www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!

Go down 
+13
drewboy
badcompany77
crispy
koshkha
helencbradshaw
fizzywizzy
WendyBull
SaschaT
WormThatTurned
liz1102
Thingywhatsit
spoilt_little_brat
brax
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
brax

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2006-12-11

Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 14:57

Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 15:01

ahh well, someone obviously doesn't like them
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 15:24

I saw that on the news and instead of calling them prostitutes they are using a weird expression of Sex workers.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 15:26

Perhaps 'Prostitute' isn't politically correct any more!
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 15:32

lol, oh god, not another PC!!!!
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 23:27

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I saw that on the news and instead of calling them prostitutes they are using a weird expression of Sex workers.

I actually just found an article about people complaining about the language being used in this news story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2006/12/emotive_words.html
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 19:04

Sex Workers - honestly what a load of old bollocks. They were prostitutes (person who offers sexual intercourse in return for payment) - its a word in the dictionary. Why are the PC brigade scared of offending everything and everyone ?
Back to top Go down
SaschaT

SaschaT

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2006-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 19:35

liz1102 wrote:
Thingywhatsit wrote:

I actually just found an article about people complaining about the language being used in this news story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2006/12/emotive_words.html

A good one! LOOOOOOL According to the editors one PC complainer said
Quote :
"just call them women"

WOMEN! What a bloody sexist word! Why does it matter that they were female, not male? Weren't they humans after all? Laughing

I love "political correct" way of naming things, because it gifted the world with wonderful things like the euphemism treadmill. Just lovely!
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 19:48

it's 5 now! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 19:58

Two others found then? Or three found, two missing?
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 20:14

5 found altogether apparently on the news.
Back to top Go down
brax

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2006-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 21:11

are they victims of an unknown religious man/woman who don't approve of sex worker trade lol.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 22:56

Is it just me who finds this heading offensive. I have only caught snippets of the news, but if five are dead that deserves some respect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 23:01

Edited Helen. If you see something you think merits moderation on the forum, please report it using the report button, and we shall take a look.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 02:40

Here's a theory for you - my husband who works for the prison service proposed this earlier today. SOmeone he works with reckons that there was similar trouble in Ipswich about 10 years ago (not much happens in Ipswich, believe me so people remember) and his colleague thinks that this could be the same person who might have been doing time for the last 10 years - possibly for something not related to the original crime.

The level of activity is very unusual - consider how long it took Peter Sutcliffe to notch up 5 killings. This guy is pretty smart - he's chosen an area with poor CCTV cover and is getting rid of the bodies (may these poor women rest in peace) in isolated areas with very little through traffic. He also seems to be targetting girls with drug habits that increase their vulnerability and (sadly) decrease public sympathy (that's harsh but I think it's true - imagine if these were 5 students, 5 young mothers, 5 church wardens - there would have been a lot more interest the moment the first ones went missing).
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 13:48

Oh no, theres PC on here now.

I dont get why people are offended by the word prostitute in this story. It is not derogatory, it is infact vital to the whole story. To not say prostitute is censure and we wouldnt be being told the whole story which is wrong.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 13:56

The point is not the word - but the fact that these poor dead women are being labelled as prostitutes as if that somehow makes their lives (and subsequent deaths) less important.

What people are objecting to is that these dead girls are women first and sex workers and crack addicts second or third. Fixating on them being prostitutes makes some members of the public think they somehow 'asked for it' or that their deaths are less important.

The same objection would apply if 5 tramps had been found dead or 5 Italians or 5 farmers - it doesn't matter. What is important to the people who are offended is that these were PEOPLE who deserve more respect than to have their deaths downgraded because of their professions.
Back to top Go down
crispy

crispy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 14:20

Rubbish, it is entirely relevant to the news article - or do you think that the killer is just attacking women and it's a total coincidence that the first five women he's picked on happen to be prostitutes???

I don't think there's any intention anywhere to use the word in a derogatory fashion or to in some way imply they are less important because they are prostitutes.

I would say it is important to know exactly what demographic is being targeted by a serial killer because then the relevant people are warned and it also avoids spreading unnecessary panic amongst those less likely to be attacked.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 14:30

Thanks for your 'rubbish' comment.

Read my post again please - I didn't say that it was irrelevant that these women were prostitutes.

The purpose of my post was to try to explain WHY some people find it upsetting that the press are fixating on them being crack-addled prostitutes and not respecting the fact that they are still dead women.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 14:39

See I dont think the press ARE fixating on them being prostitutes. I think they are reporting the story in full which is their job, to leave out the prostitute bit would be censure. These deaths are all linked by the 5 victims all being prostitutes which I think is pretty vital to the story so it has to be reported.

To be honest I havent heard of any negative comment or report regarding the prostitutes, if I had I would be against it. I agree with you their profession shouldn't downgrade their death but I havnt heard anything to suggest people are doing this.
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 14:54

WormThatTurned wrote:
Oh no, theres PC on here now.

I dont get why people are offended by the word prostitute in this story. It is not derogatory, it is infact vital to the whole story. To not say prostitute is censure and we wouldnt be being told the whole story which is wrong.

It wasn't PC correcting on here, it was more that the person who started the thread referred to them as a shortened version of "prostitute" and it did sound horrible.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 14:56

Ar thats why everyones been slagging them off then !!
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 15:14

Anyway I hope they catch this nutter quick. 5 bodies in 10 days is unheard of. I pity the poor loved ones left behind, what a time for this to happen.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 15:35

Can you imagine the headline being "two clerical assistants and three shop workers murdered"? I don't think they'd make that distinction then. It would simply be "five women".

Sadly, some people do get some some degree of comfort from the fact that it's "only prostitutes", makes them somehow feel like it's not their problem.

What it does highlight, though, is that there are a number of women working as prostitutes who need the money so badly that not even fears of being the next victim of a serial killer will deter them from going out to work.

That the women were working as prostitutes may, in the end, be discovered only to be secondary to this story. Someone out there has issues with women - but not necessarily prostitutes - it's just that prostitutes are the ones who are willing to go off with him.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 15:47

fizzywizzy wrote:
- it's just that prostitutes are the ones who are willing to go off with him.

How do you its a man ? You cant assume its a man yet, thats very judgmental and sexist !
Back to top Go down

Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next