www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Writing a review on music CD.

Go down 
+16
Ciao's Favourite Member
Vax
Thingywhatsit
koshkha
Essexgirl
WendyBull
lisa2062
spoilt_little_brat
fizzywizzy
kellylouj
duskmaiden
steerpyke
liz1102
berlioz
helencbradshaw
scream4bruce
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

Writing a review on music CD. Empty
PostSubject: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 20 Nov 2006, 18:31

In the future I have many plans.

One of these is to write reviews on music CDs.

I know by a track by track is one way of doing this but I don't plan to do it like this, I would like ideas to flow into one another.

What signifies at least a 'Helpful' review in your eyes? Do you feel it is necessary to say something about each of the songs?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 20 Nov 2006, 18:39

I hate track by track reviews. I do not think you have to say something about every song. I think you have to say what you think about the CD overall, perhaps with some songs, or a mention that one or two songs were weaker in the middle, or whatever.....

A track by track review would never make me buy a CD. I think I would review them in the same way as you might see them reviewed in a sunday supplement, and that is definitely not track by track!

I think they should be done as ideas flowing into another. I would be more inclined to rate a track by track review down to H, as these are usually boriing, but would rate a short 600-800 word flowing review VH (assuming there was enough there to warrant that!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 20 Nov 2006, 20:55

I hate track by tracks as well, though much depends on the style of the music itself. Sometimes a track by track review can be disguised by not separating each track into their own paragraph, but to lump a couple of songs into one and not get descripting like "now comes this, then comes this, and now comes this" unless you really think it important to know (speaking of personal experience as I used to do stuff like that and only do it mostly for major classical reviews these days).

If the music basically consists of a whole rather than parts, then a set of highlights and other important moments are good to know of in more detail, and the lesser bits can be ignored or discussed with less detail.

Also avoid extended quotes of lyrics, as those are really not that interesting to read. Track listings are good to be added at the end of the review, rather than at top or middle. Perhaps a little history of the band/artist/composer, but nothing really over the barrier of it becoming a biography.

And above all, give a clear idea as to what the music sounds, rather than what it is about (instrumentation, playing, anything specific to note of performances or such).

At least that is stuff I always consider when doing music reviews. Wink
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 20 Nov 2006, 21:24

Seems you all hate me, lol cos I do them track by track. Its not always the best way I know but its how I like to write them - I sit there with my CD on and write as it plays :-p I'm still perfecting my review writing though, so I'll bare your comments in mind

I think the important things are stuff like, what it sounds like, genre, if a particular instrument stands out, whether it meets the standards met by previous albums by the same artist / in the same genre. Personally I like songs that tell a story, so if a particular track has a particularly meaningful story, summarise it maybe.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 20 Nov 2006, 22:47

I tend to go for a middle ground and that is write about most of the tracks but do so in flowing cohesive lumps of description. Use the various tracks to explain what the music is about and if some tracks seem to cover similar ground don't bother repeating yourself.

Also one thing that many people seem to overlook is the actual music. i have read whole reviews that concentrate on just what the lyrics are about and have little reference to the music. Describe how songs make you feel, music is an emotive force, explain the effect and if all you can say about a song is that its "catchy" or "upbeat" or "good" then go and do something else instead.

Also assume the reader knows nothing at all about the CD (a good tip for any product) and dont resort to its better than album x without a full explaination.

there are some good guides to this sort of thing to be found on ciao and dooyoo in the non-payment areas so its always worth checking them out.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 20 Nov 2006, 23:36

liz1102 wrote:
Seems you all hate me, lol cos I do them track by track. Its not always the best way I know but its how I like to write them - I sit there with my CD on and write as it plays :-p I'm still perfecting my review writing though, so I'll bare your comments in mind

No lol, just the reviews Razz (only kidding!!)

Seriously, I think the problem is people read them, then follow that pattern, as being the best way to go. It isn't. It seems logical, however reading song lyrics is normally utterly pointless, (although using them in the occasional review is fine, in isolation, not every track)

I think, if I were an avid contributor to the music section, I would read and understand professional music reviews, what makes them work and how they tick. I can think of 2-3 people on site that can actually do this, and if those that are genuinely interested want to see what I think are the good examples, then I will pm names for people to look at (unless Rachel shouts at me first).
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
duskmaiden

duskmaiden

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2006-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyTue 21 Nov 2006, 16:09

itis weird if you look at themetro you will oly get a paragraphh if you are lucky. Ony major major albums get trak by teck reviews in Q.
I like to know who it might be similar too . Whehter it is ballds or up tempo stuff, genre is imprtan to me as there are genres i am not that keen on I like e the odd lyrics if they are silly or beautiful. i know i quoted a full verse in a an album review buti relly liked th lyic.

i am not keen on full biopgraphies of band.s. there are a couple of people on Cuiao or were on Cuioa who are experts on their fave bands and the reviews are so bio heavy they bore nme.

i actuall read 170 word music review that was rate mostly sH that was rwlly good and told me a lot more than one 10 times the length
Back to top Go down
kellylouj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2006-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 10:56

I like a review that tells you if the album is worth buying or not analising track by track unfortunately does not do it for me. A long as you review the cd and how the artists perfomance is then it will constituet a very helpful review.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 12:45

Why is it that when some people quote lyrics, they seem to quote the really naff ones, cringe-making ones, but ones they appear to think say something good about the CD?
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 12:46

Why gives me an idea....what is the most naff lyirc you can think of? I will send this to the banter forum, join me there.....
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 15:50

I always like track by track, it helps me find what you think of each song but I tend to only give VH if each track is mentioned.
Back to top Go down
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyWed 22 Nov 2006, 22:37

I don't think track by track is the end of the world, but it's important to keep talk about the actual music on top. Song lyrics can take on a personal interpretation but I would deal with such matters briefly, along with band history and the like.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 19:14

I would love to do a music review, but often find it hard to pick out what the instruments are. For example I love the spanish Artist Juanes, but apart from the Guitar and drums I can never work out what the other sounds are. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 20:29

That would be the didgeridoo, hardinger fiddle and the motha'fac'n sax. Wink
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 20:34

lisa2062 wrote:
I would love to do a music review, but often find it hard to pick out what the instruments are. For example I love the spanish Artist Juanes, but apart from the Guitar and drums I can never work out what the other sounds are. Lisa x

I was just thinking the exact same thing this afternoon. I was getting geared up to do a review on music for a change and put the CD on, but couldn't decipher what instrumetn was what! How on earth do you find out? I could really embarrass myself if someopne knows the music well and I cock it up! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 20:40

I'm not alone then! I did write one ciao, but it was terrible. Like I said some instruments are obvious, but others are very hard to decipher. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 20:41

What was the CD by the way? Lisa x
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 21:26

Dr Hook, Making Love & Music Cool
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 21:32

Just had to look them up on Amazon, as I've never heard of them. I take it this album is Country and Rock like the previous ones? Lisa x
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 21:35

Yeah, that about sums it up. lol It is on HMV as rock including metal, but i wouldn't say it had any metal in it!
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 21:40

Sites such as HMV and Amazon always make me laugh, as half the time the music is in the wrong category. I'm listening to some of the tracks on itunes at the moment to see what they're like. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 21:41

I found them by accident but my faves are

A little bit more
When your in love with a beautiful woman
From teh jungle to the zoo
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptySun 26 Nov 2006, 21:49

From the sound clips I've heard, I quite like them.
Mum however has terrible memories of them, as many moons ago a woman in the top flat where she lived played Silvia's Mother very loud. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Essexgirl

Essexgirl

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyMon 27 Nov 2006, 21:56

My track by track (although usually written in paragraphs rather than a conventional list) reviews get higher rates than my more generic reviews were I mentioned just highlights/lowlights.

I take it as it comes, but if all the key points are covered, and the info is sufficient to convince me to buy it if it was my thing (or otherwise) then the length isn't really important.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. EmptyTue 28 Nov 2006, 17:29

I probably won't write one again, but I think as long as you describe the style of the album and then give your opinion on the highs and lows of it, then you can't go wrong. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing a review on music CD.   Writing a review on music CD. Empty

Back to top Go down

Writing a review on music CD.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next