www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Meeting People On The Internet

Go down 
+13
Angus
berlioz
crispy
ukusa
WendyBull
Emma1973
Sam_Garland
lisa2062
helencbradshaw
fabulous_girl
butters
Thingywhatsit
spoilt_little_brat
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Meeting People On The Internet Empty
PostSubject: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 14:46

This subject seems to be poping up again and again in the news at the moment.

What are you opinions on the subject of meeting people? Have you ever met anyone off the internet?

I personally have met two people off the internet and have never had any bad experience, both have been lovely.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 16:10

Yes, when I first had the internet I joined loads of penpal sites. Back then my life was pretty sad and I suppose I was looking for something to fill my life's emptiness. I had a penpal in Toulouse who has since become my best friend ever. I visit him every year, and am going there again in a couple of weeks. We don't fancy each other. We just have writing in common. I helped him to get published for the first time, and he's a lovely guy. First thing he noticed about me was wrinkles. First thing I noticed about him was yellowing teeth, but flaws and all, we like each other a lot. I also got a job in Paris through another guy I met online who was into writing as well. Had never met him and had written to him for about a year, when his au pair left suddenly and he was in trouble. Went to live in his family for three months, and loved every minute of it. Yet another I met was an American that wanted to see Paris and was somewhat besotted with me. I was staying with friends in Paris and he just booked and said he was coming there. I showed him Paris but also made in clear that there was no "us". He has since married a girl he met online.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 16:18

I havent but i speak to people. Theyre friends of friends though so i know i am safe.

My sisters friend talked to someone on the internet and met up with him with my sister (for safety). He fancied my sister and they've been going out 2 years now. SO there are two good stories (including Rachels) but you'll always get the bad wont you.
Back to top Go down
fabulous_girl

fabulous_girl

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 16:25

I have met up with a couple of ciaoers, a mini meet in London. We were meant to go for a quick drink, I was so nervous, but we ended up driking a lot and dancing til about 2am in a dodgy club!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fabulous_girl85
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 17:26

I have met quite a lot of people from Ciao/dooyoo, but that is all.

I met a lot of people at the Glasgow meet two years ago, and since then have met people either individually, or perhaps in twos/threes for lunch/dinner/drinks etc. All good fun, I enjoy meeting people from the sites and would meet other people I had originally met on the internet providing there has been time for the initial trust to build up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 17:48

There's nothing wrong with meeting people that you know online, but take precautions. Like the police always say, meet in a public place, tell a few people where your going, and what time you'll be back. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 18:17

When I met the people I met, it was always in public places like railway stations and when my hubby expressed concern, my answer was that I am a grown up and if I decide they are dodgy characters, I have my portable with me, and can telephone, and come home if necessary. I would advise younger people to be chapparoned by an adult or at least someone who is sensible, and to let people know where they are going, and to have their mobile with them so they can be contacted. Never give away your home address to strangers and always make sure that you are safe. The trouble is that whilst people may have described themselves as they see themselves, it may not be the way that other people see them. Many times, I have found that people that meet people off the internet are shocked by the reality.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 18:19

Or just dont meet people on the internet. I know you can get lucky but if they're dodgy it could spoil your whole life. I only speak to people i know or people who know people i know because of this. I wouldnt mind going to a ciao/dooyoo meet though-it'd be fun
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 19:14

Some users on ciao have approached me and said that we should meet up - I stay away from it though personally. I prefer online friends to be online really - would like to attend a ciao meet one of these days though. Next years probably!
Back to top Go down
Emma1973

Emma1973

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 19:21

I met this guy on the internet once, really rash decision! Tall, unbelievably skinny, and balding, Needless to say 5 1/2 years laters I'm still stuck with him!
Back to top Go down
Emma1973

Emma1973

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 19:22

I met this guy on the internet once, really rash decision! Tall, unbelievably skinny, and balding, Needless to say 5 1/2 years laters I'm still stuck with him!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 19:22

I met mine on the telephone !!! Before the days of internet. Likewise, he is stuck with me.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 20:57

Yeah I met my boyfriend on the net too. I have only seen two people off Ciao though, and one was only because she lives in the next town to me and I go into where she works.

I am looking forward to the meet though to put a few more names to faces. It should be very interesting.

Although my boyfriend (who is also on Ciao) hates 90% of the people on my buddies lidt who is going to the meet so I think fireworks will fly!! Wink
Back to top Go down
fabulous_girl

fabulous_girl

Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 21:42

whos your boyfriend?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fabulous_girl85
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 21:48

ooh, yeah, you have to spill the beans now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyFri 01 Sep 2006, 23:47

HaHa no I don't want to get kicked off for naming names! And that hate mail I would get would be too much for me to deal with Wink lol! Any guesses welcome!! hehe
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptySat 02 Sep 2006, 00:27

Not on here they are not !! We do not talk about people ! Hope you are very happy though.
Back to top Go down
ukusa

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptySat 02 Sep 2006, 07:45

I have never met anyone from Ciao or Dooyoo.

However, I did meet my husband on the internet 7 1/2 years ago! I even wrote about it in a review on Ciao a while back and had to update it recently when our little one was born.

However, just like I wrote in the review, one must be very careful about meeting people from the internet.

Just look at me!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
crispy

crispy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 12:10

Not met any Dooyooers, but I have met up with a few fellow Lotus enthusiasts from the owners club forum I belong to - all been decent folks!
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 12:14

I haven't met anyone since everybody lives abroad for some unfathomable reason.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 12:24

I have met a lot of people from the internet and never had any problems. I arranged to meet a the once most read member of Ciao at a service station on my way back from a trip and she was really nice in person, but that was a bit of a mistake in the end as she proved to be a bit mad. I met a group of Ciaoers at the London meet and ended up ahving a couple of them round my house with their partners and also had the invite returned.

Common sense is the key though, if people are looking for the other and not just friendship I would insist on photos before and a confirmed place of work so if something went wrong, you would have aenoguh info to give to the police.

I would ask for a place of work rather than an address because anyone can rent a bedsit and give you that address but a quick call to the place they work confirms they work there, nothing sinister.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 12:29

Best to be careful, methinks. It's all too easy to assume that the person you're speaking too really is who they say they are. I mean - how easy would it be to lie about your age, where you live, what you do?
Good idea, Angus. Sensible way of checking they are who the say they are.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 13:23

The first person I met on the net, I talked to for about a year on the phone to before we met, so I was pretty sure I knew who they were but even so we met in a public place and didn't go anywhere in secret.

Are you coming to this years London meet Angus?

Last edited by on Wed 06 Sep 2006, 12:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 13:42

I have no time off between now and eternity as we are expanding the shop yet again and I may be giving up my job to help run the shop.

I may offer them the opportunity to let me have a two month break and come back in the new year but am not sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet EmptyMon 04 Sep 2006, 14:14

AWW thats a shame, it would be lovely to meet you. One of the people I have met of Ciao has said that they met you and you were lovely Smile

Just looking at the list of people going though and there is a very mixed bunch! Should be very interesting!

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meeting People On The Internet   Meeting People On The Internet Empty

Back to top Go down

Meeting People On The Internet
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next