www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MADONNA IN THE NEWS.

Go down 
+6
Helix
Sam_Garland
steerpyke
crispy
berlioz
Thingywhatsit
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

MADONNA IN THE NEWS. Empty
PostSubject: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 10:14

Religious leaders in Rome have united against the mock-crucifixion featured in US pop star Madonna's latest show.
In the sequence, Madonna appears on a giant cross wearing a crown of thorns.

Father Manfredo Leone of Rome's Santa Maria Liberatrice church told Reuters news agency it was "disrespectful, in bad taste and provocative".

What do you think ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 11:42

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Madonna appears on a giant cross wearing a crown of thorns.

Just goes to show that Madonna has really gone over the top in thinking she's some sort of god or saint or whatever lunacy she subscribes to. Not to mention her music by today mainly sucks in being neither original or very enjoyable (the best parts of her recent songs have been plagiarised from other people, leaving her with some intoleratable hip hop crap and banality galore). She's nothing but an egoistical marketing machine these days with little in the way of artistic values, so yes she is really the definition of bad taste and this crucifixion thing is a perfect example of her thinking she's the eqivalent of the second coming or something.

I hate Madonna!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 13:05

I never was keen on the idea of her using the name Madonna, which to me has religious significance. Now with the crucifix thing, I think its really bad taste.
Back to top Go down
crispy

crispy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-06-15

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 18:06

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I never was keen on the idea of her using the name Madonna, which to me has religious significance. Now with the crucifix thing, I think its really bad taste.

Madonna is her name.

If I remember rightly, her full name is Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone...
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 18:34

Its no different to people being christened Jesus which is a not uncommon name in South America. If you can't rebel against the establishment in pop/rock music then theres no hope left......
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 18:36

It reminds me of the burning crosses she used in her video for 'Like a prayer'. The Pope condemned her for that as well - it's easy to see that she's got some sort of contraversial anti-christianity thing going on. Isn't she a member of the new celebrity religion Kabblah, as well?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 19:11

Quote :
Madonna is her name.

If I remember rightly, her full name is Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone...

Just read that now. Shows how much I know.
Back to top Go down
Helix

Helix

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2006-06-22

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 19:45

steerpyke wrote:
Its no different to people being christened Jesus which is a not uncommon name in South America. If you can't rebel against the establishment in pop/rock music then theres no hope left......

i totally agree, and to be honest it doesn't offend me in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 19:58

It doesn't offend me either and I'm not religious but nevertheless - if christianity is something you believe in, something you've been brought up with, something that has a real basis in your life - then seeing a pop star emulating what is generally thought of as the ultimate sacrifice on a twenty-five foot glittering mirror crucifix could be though of as a little offensive. And completely unnecessary.
Why did she choose to do it? Contraversy. If she had stood on a twenty foot statue of Mohammed there would have been a massive outcry and a huge negative response. Because it is Christianity, it doesn't seem to matter.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 21:03

Sam_Garland wrote:
It reminds me of the burning crosses she used in her video for 'Like a prayer'. The Pope condemned her for that as well - it's easy to see that she's got some sort of contraversial anti-christianity thing going on. Isn't she a member of the new celebrity religion Kabblah, as well?

It was more that she portrayed Christ as being black in that video that caused the outcry.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 21:12

Yeah, that's true. Something the church has trouble believing, even though it corresponds to the area he was born in.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 04 Aug 2006, 23:17

Sam_Garland wrote:
Yeah, that's true. Something the church has trouble believing, even though it corresponds to the area he was born in.

To be fair, he would have been more likely Arab looking than anything else.
Back to top Go down
fabulous_girl

fabulous_girl

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2006-03-06

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 18:06

If god exists, then he is all seeing, all knowing, all powerful, so he should be genderless and raceless too. I think she was right to perhaps bring to light that Jesus, who is essentially God (the trinity) could in fact have appeared to her as black. everyone will believe what they want to believe about whether or not he exists, andwhether they see him as a bearded white man sitting a cloud, or whether they see him as black, female, etc etc. british christians will see god as white, blacks will see him as black, muslims will see him as middleeastern/east european/african WHATEVER! There is no fact, only belief/faith

but yes, even as a non religious type, she has gone too far with this one. but can you blame an artist with the success that she's had to get just a little bit egotistical?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fabulous_girl85
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 18:47

How can you be gender and raceless? That is like saying it has no taste or no colour, just not really true.

jesus was a man, thats for sure. A great travelling showman if you ask me, I think the bible missed out his caravan with the drop down Elixer of Life advert for his potions and lotions.

Madonna knows it will court controversy and make people cry outrage, that is what she is all about, shock and marketing. The black madonna with the big boobies was a Allo Allo thing wasn't it? No one bothered much then.

Christianity is a hypocritical religion that hates being challenged, much like all religions except buddhism, which doesnt care.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 19:03

Angus wrote:
Madonna knows it will court controversy and make people cry outrage, that is what she is all about, shock and marketing. The black madonna with the big boobies was a Allo Allo thing wasn't it? No one bothered much then.

Christianity is a hypocritical religion that hates being challenged, much like all religions except buddhism, which doesnt care.

I understand what you're saying Angus, but it's still wrong to mimic the death of christ for a few more bucks. Even if others don't care, it's offensive to some - she wouldn't dare to dress as Mohammed and prance around the stage, so why is it ok to wear a thorny crown and mimic what many people see as their saviour?
I'm not remotely religious, but I'd never mock a believers point of view. Standing on a fourty foot mirror cross for a publicity stunt does do that somewhat.
What I'm basically saying is this - ok, christianity is hypocritical. But why do people feel the need to insult those who follow it religiously?
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 19:19

And on the same level why do certain religions tend to insult gay people or people who do not follow the same beliefs they have?

neither are right Sam, only one does not hide behind a religious icon for justification.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 19:25

Angus wrote:

Was it not the Fallen Madonna with the big boobies?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 19:29

I thought it was the Mona Lisa with the big boobies in hello hello.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 19:29

Angus wrote:
And on the same level why do certain religions tend to insult gay people or people who do not follow the same beliefs they have?

neither are right Sam, only one does not hide behind a religious icon for justification.

Slightly ot, but thats have the problem with religious peeps (massive generalisation, I am aware of it). They see being gay as a choice, and in some way a belief - which is isnt.

However, as a non christian (since Kabalah is a jewish spin off) Madge doesnt believe in the crucifiction, so why use it OTHER than to get attention? In that vein, I think she has gone a wee bit too far. Especially after the whole Mohammod thing last year.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I thought it was the Mona Lisa with the big boobies in hello hello.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Allo_'Allo!

Gotta love wikipedia! they have everything!!!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 19:33

Ha !
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 21:55

I agree with you whole-heartedly on that subject Angus, but it's not really what I'm arguing about. I'm just saying that Madonna acted in spectacularly poor taste over what is generally seen as one of the most significant Christian events of all time.
Really though - I do agree that Christanity is fundamentally contradictory, but not that its followers 'hide behind a religious icon for justification'. And, although the religion itself disapproves of it, I've yet to meet a Christian who is against homosexuality. That's just an out-dated stereotype.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 22:57

Sam_Garland wrote:
And, although the religion itself disapproves of it, I've yet to meet a Christian who is against homosexuality. That's just an out-dated stereotype.

Well I most certainly have.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptyFri 11 Aug 2006, 23:13

Well, I've certainly met non-Christians who have been homophobic - being bigoted has little to do with religion, and a lot do with an individual.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. EmptySat 12 Aug 2006, 01:13

drewboy wrote:
Sam_Garland wrote:
And, although the religion itself disapproves of it, I've yet to meet a Christian who is against homosexuality. That's just an out-dated stereotype.

Well I most certainly have.

Yes, so have I. Quite a few, unfortunately.

OT I was looking for the War on Terror thread......I thought there would have been an active one by now.. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MADONNA IN THE NEWS.   MADONNA IN THE NEWS. Empty

Back to top Go down

MADONNA IN THE NEWS.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next