www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vindictive Rating - a Question

Go down 
+5
lisa2062
Thingywhatsit
Ciao's Favourite Member
helencbradshaw
koshkha
9 posters
AuthorMessage
koshkha

koshkha

Number of posts : 1091
Location : Northants & S. Cheshire - depends on the day of the week
Registration date : 2006-08-17

Vindictive Rating - a Question Empty
PostSubject: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 18:27

Hi there, this has probably been raised before so sorry if I'm repeating an old thread.
Does anyone know if Ciao will act against someone doing a vindictive H rate or will they only act on SH, NH and OT's?

Yes I KNOW that an H isn't negative but an H used in anger is still a nasty sneaky thing to do.

I had an incident on Dooyoo a while back (I get more *Bad word* off over there because I only have 9 H rates in total so a new one really sticks out) and they admitted that the person who did it to me had found a loophole in the system because they could only act on SH and below.

In the latest case on Ciao the person has never read me before and clearly only did this time to get their own back for a comment I left on their review. My comment and rate were substantiated by other readers, he just dumped an H and ran.

What do you reckon? Would it be an utter waste of time to even attempt a report? Or should I just 'get a life' (yep, I know that's what you are thinking).
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 18:32

no, they won't do anything....well very unlikely anyway.

It can be annoying, this is the more intelligent class of revenge rater..but I think the official line is they do expect a range of rates so won't remove it (unless they do something else and they delete them totally I guess..).

I have collected a few NH this weekend...for someone I didnt even rate at all...obviously just took a dislike to my name!! Mine is the stupid type of revenge rater though, very easy to spot...!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 21:03

Sorry, but this is complete idiocy as far as I'm concerned and the whole tone of the post borders on arrogance - "only" 9 Usefuls on Dooyoo?

I don't think that Dooyoo shouldn't have mentioned any 'loophole'. It's practically impossible to prove any rating other than NU/NH or OT as these rates have fairly clearly defined parameters and it's even arguable that you can prove NU/NH. You can only be suspicious, but you can rarely be 100% certain.

You're obviously a writer that's proud of their work, which isn't a bad thing, but no matter how good you are (or how good you think you are), you really shouldn't be getting a clean sweep of any rating really. It's a flaw in the peer review system on these sites that people don't have enough backbone to rate appropriately for the most part and simply click whatever will get them the least amount of grief. With the spread of people on Dooyoo and Ciao, you should be getting a spread of ratings across a number of ratings levels. I hope you're as indignant about the over-rating you've received as you are about the so-called vindictive rating. Your post suggests you completely misunderstand the entire rating system.

Unsurprisingly, I fall firmly into the "get a life" category.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 21:29

Quote :
What do you reckon? Would it be an utter waste of time to even attempt a report? Or should I just 'get a life' (yep, I know that's what you are thinking).

How can a helpful rating be negative ? That is what Ciao will ask. It is a paid rating and therefore cannot be construed as abusive. Yeh, perhaps they irritate a writer that has pride in their work, but ciao will not act on a report and it's certainly not worth worrying about.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 21:45

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Quote :

How can a helpful rating be negative ? That is what Ciao will ask. It is a paid rating and therefore cannot be construed as abusive. Yeh, perhaps they irritate a writer that has pride in their work, but ciao will not act on a report and it's certainly not worth worrying about.

That's exactly what I thought. And I don't intend to worry about it.
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 21:48

I wouldn't worry about it either, although I know what you mean. I rated a review 'H' and left a comment once, and straight away a newbie went and rated a few of mine the same. At the end of the day the important thing is the overall rating of a review. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
scream4bruce

scream4bruce

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2006-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 22:09

lisa2062 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it either, although I know what you mean. I rated a review 'H' and left a comment once, and straight away a newbie went and rated a few of mine the same. At the end of the day the important thing is the overall rating of a review. Lisa x

That happened to me as well, sort of. But when I write a review I hope it is at least Helpful/Useful so I was happy with those ratings. Very Happy

I feel the Helpful/Useful rating has become undermined unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 23:22

I get quite a few vindictive VH ratings when clearly the one member who rated my review E is the only sane member on Ciao and the rest are all consumed by petty jealousy. Cool
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 23:24

Quote :
Mon 8 Jan 2007 - 20:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get quite a few vindictive VH ratings when clearly the one member who rated my review E is the only sane member on Ciao and the rest are all consumed by petty jealousy

LOL at you !!
Back to top Go down
koshkha

koshkha

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 23:39

atticusuk wrote:
I get quite a few vindictive VH ratings when clearly the one member who rated my review E is the only sane member on Ciao and the rest are all consumed by petty jealousy. Cool

Maybe we should ask for a special 'Super E' just for you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 23:42

Quote :
Maybe we should ask for a special 'Super E' just for you.

Could be please keep drugs off the forum. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyMon 08 Jan 2007, 23:42

koshkha wrote:
atticusuk wrote:

Maybe we should ask for a special 'Super E' just for you. Very Happy

At last the voice of reason, you should be a guide.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptyTue 09 Jan 2007, 00:07

Ciao doesn't have guides Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
anonymili

anonymili

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptySun 28 Jan 2007, 11:19

I reported someone for giving me an "off topic" rating which was clearly a revenge rate... I am quite interested to see if Ciao actually takes any action or if the member is sent a bog standard email asking if they agree to the T&Cs like a long established member was sent the other day.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question EmptySun 28 Jan 2007, 15:06

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Quote :
Maybe we should ask for a special 'Super E' just for you.

Could be please keep drugs off the forum. Thank you.

sorry, (puts out spliff)
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vindictive Rating - a Question   Vindictive Rating - a Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Vindictive Rating - a Question
Page 1 of 1