www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Honour killing

Go down 
+2
Mauri
WormThatTurned
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 18:17

This is a shocking case. A father along with his brother conspired to kill his daughter because they didnt approve of her ending an arranged marriage and starting a relationship with a new man.

I dont understand how a father could ever murder his daughter no matter how bad the relationship between them had become. These honour killings sicken me - I wonder how many more have taken place. I hope they get life sentences.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 18:21

WormThatTurned wrote:
This is a shocking case. A father along with his brother conspired to kill his daughter because they didnt approve of her ending an arranged marriage and starting a relationship with a new man.

I dont understand how a father could ever murder his daughter no matter how bad the relationship between them had become. These honour killings sicken me - I wonder how many more have taken place. I hope they get life sentences.

Apparently 12 a year in the UK....(The Times)
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 20:30

Did you see the footage from Iran when the whole town kicked that girl to death for something miniscule. Muslim men leave litle to be desired sometimes.

The bloody police, who didnt listen to the girl in the Uk that was murdered,had the audacity to ask young girls to come forward if they felt threatend by honour issues!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 20:33

I have read this article in two different sources today.

bbcnews.co.uk - The girl was offered a safehouse but told police she would be fine cause her mother was there,

metro - totally missed that bit and stated police ignored her and called her a fantasist.

I really, really dispare of the UK press.

But yes, terrible nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 20:39

Its too sensitive an issue for the police to give it their full attention, fearing human rights and racism claims...Poor girl.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 13:13

drewboy wrote:
I have read this article in two different sources today.

bbcnews.co.uk - The girl was offered a safehouse but told police she would be fine cause her mother was there,

metro - totally missed that bit and stated police ignored her and called her a fantasist.

I really, really dispare of the UK press.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 13:18

Ziggy! wrote:
Did you see the footage from Iran when the whole town kicked that girl to death for something miniscule. Muslim men leave litle to be desired sometimes.

I don't think it has much to do with the religion, in the same way that the Klux Klux Clan called themselves 'Christians' and yet murdered and persecuted blacks. I think these cases have more to do with a very warped interpretation of Islamic religious teachings and more important barbaric traditions.

I think classing all or even most muslim men as women haters or extremists is racist.

It would be nice to hear from a muslim on this subject...
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 14:19

"I think classing all or even most muslim men as women haters or extremists is racist"

I said "some" Muslim men. Lets not play that game guys. Projecting your insinuation into my words is cheap. Ive been one of very few supporters of Muslims on dooyoo over this erroneous terror threat. Like you say, it would be nice to hear from a Muslim on this subject.

If you saw the footage from Iran you would be horrified. My point her was why didnt the police do anything,and then have the cheek to ask youngg irls to come forward when they felt threatened.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 15:14

Ziggy! wrote:
"I think classing all or even most muslim men as women haters or extremists is racist"

I said "some" Muslim men. Lets not play that game guys. Projecting your insinuation into my words is cheap. Ive been one of very few supporters of Muslims on dooyoo over this erroneous terror threat. Like you say, it would be nice to hear from a Muslim on this subject.

If you saw the footage from Iran you would be horrified. My point her was why didnt the police do anything,and then have the cheek to ask youngg irls to come forward when they felt threatened.

Look at your post it says 'Muslim men' not 'some muslim men'. Anyway it doesn't matter the sentiment was clear enough... why not say Iranian men? or men with black hair? I know many muslim men who would be horrified to be associated with such barbaric practices. I was a very cheap anti islamic swipe...Phil and you know it.

You're doing exactly what you supposedly accuse the Americans of doing ie pinning all muslims with the 'exetrimist/fanatic' label...
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 15:23

Ziggy! wrote:

I agree with Mauri.

This is warning 1 Phil, there will be no others.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 20:12

Muslim men leave litfle to be desired sometimes. Im emphasising the word 'sometimes'.

Thats what I wrote. There were at least 900 men in that mob,the ones nearest kicking her to death, all this filmed on a mobile phone...Muslim Women are poorly treated in third world places and that is now spreading with mass immigration.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 22:11

Ziggy! wrote:
Muslim men leave litfle to be desired sometimes. Im emphasising the word 'sometimes'.

You're still making a negative generalisation about Muslims which is racist...

Ziggy! wrote:

Thats what I wrote. There were at least 900 men in that mob,the ones nearest kicking her to death, all this filmed on a mobile phone...Muslim Women are poorly treated in third world places and that is now spreading with mass immigration.

Women are treated badly all over the wolrd not only in Islamic countries. The violence you are talking about is not a product of Islam but of a perversion of islam and its traditions in the same way that the suicide bombers use Islam to justify their murder of people. If Islam didn't exist these men would find other excuses to act in these ways in the end it's about the use or rather the abuse of power not about religious philosophy.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyWed 13 Jun 2007, 22:25

No,you interpreted it as racist to take the moral highground on something you dont want to comment on, so to exert power over the board. Mauri adding " Wife Beaters" to things is what we call a Freudian slip. I wasnt thinking that at all. Clearly there are 'issues' with Muslim males over control of women and,in my opinion, women are very much treated as second class citizens.That makes it sexism issue.

Get off the fence guys and discuss the issues. Dont bully people because you want to be the middle class thought police.
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyThu 14 Jun 2007, 03:23

Ziggy! wrote:
Mauri adding " Wife Beaters" to things is what we call a Freudian slip.

Where did she add that?
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyThu 14 Jun 2007, 11:58

Sam_Garland wrote:
Ziggy! wrote:

Where did she add that?

It's HE actually Shocked

Do certain traditions in Islamic countries discriminate against women?

YES, as they do maybe to a lesser extent these days in non-muslim countries.

Are all muslim men sexist and oppressive to women? NO

Are all Muslim men in favour of honour killings or violence against women ? NO

What Phil is doing is associating ordinary muslims with this form of abuse and violence which is what I object to and he is generalising about 'Muslim' men as if they were one entity which is simply a huge simplification and does nothing to understand why these crimes take place. What it does do is create misunderstanding of the culture and leads to a general villification of the religion. This is turn makes ordinary moderate law-abiding muslim men feel they are being attacked and labelled in the same way as the extremsits. The BNP and Neo-cons in Washington would be proud of you Phil!
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyThu 14 Jun 2007, 13:16

Mauri wrote:
Sam_Garland wrote:
Ziggy! wrote:

Where did she add that?

It's HE actually Shocked

Sorry Mauri - did actually mean to write 'he' geek
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyThu 14 Jun 2007, 16:34

Sam_Garland wrote:

It's HE actually Shocked

I thought you were a lady too Mauri Razz

These honour killings are despicable but thankfully very rare. Thats not to say we shouldn't take them very seriously. The only thing Phil said I agree with is muslim women in certain muslim countries are treated as second class citizens. The freedom and equality they enjoy here in Britain are hard to take for certain hard line muslims.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyThu 14 Jun 2007, 18:33

WormThatTurned wrote:

These honour killings are despicable but thankfully very rare. Thats not to say we shouldn't take them very seriously. The only thing Phil said I agree with is muslim women in certain muslim countries are treated as second class citizens. The freedom and equality they enjoy here in Britain are hard to take for certain hard line muslims.

I think that's self evident but I don't think we should assume these are the views of the vast majority of Islamic men, which is what I took Phil to imply...
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Honour killing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Honour killing   Honour killing EmptyFri 15 Jun 2007, 11:59

Well I didnt mean it that way.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08