www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD

Go down 
+2
helencbradshaw
Thingywhatsit
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD Empty
PostSubject: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyMon 09 Oct 2006, 18:01

The papers reported today that Madonna wishes to adopt an African orphan, although apparently, a young girl has had her hopes raised that she will be chosen, even though Madonna stated a boy. Isn't this terribly mean to make the poor young kid think that she is to be adopted when she is not ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 10 Oct 2006, 01:34

Not seen this story, but I don't think it would happen in the UK the process would and should protect the child...
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 10 Oct 2006, 02:04

I am all for adopting kids, but for some reason I always end up thinking 'publicity stunt' when I hear yet another Celeb is adopting.
Back to top Go down
crispy

crispy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-06-15

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 10 Oct 2006, 11:16

Graham Norton made me laugh talking about this last night - said something along the lines of adopted African children being the latest celeb fashion accessory. "Well, black is very slimming, and goes with everything..." Laughing
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 10 Oct 2006, 12:32

LOL, now I remember why I love Graham Norton so much Wink
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyThu 12 Oct 2006, 20:06

Angelina Jolie has about 3 I think, I bet there are others. Maybe their fat pay cheques make them feel guilty and have to give something back Smile
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 17 Oct 2006, 22:19

I think it's great that she is adopting him to be honest. Loads of people adopt foreign babies every year, just don;t get in the papers about it becasue they are not famous.

It's a bit annoying that she got to fast-track it due to money and her celebrity status but it will benefit the child in the end becasue he will have a wonderful life compared to what he could have experienced in Africa.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 17 Oct 2006, 22:49

WendyBull wrote:
I think it's great that she is adopting him to be honest. Loads of people adopt foreign babies every year, just don;t get in the papers about it becasue they are not famous.

It is actually getting a lot harder now. Obviously local authorites are more likely to want to find homes for the kids they have in care here compared to doing all the same legwork (which admittedly they get paid for), for parents to choose a child from overseas.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 17 Oct 2006, 22:59

I have mixed feelings about it. What qualifies Madonna to adopt ? The other worry that I have is that the child loses his national identity, and at one point in the uk, kids of a certain culture were only to be adopted by people that could give the child the culture background that they needed.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyTue 17 Oct 2006, 23:47

She should have undergone a full assessment by her local authority BEFORE she is allowed to meet a child.

Perhaps she has, but I thought I saw on the news that this was GOING to happen. so perhaps this news story has been blown up somewhat, which would not be the first time.

the process of approving adults for adoption, and matching children with adults is actually two quite separate processes with two separate social workers.

Even with people who can afford to adopt privately as it were, it is still very hard to adopt from overseas. (In fact it is bloody hard to adopt here)

As regards to "culture", I dont think there are any absolute rules here Rachel. the only rule is that the authorities do what is in the best interests for the child. Sometimes that means placing a child with parents of the same race and indeed religious wishes are also very important, as indeed are more general beliefs and activities. So if a white British couple and a black African couple resident in the UK were otherwise equal in their suitability the more favourable home for a black child would be the black couple. EQually if a child is older, and has a practising faith, say catholicism, and then finds s/he is up for adoption, that will be an important factor in placing that child.

sometimes though, it might be beneficial to change that factor, if it is in the best needs of the child. This child is in a home and effectively has no parents and lives in a poor country so it is easy to see the link as to why a white UK family would be better on a financial level sure, but also on the fact that he might not get adopted in his own country, and therefore might be destined for a life in care. There are practically no babies or under fives available for adoption in the UK or in the USA and so many prospective parents do target children from abroad, hence the stampede in Eastern Europe, Russia and China over the last few years

It's also worth noting that the approach to adoption has changed somewhat over the last 20-30 years and whereas once it was something that might not be discussed (leaving many adults in a state of confusion once they reach adulthood and discover the truth). Now the focus is on discussing this with the child from the beginning, and letterbox contact with parents or grandparents is also encouraged where it is appropriate to do so.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyWed 18 Oct 2006, 00:52

You are probably aware that I have my own ace to grind over the subject of adoption and I suppose that plays a part in my feelings. You see the ridiculous rebellious side of a rich person like Madonna and wonder if she can give stability to a child and I perhaps should not be judgmental but when people that could be good parents are refused on stupid grounds, and I do realise this has changed now, it doesn't take away from the fact that it happened.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyWed 18 Oct 2006, 01:07

oh no, I *know* that people are refused on stupid grounds etc. Still, today. Blair said he would make it better, he has done bugger all in my opinion.

and in case anyone is wondering how I have said so much on the topic, it is because I am currently going through the approval process.

One of the most latest pieces of legislation about the process is that a COMPANY reference must also be sought before it goes to panel. (you have to give three separate reference including one family and one reference might be a couple e.g. friends etc)

Now what adult goes to their company beforehand and says I would like to be a parent, do you think I am suitable...! and that wasnt law until September 06. Our social worker stated she completely disagreed with it, my husband did not have a problem with it either, but of course, as a woman I do. Thankfully they time the request, you give permission, so it is not too early in the process, if you do not want it to be.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD EmptyWed 18 Oct 2006, 01:52

I wish you better luck than I had Helen, I really do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD   MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD Empty

Back to top Go down

MADONNA TO ADOPT AFRICAN CHILD
Page 1 of 1