www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Community service

Go down 
+5
spoilt_little_brat
Ziggy!
drewboy
Mauri
WormThatTurned
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 04 Jun 2007, 22:04

I heard on the radio today about a new idea regarding community service. Instead of the judge, law enforcement or the criminal deciding what the community service will be, the notion is that local people will decide what they will do. I think it's a good idea. Apparently theres's a website where local contributors can post jobs that need doing that will benefit the community. And the tasks are assigned to low level criminals. Can't think of a link and I can't remember the website but any thoughts ??
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 11:57

WormThatTurned wrote:
I heard on the radio today about a new idea regarding community service. Instead of the judge, law enforcement or the criminal deciding what the community service will be, the notion is that local people will decide what they will do. I think it's a good idea. Apparently theres's a website where local contributors can post jobs that need doing that will benefit the community. And the tasks are assigned to low level criminals. Can't think of a link and I can't remember the website but any thoughts ??

Sounds a good idea.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 14:37

Only if the community isn't deciding specific peoples fate, rather suggeting a 'pool' of tasks for convicted people to do.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 14:48

They should have to clean up after animals like that poor aupair on C4 last night. Now thats slave labour.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 16:37

lol, thats working in childcare for you!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 16:43

drewboy wrote:
Only if the community isn't deciding specific peoples fate, rather than suggeting a 'pool' of tasks for convicted people to do.

Agreed - shouldn't be a case of everyone knowing the details of a certain case, then suggesting a corresponding punishment. Should be that people put forward what needs doing, and then the court decides which one is most appropriate, according to hours of manual-service, etc.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 17:27

It was just that - 'a pool of tasks'. Nothing specific.

I think it's a great idea.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 05 Jun 2007, 18:40

Yeah, me too - sounds really good, if it works.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptySat 21 Jul 2007, 12:23

We hada gang of them working nearbye doing hard labour on abuilding site.But the thing was is they never had 'convicts' slapped on their saftey jacket and they werent being paid. What it looked lik to me was a cheap labor scam! Thwe humilation coming from not being paid.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptySat 21 Jul 2007, 21:05

it's not cheap labour - it's the idea of something positive coming from something negative. They're hardly gonna pay them for doing community service - it's not a job, after all.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptySat 21 Jul 2007, 22:22

Not sure if it is cheap labour or not as that would depend on the cost to the tax payer of administering the scheme offset against the value to the community of the work done, longer term if it stopped someone offending again then the benefit is a lot better which reduces the cost.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptySun 22 Jul 2007, 04:30

My point is they were learning nothing ,other than a contractor was getting cheap labor..
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptySun 22 Jul 2007, 09:51

The local residents would be directly benefitting and low level criminals would be benefitting too because they would be avoiding jail.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 00:12

Ziggy! wrote:
My point is they were learning nothing ,other than a contractor was getting cheap labor..

Learning a darn sight more than being banged up in a cell for 23 hours a day.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 00:23

Ziggy! wrote:

Are you saying that community service is no good then, Phil?

That hard graft on a building site will no more teach someone a lesson that picking up litter or whatever other punishments are given out as part of community service?
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 12:19

Get them filling sandbags!
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 13:57

Even better have them dress in huge spongebob squarepants outfits and act as a human barrier soaking up the floods.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 13:59

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 14:13

Ziggy! wrote:
Get them filling sandbags!

I'm not accepting that as an answer to my question, Phil.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 17:58

The Sponge Bob thing sounds rather deviant:<
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 17:59

Is Aaron the Big Brother Charley of this particular website.lol
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 18:51

Ziggy! wrote:

I don't think that's true anyway. On community orders, 20% of your hours can go towards training / qualifications. So you might spend 80% of the time painting a shed, but you can spend the other 20% learning to become a plumber or such like. They're quite flexible.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 24 Jul 2007, 00:30

With the news that a school kid that was climbing over the fence of his old school to rob it was awarded £5700 pounds compo when he implaed himself I suspect the community service orders are limited and somewhat safety concious, and so therefore limited..
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 24 Jul 2007, 01:25

Ciao's Favourite Member wrote:
Are you saying that community service is no good then, Phil?

That hard graft on a building site will no more teach someone a lesson that
picking up litter or whatever other punishments are given out as part of community service?

Answer the question, Phil.

Ziggy! wrote:
Is Aaron the Big Brother Charley of this particular website.lol

I dunno who this Charley bloke is, but are you the Jade Goody? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service EmptyTue 24 Jul 2007, 11:32

Ziggy! wrote:
With the news that a school kid that was climbing over the fence of his old school to rob it was awarded £5700 pounds compo when he implaed himself I suspect the community service orders are limited and somewhat safety concious, and so therefore limited..

What on EARTH has that got to do with anything???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Community service Empty
PostSubject: Re: Community service   Community service Empty

Back to top Go down

Community service
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next