www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Banks & Charges

Go down 
+10
The Polar One
Ciao's Favourite Member
spoilt_little_brat
plipplop
dididave
atticusuk
WormThatTurned
helencbradshaw
Ziggy!
drewboy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Banks & Charges - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 00:20

drewboy wrote:
You got that back Helen, so sorry, not a fair example!

I was speaking hypothetically...as in an Unfair contract terms point of view.

However, if the bank has to pay your salary for half an hour to reprimand me on my £15 oversight not covered with my offshore fund, then I can see how it gets so high.... Laughing geek Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 00:25

Hypothetically, you should have been more carefull Wink
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 00:44

Hypothetically..I have better things to do...than be careful!!! Not all the time anyway.

Hypothetically...I would like a bank that would realise I had £15.01p in my life savings account and would swipe it across for me..at the flick of this "switch" that all banks have.....as I had technically banked with them since I was about 6 and a half!!!

Hypothetically...I would have said, dear bank manager, I had the money ...honest....but I spent it all debating important matters over too many glasses of Sauvignon with Drewboy...! And I do get paid next week. drunken

Hypothetically, I would get one of those clever modern accounts...all in one pot..but then you have to train the other half about incomings versus outgoings being in balance....and its easier to be fined than attempt that discussion in this house..!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 00:59

helencbradshaw wrote:

Hypothetically...I would have said, dear bank manager, I had the money ...honest....but I spent it all debating important matters over too many glasses of Sauvignon with Drewboy...! And I do get paid next week. drunken

Oh, so now it's my fault!!!!! Wink

But yeah, an all in one account (with the mortgage) is SO the way to go. But that is a whole other discussion!

(p.s - my bank would let you away with £15)
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 01:07

mine did too....eventually..!
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 10:16

I wouldn't. Sort yourself out woman! Smile
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 21:11

I am glad YOU are not my banker!!

Not sure where you work these days but all my utilities etc are paid on time... Laughing
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 21:34

helencbradshaw wrote:
I am glad YOU are not my banker!!

Not sure where you work these days but all my utilities etc are paid on time... Laughing

I work for myself these days so it's unlikely you'd owe me anything! Smile
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Aug 2007, 21:44

Thank god for that!
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyFri 17 Aug 2007, 20:42

Drew seen as you work in banking can you tell me why bank base rates differ from the Bank of England base rate. I genuinely dont know and would be interested to find out !!
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 18 Aug 2007, 03:08

Depend which bank rate you are referring to.

The base rate is the rate at which the Bank of England set to lend money to the bank (ie, the wholesale cost of lending). If a bank only charges base rate to a customer, they effectively make no money. If they charge less, they make a loss.

Therefore, the difference in the rate a bank charges from the base rate, is gross profit on that mortgage.

(apologies if this doesnt make sense, been drinking for like 13 hours!)
Back to top Go down
freaklikeme

freaklikeme

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 18 Aug 2007, 17:48

Just out of interest Drew...and dont jump down my throat here..

If you didnt work for the Bank..would you still believe that these Bank charges were fair??. when you have to justify something to customers day in day out you can be brainwashed into believing that what you are telling them is right!..not saying that you have of course

I know when i worked for the Bank..that staff were exempt from charges and the interest rates we paid were no where near what the customers paid.. and we were not supposed to let our accounts go overdrawn but even if we did we were not charged..not sure if that is still the case..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/madaamjojo
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 18 Aug 2007, 18:25

I can see why you think that, but I havent worked in customer service since 2001, and only for a very short time. As an mortgage advisor, I had to justify why I was lending money to customers and if they had charges, they were not likely to get past me in all honesty. If they can't manage their accounts, and pay their bills on time, why should I lend them more money? That was actual bank policy (still is, and is the same in every bank I have worked for).

So, if you think about it, why would a bank deliberately target people to charge them, if it would mean those customers would not pass their own underwriting criteria for additional products? Kind of biting the hand that feed's you if you ask me.

Staff at my old work, and my current one are NOT exempt from charges but we do get preferential rates (not unauthorised overdrafts rates however) and in fact, can be penalised much harder - ie lose of job.

If, when I was a mortgage advisor, I had been charged for abusing my bank account, I would have been subject to a job review as they see it as "if you can't control your finances, how can you advice others on theirs?" - which I actually agree with. Being regulated by the FSA and on their register, I could be subject to fines for lending decisions made while not being able to conduct my own accounts properly.

Even now, if I get a charge, my line manager can be informed about it and I can get questioned.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyWed 12 Sep 2007, 17:55

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6987110.stm

Not only a good thing but this will probably initiate a spate of reduced charges statements from other banks. Wonder if this is in anticipation of any impending outcome of the test case ? Also does it mean 'the end of free banking' claim was a red herring ?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyWed 12 Sep 2007, 22:37

good enough for me.

Its my bank too.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyTue 22 Jan 2008, 23:47

Got a £145 refund today from my old mortgage company Bristol and West - overcharging on exit fees. Ive done my bit Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jan 2008, 00:18

Could you write my letters, I have paid off a mortgage or two in the last six years..keep meaning to check this out
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyWed 23 Jan 2008, 10:12

Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyThu 24 Apr 2008, 22:07

So the test case went against the banks. Lisa will be happy as shes got a claim in for £1200 Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyFri 25 Apr 2008, 09:46

It will be interesting to see how they then respond, I personally fear the idea of free banking for those who maintain salary credits and do not go overdrawn may go for a while.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptyFri 25 Apr 2008, 15:19

As ever the poorest people will be the ones to suffer
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 26 Apr 2008, 13:11

It actually went both ways. And was not a judgement on the fairness of the charges, just the the OFT can now investigate it.

The judge also ruled that bank T&C's are fair and not missleading, which is a significant win for the banks.

All claims are still on hold.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 26 Apr 2008, 16:34

drewboy wrote:
It actually went both ways. And was not a judgement on the fairness of the charges, just the the OFT can now investigate it.

The judge also ruled that bank T&C's are fair and not missleading, which is a significant win for the banks.

All claims are still on hold.

Didnt the OFT bring about the case in the first place ?
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 26 Apr 2008, 17:55

They were fighting for the right to look into it. That's what the case was about. Not about the charges themselves.

Yes, they won that right, but not as far reaching as they wanted to.

This is only that start of a long process which, once again, the dam ned media is not reporting correctly.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 EmptySat 26 Apr 2008, 22:50

It seems inevitable now though, given that it was the OFT that took the banks to court, that these charges are deemed 'unfair' ??

I agree the whole process will drag on though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Banks & Charges
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next