www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SPEAKERS CORNER.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyWed 08 Mar 2006, 23:08

I believe that speakers corner has a valuable place on dooyoo if it stays the way that it is, and has subjects of general interest to the public. Ciao has gone too far the other way and although we approached them in an effort to get rid of innane categories they wanted them, so not much you can do to help a situation they cause themselves.

However, making the Writers Corner area of Dooyoo a thriving place with useful reviews on topics that are of interest to the public rather than to other members of the site seems a good way forward. I have already thought of one proposal that would greatly help the public, but can members think of things that they think would aid the Speakers Corner and make it a mine of information and not a dumping ground like a lot of the ciao cafe is, i.e. not challenges, etc., but subjects that help the reader in some way.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 09:26

I think what you are saying is member/consumer advice pieces and I like the idea of more of that and less in the way of "Whats in my bag".
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Turtlewi

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 10:33

Quote :
subjects that help the reader in some way

What they NEED is a Happy Birthday category.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 09 Mar 2006, 11:18

Quote :
What they NEED is a Happy Birthday category.

I think thats the last thing they need.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyFri 10 Mar 2006, 19:58

I came back here, because I think it would help to know what members think would constitute good subjects for writers corner. I looked through the categories that are there, and some have never been written on and look like football things. I believe that value can be added to the site by having some really good advice sections. What would you see as useful in this section.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyFri 10 Mar 2006, 20:20

The problem in Speaker's Corner is that it became the dumping ground during a previous re-write of the site - Aurora. Before that, each category had a 'forum' area for discussion topics and Speaker's Corner was limited to social and political debate. However, the navigation isn't clear and it's difficult to see what categories were originally intended to be. That's why there are so many 'general' categories. Some were 'general' in the old Sports category, or 'general' in the old Lifestyle category, etc etc.

Many of these categories will be moved to the archive eventually - with eventually being the operative word.

I think the best way forward certainly is to suggest new and current topics and thus not run the risk of opinions being consigned to the archive in the fullness of time.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyFri 10 Mar 2006, 20:27

I agree with that as some looked strange. The "general" categories seemed a little odd on there, and I did not understand them. I suppose that as the database grows, these will be deleted, and replaced by more up to date ones. Found some neat photos to go with mine on a site called acclaimimages which is basically copyright free images that anyone can use, as we have to put an image link into the proposal.
Back to top Go down
missy0303

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-03-02

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 13:54

The only thing i would change about the speakers corner is to have a section for short stories/poetry, as these are things i enjoy reading.....
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 15:17

Quote :
The only thing i would change about the speakers corner is to have a section for short stories/poetry, as these are things i enjoy reading.....

Ciao overdid it. Partly my fault as I like writing stuff like that as well and proposed loads. The problem is where do you stop ? I think as the Dooyoo place is called Speakers Corner, it is more useful to have reviews giving advice on aspects that the general public are interested in, whereas Ciao made theirs out to be cafe where reviews are more generalised. I've looked into alternative sites and there are some good ones for fiction and poetry although Speakers Corner perhaps isn't the place for poems and stories. Only my view.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 15:28

Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptySat 11 Mar 2006, 15:32

Thats a neat link. Poetry.com comes to mind as well although not keen on their sales techniques.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty

Back to top Go down

SPEAKERS CORNER.
Page 1 of 1