www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Banks & Charges

Go down 
+10
The Polar One
Ciao's Favourite Member
spoilt_little_brat
plipplop
dididave
atticusuk
WormThatTurned
helencbradshaw
Ziggy!
drewboy
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

Banks & Charges - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 00:35

must be my age, I would rather you posted more Lisa, so I can go Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah at the babbby!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 12:02

If your a five rover drawn and you geta ten pound fine,mthat sems rather unfair and disproportionate. If the banking regulator, the judicairy and the goverment all side with the banks over this illigal fees then its seems like closing ranks. What this is bout is people power being quashed. Even today the water companies are talking about putting UP water prices becuase of too much rain. Its called profiteering in America and the banks are the worst at it..
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 12:38

Amazingly I agree with Ziggy on this one. I never thought that would happen Smile

Surely there can be a cap introduced on charges to prevent some banks excessive penalties which would benefit customers and banks ?

The banks well aware they are making billions out of customer penalties are just sabre rattling by saying it could trigger the end of free banking. The banking system is highly competitive in this country. If some withdrew free banking, others would try and capitilize.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 12:48

Ziggy! wrote:
If your a five rover drawn and you geta ten pound fine,mthat sems rather unfair and disproportionate.

Certainly see the emotional logic in that vie ( and would like to recognise an all time first that two consecutive posts have some empathy with Phil Very Happy ) however the cost to the bank is the same whenever the account goes overdrawn from an administrative view point however you would expect most Bank Managers to have half a brain (I did) and refund any charge like that in the first instance, if it happens repeatedly then maybe not every time.

Not sure of the figures but I would be surprised if it was billions just from penalty charges, most profit comes from other sources withing the banks.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 13:18

The Times estimates the charges at 5 million !!
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 15:31

WormThatTurned wrote:

Guess that made your claim of billions a bit on the high side then Wink
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 18:07

atticusuk wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

Oops Smile

5 billion, even
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 21:12

But what if managers and supervisors are trined to push people into debt by all manner of scams, then cash in on the charges...
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

Number of posts : 1685
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jul 2007, 23:07

Ziggy! wrote:
But what if managers and supervisors are trined to push people into debt by all manner of scams, then cash in on the charges...

Then they are breaking the law.

High Street banking is NOT where the banks make their money.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 12:10

I know its a small chunk of thier profits but that attitude of debt brings i their profits world-wide. Thats what they are protecting their position this week. Any one who has a small business and banks with a big bank knows what bullies they are and how many 'deliberate' mistakes they make to get you in debt.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 12:41

And where has it been said that bank workers are making deliberate mistakes to ensure customers rack up charges?
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 17:24

WormThatTurned wrote:
atticusuk wrote:
WormThatTurned wrote:

Oops Smile

5 billion, even

Still pales into nothing when you consider that HSBC alone will probably set aside £2.7bn for bad debt this year.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 17:25

Ziggy! wrote:
I know its a small chunk of thier profits but that attitude of debt brings i their profits world-wide. Thats what they are protecting their position this week. Any one who has a small business and banks with a big bank knows what bullies they are and how many 'deliberate' mistakes they make to get you in debt.

Stop taking the drugs you know they make you paranoid. geek
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 20:11

Our economy is now dependant on people spending on credit and I agree wome people shouldnt be given it,but its evry easy for non debtors to go overdrawn by actions that werent theres.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 21:18

I would be more worried about how department store staff try to push store cards as a cause of debt, they are targeted by bosses and incentivised to push the cards to anyone making a purchase.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 21:44

Thats true, the interest rates on some of these store cards are so high Im amazed anybody takes one out Smile
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 22:06

I hate the way ever since we moved house we get loads of phone calls from banks asking us if we want money to buy extra stuff for our house.

And the thing I hate the most is 3 times in the past 3 months I have had phone calls from the worst company EVER, HFC, asking me to take out a loan. They even leave answerphone messages when I am out saying they are HSBC (I believe they are part of the same group) calling about my bank account. Mad
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Jul 2007, 23:58

They are really bac (HFC)

Though put your number on the telephone preference service and they are not allowed to call you.

But yes, banks have far bigger figures to worry about that the amount they make in charges. They are big numbers to us, but not to them.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2007, 14:26

Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 20:06

Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 20:08

Looks like bank charges on withdrawls are coming:<
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 20:11

.... because of people who will not manage their accounts properly getting HUGE payouts.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 20:13

Nope. Because the banks have 'vectored in' fraud as profits and dont want to lose that cash.
Back to top Go down
drewboy
Admin
drewboy

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 20:21

look up the definition of fraud, would you?
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2007, 21:21

Good news if it means the banks start charging a fair penalty fee for going overdrawn.

The 'end of free banking' threat, I believe is a red herring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banks & Charges   Banks & Charges - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Banks & Charges
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next