www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?

Go down 
+4
spoilt_little_brat
Mum52
Lunah_c
Thingywhatsit
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? Empty
PostSubject: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyTue 07 Mar 2006, 23:35

Continuing from the other site, let's take a look at the subject of freedom of speech and whether it really exists. From my viewpoint, I think that freedom of speech is a myth, because no one really is free to say anything that they feel like saying because there is always going to be a question of correctness or at least in my case there is. What do other members feel ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyFri 10 Mar 2006, 22:50

Have to agree, which contradicts my answer really as I was going to say that since most people do not have the exact same views, then whenever we express our thoughts, someone will always argue about it!
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyFri 10 Mar 2006, 23:01

Lunah_c wrote:
... I was going to say that since most people do not have the exact same views, then whenever we express our thoughts, someone will always argue about it!
I think it's quite difficult 'these days' because there always seems to be some pressure group or other that's determined to see offence where none is intended and some people can be very precious about their rights and opinions, rubbishing those of other people instead of listening to another's viewpoint.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 00:10

I agree......oh no, not again!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 01:07

Last edited by on Thu 23 Mar 2006, 20:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 01:39

I don't think 'not using individual names' is about offence, I think most forums have that sort of rule or guideline and it's about gossiping about people who may not be there to answer for themselves.

soundsexciting wrote:
... say what you like but don't deliberately cause offense to a third party.
OK, so if I said, "I don't like blue clothes and find it hard to understand people who do." ... Does that open the door for people who really like blue to have a go at me for my opinion? Does that offend, intentionally, or am I just saying what I think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 02:35

Last edited by on Thu 23 Mar 2006, 20:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 13:29

I stick by what I said before, freedom of speech, political correctness blah blah blah, has all gone WAY to far!

Although I was really peed off last week because fair enough, if a white person says something about a black person then the black person would quite rightly get wound up, and there seems to be quite a lot in the press about people being racist against blacks but not against whites-

However, last week I was watching TV and a black person starting shouting at a family member being racist towards whites calling them terrible things and although it was only acting, I dont think it should have been alowed on TV, but yet I didnt see 1 paper that picked up on this- if it was aginst another colour or religion it would of been a headline- it doesnt make sence!

So freedom of speech and restrictions are not really followed by everyone and it cant be one rule for some and another rule for others.
Back to top Go down
Mum52

Mum52

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 21:47

soundsexciting wrote:
I'm kinda hoping that you're just being the devils advocate. Smile
Sometimes! Wink
Quote :
Its pretty clear in my head whats right and whats wrong.
Its just difficult to explain it.
Yep, and it's also difficult to be sure nobody is going to be offended when trying to explain things as 'we' see them.

As a family we were subject to blatant discrimination, one set of neighbours would not speak to us and even told us to "Go back to where you come from." It didn't make living there very easy, and our children were also pointed out, left at the bottom of waiting lists for playgroups and other activities. We sought advice and were told that, because we are white and English we could not be discriminated against, and the laws are only there to protect those who are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants and whose skin is not white.

But this thread isn't about discrimination, it's about whether people are free to speak without having to look over your shoulder all the time. There are extremes, and some things shouldn't be voiced, and some people tread a very fine line.

Surely it's gone too far when people get hauled into the Police station to be "educated", and also, as another example ... my husband was sent a joke email with pictures showing parts of New York in blackout ... he was told to delete them 'in case' he got into trouble. He didn't send them, he only received them! I find that sort of thing rather frightening.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 23:59

The concept of Freedom of Speech is one that people claim to want to defend however in reality it is retricted by law in every country.

I was amazed how quickly Blair and Bush jumped to attack the Danish papers and other for publishing those cartoons, in effect they were making a judgement over those papers ability to speak freely. Similarly you have the recent case in Austria which has a law banning people from denying the holocaust which is a law that restricts free speech.

Given that the holocaust is a proven fact it would make more sense to hold up to ridicule those stupid enough to deny it's existence rather than create the opportunity to martyr them in the courts.
Back to top Go down
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 23:05

Ye....

--edited by admin--
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyThu 13 Apr 2006, 01:35

Razz
Back to top Go down
Nar

Nar

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-19

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyThu 13 Apr 2006, 03:33

Animals get freedom of speech but as humans we cant understand them because we are seen as the top of the tree.

But in reality, humans dont get much freedom of speech.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 21:41

If we had free speech the world would be very different..
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 23:12

It would be madness.

I do agree to some degree but depends how you go about it.

Can you imagine if everyone was chaining themselves to railings or climbing buildings to get a point across.
Back to top Go down
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? EmptyTue 18 Apr 2006, 00:58

If we had free speach we wouldnt have this board.Think about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?   DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? Empty

Back to top Go down

DO WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH ?
Page 1 of 1