www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?

Go down 
+9
Essexgirl
marcellep
badcompany77
fizzywizzy
steerpyke
koshkha
liz1102
berlioz
Thingywhatsit
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? Empty
PostSubject: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 16:13

Writing reviews takes time. We do them the best that we can, and it's wonderful to have feedback from other members. Sure, if people click their way around the site, you get your money, but if people read you, you get the satisfaction that people read the review and some comments were made in the way of feedback. I would certainly plumb for a read rather than a click any day. How do other members feel ?
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 16:19

Definitely a read, though sometimes a boring subject may cause a little skip motion to take place, but most certainly a read (which probably explains why I'm so slow in going through reviews myself).
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 16:21

But if it is boring to you, then its boring to the consumer. The idea is to keep the reader interested isn't it ?
Back to top Go down
berlioz

berlioz

Number of posts : 3532
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 16:33

Depends on the writer I suppose. Some are better at keeping interest than others. I guess the subject matter has also something to play in it. I often find travel reviews hard to get through because they usually have to be a bit more detailed, though I doubt I will ever visit most of the places, so I don't need to know how much it'll cost for me to go eating at some castle. But I think that is a matter of personal impatience on my part, rather than anything else. Those wanting to know how to grow a potatoe will probably get more out of the subject than me.
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyMon 11 Dec 2006, 16:35

Thingywhatsit wrote:
But if it is boring to you, then its boring to the consumer. The idea is to keep the reader interested isn't it ?

Not necessarily. Reviews of video games generally bore me because I'm not a video game person. But to someone who is looking to buy the game it wouldn't be boring at all.

I do like to read the comments and feedback people leave, but an guilty of not commenting all that much when I go round reading.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 18:24

The answer surely is to read what interests you - I don't read reviews of computer games, mobile phones, digi cameras etc because they just don't interest me.

Most of the time I'm not so desperate for people to read my stuff that I'll read any old tosh just to get return reads.

One thing I wish was available on dooyoo (sorry to change the subject) is a few lines of the review before you click through - like on Ciao. There are a few people who consistently churn out such utter tripe that I'm furious when I forget their names, click on the review and accidentally contribute another 3p to their evil mission to perpetuate the internet with total drivel.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 18:26

I read all kinds of reviews and most is relevant to my life. I play games, I love internet sites, I love software, and am interested in cosmetics and technology. Its actually interesting that I have learned so much from reading reviews.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 18:28

You are clearly a more rounded and open minded soul than me. I have a friend who says 'life's too short to read bad books' and I think I'd extend it to reviews on topics I have no interest in.

Good for you for your dedication.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyTue 12 Dec 2006, 18:29

It's not dedication at all. It's knowing that others know more than I do about things. I have found some super things amongst reviews and if anything its my ignorance on those products that makes me read them.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 02:26

I see your point but I don't and won't play computer games.

In what way am I going to enrich my life and contribute meaningful learnings by reading about stuff I don't understand and have no interest in?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 02:36

I have read many that I had no understanding of and reading a good clear review actually educated me and I learned many things about programs for the computer, products that I never considered buying but that do things I want them to do, researched telephones, and all kinds of things and just occasionally you get a real gem of a review that comes as a total surprise and think - hey that is so helpful.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 15:34

koshkha wrote:
I have a friend who says 'life's too short to read bad books'

I think that is also my outlook, why bother with things that clearly are not something that you are interested in, theres enough other people who will read it. I know people will say that thats a poor attitude, but what I mean is that you can't read every post so I limit myself to things that I may be interested in buying or at least knowing more about or writers that I know to be an interesting read.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 16:55

Steerpyke, I also think that if you read what you are interested in you are more likely to give a fair rate - I always risk being more negative about something that doesn't interest me.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 16:56

Couldn't agree more - not another kids' book review....sorry but I won't be reading any more.

BTW, is this question like a nod being as good as a wink?
Back to top Go down
badcompany77

badcompany77

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2006-07-12

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 17:10

fizzywizzy wrote:
Couldn't agree more - not another kids' book review....sorry but I won't be reading any more.

BTW, is this question like a nod being as good as a wink?

I dont read the kids book reviews, I just look at the pictures. I just random read these days, white dot, green dot about whatever.....It interests me how people write....

Just the other day I read a review about 6 lines long which had spelling errors, no paragraphs and was just crap...I thought oh well 1st review but on looking it was their 22nd review.....How can this happen ???
Back to top Go down
http://www.problempages.net
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 17:23

I thought I'd proofed that one..
Back to top Go down
marcellep

marcellep

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 18:04

I def would prefer a read over a rating any day, It really annoys me that you can spend hours doing a review and as soon as its on Dooyoo/Ciao for less than a min you have someone rate it. Now how fast can people read or is that a difefrent subject all together.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyWed 13 Dec 2006, 18:04

I wondered also why people would be satisfied with writing less than helpful reviews over an extended period and since having messaging actually messaged some members that do this to see why. One wrote back and said they don't take writing reviews seriously and its a bit of fun. I suppose it takes all sorts.
Back to top Go down
Essexgirl

Essexgirl

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 01:44

koshkha wrote:

Most of the time I'm not so desperate for people to read my stuff that I'll read any old tosh just to get return reads.

You get return reads?! I guess that is a whole new thread!

What I read depends on time, if I am only online for a short time I'll cherry-pick topics and reviewers to read, if it is a slow day at work I'll take my time reading newbies and sometimes giving feedback, I can learn things from well-written reviews on topics I wouldn't normally be interested in but I have yet to find a motherboard review that has interested me (or I've even understood for that matter).
Back to top Go down
Stunt_101

Stunt_101

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2006-11-07

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 10:41

I would definately prefer reads. If people just click a rating without reading it, it obviously means they don't care and that makes me very, very sad Sad
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 11:31

Isn't it really a bit of a daft question at heart - you don't KNOW if you've had a click or a read so why worry about it?

Over on Ciao you get more of a feel for whether you've really been read because people leave a lot more comments - that's one of the downsides to dooyoo. Most people who read on both seem to comment predominantly on Ciao. And I also find it frustrating that the new dooyoo system makes it really difficult to track comments - especially if left on older reviews. As a reader I tend to wonder if there's any point leaving a comment that someone might not even see is there.
Back to top Go down
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyFri 15 Dec 2006, 02:05

I choose a read as well. I choose us.
Back to top Go down
liz1102

liz1102

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyFri 15 Dec 2006, 02:42

koshkha wrote:
Isn't it really a bit of a daft question at heart - you don't KNOW if you've had a click or a read so why worry about it?

But with the new Dooyoo look there are two separate pages of Who read my review and Who rated my review, so if you were inclined to do so, you could figure out who only read and who had rated.
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyFri 15 Dec 2006, 11:23

Yes, you can tell who opened it and didn't rate - but that STILL doesn't tell you whether that person or any of those who opened and rated ACTUALLY read the review.

I don't really see that it matters.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? EmptyFri 15 Dec 2006, 14:56

Yeah I dont think it matters and I don't like the new option to see who read the review and who rated it. What if that member didn't rate it? You would be pretty peed off!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?   WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ? Empty

Back to top Go down

WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A CLICK OR A READ ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next