www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL

Go down 
+4
spoilt_little_brat
drewboy
helencbradshaw
WormThatTurned
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL Empty
PostSubject: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyMon 14 May 2007, 23:15

Road safety officers today said that they were worried that the smoking ban in July would increase the amount of people smoking at the wheel and that the government should ban it.

What absolute *Bad word*.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyMon 14 May 2007, 23:26

disgusting habit though..smoking in cars..!

It will be banned in works vehicles won't it?

I was once hit from behind at a traffic light in glasgow. The driver was reaching into his glove compartment for his cigarettes at the time and I was a sitting duck with nowhere to go.

No different than reaching for CDs, sandwiches, mobile phones etc, of course..!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyMon 14 May 2007, 23:31

Yes it will be banned in works vehicles.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 00:04

yeah, it is not allowed in any vehicle that is used at a work place up here.

I am actually in two minds about it. I, when I was smoking, did have a couple of panic moments where I dropped my cig while driving however I can honestly say that I pulled over immediately and THEN got it. However I get that a lot of people would tey and get it back while NOT stopping.

Also, while I was smoking, there was NO way that I would have been able to drive the length of myself let alone the country without lighting up. My road rage is bad enough thank you very much.

SOOOO, to conclude - I really don't know on this one!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 00:23

I think it is a horrible thing - smoking in cars, nothing worse than getting in a car after a smoker..

but, linked directly to this legislation, i think it is going too far.
that said, nothing has happened, just someone campaigning..
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 00:53

I used to smoke in my car and I never found it got in the way of my driving. I do however see some people driving funny when they are trying to light their fags.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 01:05

I thought it was against the law to eat in the car (I remember a man being fined for eating a kit-kat or something while driving) so it would make sense to ban smoking too. (I have temporarily fallen off the smoking wagon by the way so am guilty of smoking in my car too).
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 01:13

spoilt_little_brat wrote:
I used to smoke in my car and I never found it got in the way of my driving.
Wasn't you that hit me up the rear then... Mad

wendybull wrote:

I thought it was against the law to eat in the car (I remember a man being fined for eating a kit-kat or something while driving) so it would make sense to ban smoking too. (I have temporarily fallen off the smoking wagon by the way so am guilty of smoking in my car too).

Possibly fined for driving without due care and attention, rather than fined for driving while eating,. It was like that with mobile phone usage for a long time.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 12:30

It makes sense to prosecute if the person is driving without care and attention but where do you draw the line, listening to music can be distracting, talking to someone also, I find it mildly distracting trying to eat my cheeseburger and fries while balancing my drink on my knees especially when the kids are misbehaving in the back.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 14:13

I thought it was against the law to eat while driving too. I remember a woman being stopped in Northants for eating an apple or something and then a week or so later a police man was caught eating at the wheel too.

The thing with smoking while driving is that you dont have to look at what you are doing while smoking so your eyes never should come off the road anyway.

I also used to find it relaxing to smoke while driving on the motorway or busy roads.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 14:59

I think its quite common to smoke while you're driving....(she says having another Margo Leadbetter moment)
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyTue 15 May 2007, 16:33

Yes and you dont have to talk to your cigarette whilst smoking it when driving lol.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyWed 16 May 2007, 00:07

I thought it was against the law to eat while driving too. I remember a woman being stopped in Northants for eating an apple or something and then a week or so later a police man was caught eating at the wheel too.

They were prosecuted for driving without due care and attention (Careless Driving or CDxx offences)

Which is exactly why we dont need a law for smoking, as it is covered already
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyWed 16 May 2007, 10:44

fizzywizzy wrote:
I think its quite common to smoke while you're driving....(she says having another Margo Leadbetter moment)

I meant common as in chav-ish, uncouth, etc rather than that it happens alot BTW..
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyWed 16 May 2007, 20:10

fizzywizzy wrote:
I meant common as in chav-ish, uncouth, etc ..
Why ?

It isnt against the law !!
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyWed 16 May 2007, 21:01

helencbradshaw wrote:

They were prosecuted for driving without due care and attention (Careless Driving or CDxx offences)

Which is exactly why we dont need a law for smoking, as it is covered already

Thanks for clearing that up, wasn't sure at at all as I said where the law stands on things like eating etc.

In that case then you are right, there is already something in place so whats the point.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 00:14

WormThatTurned wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
Why ?

It's just one of those irrational dislikes I have...seeing someone eat something from Greggs in the street is another one....
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 01:12

I often have a spicy chicken slice from Greggs, ulp !!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 01:15

I prefer a steak bake......
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 01:17

Drewboy your such a chav !!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 10:09

WormThatTurned wrote:

I prefer the term scally. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 10:22

drewboy wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

I prefer the term scally. Twisted Evil

Doesn't scally imply some kind of criminality, whereas chav is generally someone of the social underclass
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 10:24

WormThatTurned wrote:
I often have a spicy chicken slice from Greggs, ulp !!

In Newcastle Greggs is the gastronmoic home of the chav.

It is so embarrasing that we even have one at the airport. Someone told me that, on a holiday flight, they saw someone who had loaded up on Greggs rubbish to take away with them.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 13:47

WormThatTurned wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
Why ?

Neither is having your hair bleached AND permed, wearing big hoop earings, getting pregnant at 15 (oops, no that one technically IS illegal but nobody seems to give a damn) or going round saying 'bovvered'. But I'm with Fizz that they are all pretty common and very common (i.e. both senses of the word).

And isn't a scally just a scouse chav?
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL EmptyThu 17 May 2007, 15:23

Now Im a chav I shall have to go the whole hog and get kitted out with a cap and hoodie Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL   BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL Empty

Back to top Go down

BANNING SMOKING AT THE WHEEL
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next