.

Most sincerely,

Dame Daphne Sheldrick DBE

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org

Identifying and Contacting your Local MP

Please visit http://writetothem.com

You will be asked to enter your postcode and then be shown the MP for your constituency. When you click on the name of your MP you will be taken to a page where you are able to send your MP an email.

Please use this feature to contact your MP today and please consider the following points when writing your letter.

Inform your MP that a decision is imminent to allow the sale of 60 tonnes of elephant ivory from Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. An amount of ivory that would have come from 3,500 dead elephants
If the sale occurs, the consequences will be devastating, as any legal sale will act as a cover for the illegal trade in ivory - an incentive for poachers to kill elephants for their tusks and other body parts.
Inform your MP that ivory poachers already kill more than 10,000 elephants every year to supply the illegal ivory trade, moving this species closer to extension every year.
Urge your MP to write to the UK Minister for Biodiversity, Mr. Barry Gardiner MP, to oppose the ivory stockpile sales and any future calls to reopen the trade in ivory.

This email has been sent by The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (DSWT), registered UK charity 1103836. If you would prefer not to receive campaign emails from the DSWT in the future, please reply to infouk@sheldrickwildlifetrust.org including REMOVE in the email subject line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Action required before it is too late   Action required before it is too late EmptySat 29 Jul 2006, 10:23

Had a reply from my Conservative MP Brian Binley who although in favour of measures to stop the hunting of elephants he does not think that preventing such sales will affect the lives of elephants.

He has forwarded my letter on to the Minister for Animal Welfare though.

Needless to say my opinion of Mr Binley has not improved.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Action required before it is too late   Action required before it is too late EmptySat 29 Jul 2006, 11:27

I recieved a letter from the House of Commons sayign they will pursue it further.

Quite chuffed really.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Action required before it is too late   Action required before it is too late EmptySat 29 Jul 2006, 20:04

Well done you two. I am really pleased to see that something has been done .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Action required before it is too late   Action required before it is too late Empty

Back to top Go down

Action required before it is too late
Page 1 of 1