www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie reviews with ending given away

Go down 
+10
kellylouj
butters
Mauri
plipplop
marandina
steerpyke
berlioz
Thingywhatsit
lisa2062
Minnitee
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

Movie reviews with ending given away Empty
PostSubject: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 18:43

The other day I contacted dooyoo regarding a revenge rater. They removed the ratings but also told me in their email that they looked at my ratings and didn't like the fact that I had rated low on a movie review where the member had "given away the ending" and "contains personal opinion" (I think they misread and wanted to say contains NO personal opinion).

Quote :
but rating poorly because a review "gives away the ending" or "contains personal opinions" is generally frowned upon.

I would never rate low if someone expresses personal opinion - that's what the site is about - I would comment if there's lack of it and combined with giving the whole plot away I do rate low (in particular on a 300 word review)

On more than one occasion I read the comment "you shouldn't have given the ending away" or "never ever give the ending away" and "rated low because you gave the ending away". Apparently it's not the done thing in the dooyoo community.

So be warned, you're not allowed to rate low when some dingbat reveals that Bruce Willis' character in 6th Sense is actually dead regardless of whether or not you know the movie. (This wasn't the movie I rated low in case you want to go looking, I used it just to demonstrate)
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 18:47

Your last comment is NH, because you told me Bruce Willis' character is dead! lol. So dooyoo think it's obviously alright to spoil a film by giving away the ending, how can this possibly be helpful? If someones told me the ending of a film/book, then they've just spoilt a possible purchase for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 18:54

At least I never gave away the ending to the Penguin story so people can buy it for christmas without having it spoilt.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 18:56

Exactly, you should never give away the ending. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 18:57

That's just so silly. Saying that rating like this is "generally frowned upon" is utterly stupid. Frowned upon by whom? Dooyoo? I'd think most members would feel exactly the opposite way.
Back to top Go down
Minnitee

Minnitee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2006-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 19:01

I actually sent them a little email back quoting the "6th Sense" as an example and that I'm not the only person who doesn't like it. I wouldn't necessarily rate NU like some members but I would certainly rate lower and leave a comment.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 19:08

I think that's fair if you rate down, and leave a comment explaining why. I like to read a taster of the plot, and then the persons opinion of it over all. I don't want to feel as If I've watched the whole thing after reading a review.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 20:12

I watched the Passion of the Christ the other night...he dies at the end.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
marandina

marandina

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 20:33

We won't mention "Titanic" then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casheroonie.com
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 21:47

Yeah, in Lord of the Rings, the ring is destroyed in the end.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 21:54

Well that's those films spolit, lol! Lisa x
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyMon 06 Nov 2006, 23:52

I'll always rate down for giving away the plot. And will continue to be offensive at the same time. Ner.
Back to top Go down
marandina

marandina

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2006-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyTue 07 Nov 2006, 01:08

plipplop wrote:
I'll always rate down for giving away the plot. And will continue to be offensive at the same time. Ner.

Hence the avatar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.casheroonie.com
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyTue 07 Nov 2006, 18:38

Minnitee wrote:
The other day I contacted dooyoo regarding a revenge rater. They removed the ratings but also told me in their email that they looked at my ratings and didn't like the fact that I had rated low on a movie review where the member had "given away the ending" and "contains personal opinion" (I think they misread and wanted to say contains NO personal opinion).

Quote :
but rating poorly because a review "gives away the ending" or "contains personal opinions" is generally frowned upon.

I would never rate low if someone expresses personal opinion - that's what the site is about - I would comment if there's lack of it and combined with giving the whole plot away I do rate low (in particular on a 300 word review)

On more than one occasion I read the comment "you shouldn't have given the ending away" or "never ever give the ending away" and "rated low because you gave the ending away". Apparently it's not the done thing in the dooyoo community.

So be warned, you're not allowed to rate low when some dingbat reveals that Bruce Willis' character in 6th Sense is actually dead regardless of whether or not you know the movie. (This wasn't the movie I rated low in case you want to go looking, I used it just to demonstrate)

Dooyoo can frown all they like, you rate as you see fit. If giving the plot away makes the review less useful to you (as it does to me) then rate accordingly.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyTue 07 Nov 2006, 20:01

I'd never let anyone tell me how to rate, and as long as people give away book/film endings, I will always rate down. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyWed 08 Nov 2006, 01:37

Its good Lords of the Rings ending has been spoilt. Not worth watching anyway Smile

Reading basically any review magazine (i read many games ones) its pretty obvious not to give away an ending that people want to watch to find out.

Ages ago (when i was always active on dooyoo and barely a review escaped me. Before A levels then Smile) I read a review that gave away the ending of a film and yet it got constant VU's except for one or 2. The review itself wasnt the best in the world without the spoiler and i can imagine the only reason people rated high was because the writer warned it contasined spoilers.

Would you rate down still if there was a warning for spoilers?
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyWed 08 Nov 2006, 12:37

butters wrote:

Would you rate down still if there was a warning for spoilers?

It depends, I still might if the inclusion of the spoiler wasn't really adding anything to the overall review and it would depend how the 'spoiler' was presented in the review.

Bottom line is a review doesn't need to reveal the plot!
Back to top Go down
kellylouj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2006-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 11:03

I think that you should only rate down if you have seen the film and feel that you have given away the plot. I had one of my reviews rated down as they said I had given away the plot but if they had actually seen the film they would know I had not at all and left the twist in there so there was no way from the review they could tell what was going on.
Back to top Go down
badcompany77

badcompany77

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2006-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 11:50

I know I was going to rent out The Titanic but had my enjoyment spoilt because someone mentioned it sunk, I hate spoilers Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.problempages.net
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptyThu 23 Nov 2006, 10:41

What's the point in watching a film if you already know the ending because someone mentioned the ending in their review. Reviews which spoil film endings aren't reviews, they're storybooks ruining every possible reason to watch a film. I rest my case!
Back to top Go down
sandemp

sandemp

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 01:19

It's not just giving away endings that can spoil a film. I don't like being told very much of the plot for either a film or book review, otherwise I might as well just go to the last chapter of the book/film and see how it ends.

And yep, I rate down all the time, because I've been told too much of what happens. If there's more than a paragraph or two (max) about the plot then there's too much. Of course that is only MY opinion and that's what counts when I'm rating.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 15:11

Ditto for me, a couple of sentences on the plot is more than adequate, giving away significant parts of the film / book is just as bad as giving away the ending and for me it is usually symtamatic of a writer who has little to say about the subject and is just trying to pad out the review in an attempt to get a crown.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 15:17

At the end of the day I want to read their opinion of the film, and not come away feeling as if i've seen/read it. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 15:33

On a similar note I cant see the point of reviews of TV sitcoms that centre on just giving a run down of the plot of each episode. thats the last thing i want to read in a review. Just tell me roughly what the premise is and what mekes it funny/good/clever and i'll take it from there.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 15:40

It's kinda the same with game reviews. I only want to know what the basic premise of the game and not the ending, otherwise the story is ruined and there's not much point in playing unless the game looks or plays good enough to keep you playing through the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie reviews with ending given away   Movie reviews with ending given away Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie reviews with ending given away
Page 1 of 1