www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SMOKING IN PUBLIC

Go down 
+9
dabmim
drewboy
helencbradshaw
Nar
Lunah_c
spoilt_little_brat
Louise90
TheArchaic
Thingywhatsit
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 07 Mar 2006, 12:34

We were discussing what people thought of smoking in public, the subject being posed by an ex licencee. Members said that people get accustomed to change and mentioned how getting used to popping outside for a cigarette gets easier and that the public in general that do not smoke find the atmostphere in pubs more condusive to their requirements if smoking is not allowed.

From a humorous point of view, a member said that smokers would probably die of pneumonia smoking outside in cold areas, whilst the government still coin in their revenue on cigarettes. Other smokers said that having areas for non smokers and smokers was enough, and that toleration should be a more reasonable way forward. A non smoker said that it seemed ludicrous that people were taxed so highly on their smoking.

What came from another member was the legality of smoking. If indeed smoking is legal, then why penalise people that do it. There are other vices that are equally as antisocial that are not being dealt with, and the government are not addressing more important issues.

The argument went on to debate the difference between drinking and smoking, and the problems caused to society by drinkers. It was also discussed about the unhealthy eating habits of people that also cause illness and consequently cost the government money.

Discuss
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
TheArchaic

TheArchaic

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2006-03-06

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 07 Mar 2006, 21:35

I believe it was a good move for the Government to go ahead with the motion, as I often find if I have to go into a bar to find someone (Member of family etc) I find the stench of smoke overwhelming, and feel very uncomfortable around it. This motion pleases me as it allows me to breathe easy in a bar rather than having to hold my breath and dive in! sunny

What I feel is a more important issue on the other hand is the amount of youths smoking. If the number of schoolchildren smoking could be lowered they would be less likly to smoke in later life? confused A lot of teens have tried smoking and alot of them continue due to social pressue and become addicted. If measures were put in place to lower the amount of teens smoking , the plan for smoke-free enclosed areas will be igven a much greater chance for the future.

Thats just my two cents, any of you agree with me?
Back to top Go down
Louise90

Louise90

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2006-02-13

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 01:29

On another forum one member posted that they should ban selling the cigarettes altogether rather than banning people from smoking them in bars/restaurants etc! Good point, I guess!

As a smoker I don't know what to think. Yes, it's a good idea in one way that the Government have brought in this ban as it will stop non-smokers breathing in the smoke. A friend of mine said he'd stop going to bingo altogether when the ban comes into force! But I said why, as we can just pop outside for a cigarette!

As it is, I'll be seeing the stop smoking advisor in a couple of days tiime!
Back to top Go down
http://167421.aceboard.net
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 01:34

It seems shortsighted that the government actually make so much revenue from something that will ultimately cost the National Health system so much money.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 21:13

Admin wrote:
It seems shortsighted that the government actually make so much revenue from something that will ultimately cost the National Health system so much money.

that is exactly my point!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2006-02-27

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 21:32

I don't htink it is right the amount of tax added, but you can see why they do it because the government know that however much the y increase the price, people are addicted and will pay any price to get a fix.

If that tax went to the NHS it wouldn't be so bad but I bet it doesn't.

Also I think they should stop selling cigarettes, however, I think they should also help people give up for free, with all the help they could possibly need. If they do decide to stop selling them, (which they won't) then I hope they give advance warning because I think I will go to the moon for a while as there will be a few grumpy people about!
Back to top Go down
Nar

Nar

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-19

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySun 19 Mar 2006, 22:10

I think the government should change the law completely and put it up to the age of 18 where cigarettes can be bought as opposed to 16. If the legal age is 18 for alcohol consumption why can't it be the same for smoking tobacco?
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySun 19 Mar 2006, 22:59

Or even 21 for both.

I do think they should raise the age for buying cigarettes though as I hate it seeing all the older kids hanging around the school gates smoking.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySun 19 Mar 2006, 23:00

Just another thought...I also think that at 18 and more so at 21 they are less likely to go with peer pressure and maybe less would be inclined to take up smoking.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 23:08

Lunah_c wrote:
Just another thought...I also think that at 18 and more so at 21 they are less likely to go with peer pressure and maybe less would be inclined to take up smoking.

I am not sure it would; kids smoke, drink and have sex before the legal age limits anyway!

I support the ban though, in public places. I don't think their sale should be stopped altogether, as it would just become a black market then. I've never been addicted to cigarettes (I have smoked, before the age of 16 too! Embarassed ) and while free support to give up would be welcome, there are always the majority who want to continue to smoke.

I know it is technically OT, but the program about how the police have to mop up town centres after a night out drinking (last week, Tue perhaps..) was actually far more alarming than cigarettes even, with regards to the long term impact on the NHS and health of the nation
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyMon 20 Mar 2006, 23:13

Quote :
I know it is tehnically OT, but the program about how the police have to mop up town centres after a night out drinking (last week, Tue perhaps..) was actually far more alarming than cigarettes even, with regards to the long term impact on the NHS and health of the nation

I thoroughly agree with you Helen. What is wrong with society that people have to drink in such excess. Here in France, it is rare that people get that plastered. Alcohol is evil in excess.

Back on topic : enclosed spaces - that I understand, but take away a persons' right to smoke at all in a public place seems a little hypocritical of the government when they net the taxes charged on cigarettes. I also agree that a black market would be a bad way to go as people get exploited.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 10:43

I have never understood the idea of getting so blotto that you can't even remeber 'the great time'.

I have only drank so much that I was falling asleep once, but I was drowning my sorrows so felt excused!

But I felt so miserable the next day, luckily escaped the hangover, that I realised it had simply just been a waste of time and money.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 10:51

I drank a whole bottle of whiskey once and suffered so badly that I cannot drink any more ever ! One glass now and I am sozzled. The governement could say that people are not allowed to get drunk in public places. Now that would make sense. They get revenue from cigarettes and drink and people are affected by drunken behaviour and drunks driving are a bigger immediate threat to health than smoke.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 10:55

I thought it was illegal to be highly intoxicated? Or is that just when you are rowdy? ....Drunk and disorderly.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 10:59

No idea what the law is in the UK at all. That might be an interesting one.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyTue 21 Mar 2006, 16:11

I Don't get out much you see!!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 22:22

well, I'm off out tonight for the last ever time in which I will be able to smoke in a scottish pub/club.

Think it may just be busy tonight!!!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 22:46

drewboy wrote:
well, I'm off out tonight for the last ever time in which I will be able to smoke in a scottish pub/club.

Make sure it is extinguished by 05:59hrs...

and don't forget the clocks go forward Razz
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySat 25 Mar 2006, 22:50

helencbradshaw wrote:
drewboy wrote:

Make sure it is extinguished by 05:59hrs...

and don't forget the clocks go forward Razz

By that point I am likely to be at some house party somwhere in Glasgow to be honest, and up here when the clocks change, the give extra hours to the clubs so we can still drink to 4am! Normally three up here - I dont get why it is 2am down south!
Back to top Go down
dabmim

dabmim

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2006-03-31

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: All 4 it   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyFri 31 Mar 2006, 20:21

I for one will be happy to see the smoking ban come in, I am fed up with being next to smokers and coming home stinking of that stale horrid smell - when I don't chose to smoke myself. I'm actually surprised that no one has been sued for making someone elses clothes stink so badly.... Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
http://healthgossip.proboards82.com/index.cgi?
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyFri 31 Mar 2006, 20:48

Hehe....I wish. I am sure if I sprayed someone with an air freshner I would soon get sued.
Back to top Go down
dabmim

dabmim

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2006-03-31

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptyFri 31 Mar 2006, 20:52

I'm sure you probably would Lunar...lol

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://healthgossip.proboards82.com/index.cgi?
Cerberus

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2006-04-15

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 21:44

Ive noticed that people who dont like smoking tend to be not from the same social smoking classes...Its just another 'them and us' sonobbey.Well guess what guys,your going to have to find that extra five billion from your taxes.
Back to top Go down
Lunah_c

Lunah_c

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 23:09

I don't call looking after your health as snobbery....just being sensible.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC EmptySun 16 Apr 2006, 23:56

Cerberus wrote:
Ive noticed that people who dont like smoking tend to be not from the same social smoking classes...Its just another 'them and us' sonobbey.Well guess what guys,your going to have to find that extra five billion from your taxes.

what five billion....!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty
PostSubject: Re: SMOKING IN PUBLIC   SMOKING IN PUBLIC Empty

Back to top Go down

SMOKING IN PUBLIC
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next