www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rates not corresponding with comments

Go down 
+2
butters
lisa2062
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

Rates not corresponding with comments Empty
PostSubject: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 19:20

I was discussing this with someone else recently, and I'm somewhat baffled by the whole thing.

An example - someone writes a camera review, but fails to mention quality of photos, battery life, and ease of use. Correct me if I'm wrong but these are some of the many things you'd want to know, right?

Anyway someone comes along, rates the review VU, but then mentions the above things in the comment.

Then why did they rate the review VU, if it didn't contain very important info relating to the product that they have mentioned should have been there? Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 21:31

Well, some people value some things more than others and maybe they gave it a VU but just about. Some people have a more relaxed ratng system. Some other just like to comment
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 21:48

I find it hard to believe that you think people rate and comment according to the quality of a review!

lisa2062 wrote:
I was discussing this with someone else recently, and I'm somewhat baffled by the whole thing.

An example - someone writes a camera review, but fails to mention quality of photos, battery life, and ease of use. Correct me if I'm wrong but these are some of the many things you'd want to know, right?

Anyway someone comes along, rates the review VU, but then mentions the above things in the comment.

Then why did they rate the review VU, if it didn't contain very important info relating to the product that they have mentioned should have been there? Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 22:22

butters wrote:
Well, some people value some things more than others and maybe they gave it a VU but just about. Some people have a more relaxed ratng system. Some other just like to comment

Yeah, good point. I think some people just don't really care about whether the 'auto-focus' can zoom in on a gnat’s bow-tie - they give it a VU or a VH because it gave a lot of relevant info, if not all that some people desire. Plus, as Butters said, some people like leaving a comment and think they should probably put some constructive criticism in, even if they really liked the review.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 22:26

Yes, im agreeing back at Sam now. Some people just like to know the qualityof the pics,the price and size since they dont need it for zoom. So it is VU to them but they realise it isn't to others.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 22:28

Quote :

And some people just rate VU cos its long.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 22:31

It's the whole 'opinion thing' again. What is 'VU' to someone could potentially be a 'NU' for somebody else - just because of what they want or are looking for in a review - that includes extra-details, length, narration style, whether it's funny, whether it's written well etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptyMon 10 Jul 2006, 18:47

butters wrote:
Yes, I'm agreeing back at Sam now. Some people just like to know the quality of the pics, the price and size since they don't need it for zoom. So it is VU to them but they realise it isn't to others.

I would agree, but when I've read comments saying I would've liked to have known about X, X, and X, then why rate it highly? Perhaps as Debbie said if it's Ciao members, then there is always the possibility of clicking on the wrong tab. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptyMon 10 Jul 2006, 18:49

Quote :
I would agree, but when I've read comments saying I would've liked to have known about X, X, and X, then why rate it highly? Perhaps as Debbie said if it's Ciao members, then there is always the possibility of clicking on the wrong tab. Lisa x

You ever done that the other way around and rated NH on ciao ? I did it once.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptyMon 10 Jul 2006, 18:56

could it not be argued that if a review contains 80% of the criteria that make it informative its still very useful, the extra 20% are what makes it crownworthy. I often moan about music reviews not being as descriptive as I would like, but I recognise that as being something personal to me and it doesnt necessarily make the review less than VU in its brief as a guide for potential buyers
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptyMon 10 Jul 2006, 19:05

Yes, you have a very valued point Dave. In reply to Rachel, I was on Ciao before I joined dooyoo, so I know the ratings are back to front. If I was to make a genuine mistake I'd hope I'd spot it, or the member would point it out to me. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptyMon 10 Jul 2006, 19:07

I don;t think others are that bothered by one rating error. I knew straight away when I did mine ! (cos it asks you to say why)
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments EmptyMon 10 Jul 2006, 20:19

I know, if your rating is against the average you're asked to leave a comment. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rates not corresponding with comments   Rates not corresponding with comments Empty

Back to top Go down

Rates not corresponding with comments
Page 1 of 1