www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SPEAKERS CORNER.

Go down 
+7
steerpyke
crispy
atticusuk
aoife74
kelr101
dididave
Thingywhatsit
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

SPEAKERS CORNER
The same as consumer reviews ?
SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_lcap31%SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_rcap
 31% [ 5 ]
With a different rating guideline ?
SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_lcap44%SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_rcap
 44% [ 7 ]
No rating but ability to leave comment ?
SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_lcap13%SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Other, please mention
SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_lcap0%SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Abolish speakers corner ?
SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_lcap12%SPEAKERS CORNER. Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 13:05

Someone asked about rating on cafe reviews on the ciao section and I wondered what people thought about ratings on speakers corner reviews. Just curiosity.

I have put the same options as Kels did on her poll.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 13:16

I would like to see seperate guidelines as to how you should be rating Speaker's Corner. I rate on content, balance of argument and effort put into to tackle the subject at hand.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
kelr101

kelr101

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2006-03-06

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:35

I'm the same.

Speakers Corner should concern topics that can be debated, such as smoking, speed camera's, supermarket dominance etc, and I would like to be able to rate based on certain areas...examples given, strength and weakness of the argument etc.

a VH or H etc doesn't accurately portray what my rate should mean.
Back to top Go down
aoife74

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2006-05-24

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 10:10

I agree with different rating guidelines. I find it very difficult to rate them as most of the time they're so short & it seems (atleast nearly all of the ones I read) that no effort has gone into them. So I'm loathe to rate & sometimes just comment.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 10:19

aoife74 wrote:
I agree with different rating guidelines. I find it very difficult to rate them as most of the time they're so short & it seems (atleast nearly all of the ones I read) that no effort has gone into them. So I'm loathe to rate & sometimes just comment.

If no effort has gone into them then I would have thought it would be easy to rate as they have not been much use to you.

Part of the problem is Speakers Corner has been a dumping ground in the past for certain categories therefore you get a great range of topcs, some on consumer items like premium bonds and other topics more a debate or the endless top ten people you would like to shag / shoot categories.
Back to top Go down
aoife74

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 10:27

Yes I can rate them not useful but it's ridiculous that someone earns something for all their not useful rates - so I prefer to not rate & leave a comment saying it wasn't useful if you get what I mean.
I could imagine that some people would actually write something to stir people's reactions therefore getting a load of rates & therefore £££.
Or am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 13:37

The minute you open it, it counts as a read anyway.
Back to top Go down
aoife74

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 17:47

Yeah but they don't get paid for reads.
Back to top Go down
crispy

crispy

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-06-15

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 18:03

Yeah they do - you get paid per member read, not rate
Back to top Go down
aoife74

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 20:02

Really! Coz with my 1st review I noticed that 5 members (& 3 non-members) had read the review but only 2 had rated & I had 60 pts.

Didn't know you got pts per reads, so if I click on the wrong review even for a split second, they'll get the pts?
Back to top Go down
aoife74

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 20:08

It kinda puts me off reading speakers corner reviews.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 21:49

Speakers Corner could be really interesting, but too many people are content to copy a couple of lines from The Sun which basically amounts to "the world isnt fair, but I can't be bothered to look into why?" and thinks that they have covered a debate. On Ciao you wouldnt be paid for such a review as the Cafe is unpaid but on dooyoo I really would expect more.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 21:57

steerpyke wrote:
Speakers Corner could be really interesting, but too many people are content to copy a couple of lines from The Sun which basically amounts to "the world isnt fair, but I can't be bothered to look into why?" and thinks that they have covered a debate. On Ciao you wouldnt be paid for such a review as the Cafe is unpaid but on dooyoo I really would expect more.
I agree, it could be interesting but some people do half-arsed reviews there. One on opinions isn't bad but Top Ten.... are boring-unless there are some different poeple in there etc and i only read them if they are in my COF. To be honest though-what could you change the writing system too?
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 22:48

I say abolish it. The reason is because it is steadily going the same way as Ciao, with no editorial control, and too much cr@p. Dooyoo are a more professional consumer site, more widely known to the outside world, and should stick to the knitting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
butters

butters

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 23:07

I completely agree. On ciao there is just random crap-you can write about everything. Some are interesting though but most are pointless and not interesting. I can see dooyoo doing that too
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 23:08

I wouldn't dismiss it altogether. It could be a very useful area for the public if contributions aided discussion.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 23:12

Nor me-what i was meant to say was that i'd rather abolish it than have it go the same way as ciao
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 23:14

I think that sorted out, it could provide a very useful area for the public to read up on things that matter.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 23:17

Yep. i have to admit that on ciao, i have read some funny but pointless reviews. But 1 in 100 isn't good.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 23:22

I think ciao and dooyoo are two different entities and should be treated as such. There are places for creative writing other than review sites.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyFri 16 Jun 2006, 02:27

Thingywhatsit wrote:
There are places for creative writing other than review sites.

Exactly. And as Dooyoo is fast becoming "my top ten reality TV show heroes" and "whats in my yellow purse in my ninth handbag which I only bring out on Wednesdays when it is Ladies who Lunch day" then just abolish the damn thing altogether! Dooyoo is not a damn debating society, join the Junior Chamber of Commerce if you want that!!!!!

At least with Ciao it is ring fenced!

( I do like decent debates btw, I am just in a foul mood!!!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
atticusuk

atticusuk

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyFri 16 Jun 2006, 10:58

aoife74 wrote:
It kinda puts me off reading speakers corner reviews.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Yep if you do not want someone to get paid don't click on the review, once you do then you may as well rate and if they get NU ratings then at least the review will go to the bottom of the list when someone searches on the category and ultimately may be deleted by Dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
aoife74

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptyFri 16 Jun 2006, 11:09

atticusuk wrote:
Yep if you do not want someone to get paid don't click on the review, once you do then you may as well rate and if they get NU ratings then at least the review will go to the bottom of the list when someone searches on the category and ultimately may be deleted by Dooyoo.

This is a good tip. Thanx!
Back to top Go down
anonymili

anonymili

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2006-03-01

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 11:31

atticusuk wrote:
aoife74 wrote:

I hope this isn't off topic but I've seen reviews that are mostly "SU" or "NU" still on the site months after they were written. Who makes the decision to delete reviews which have, say, received mostly "NU" ratings? Since I came back to dooyoo I don't read every single new review that has been written even if it's a category that interests me, there are just too many 5 line reviews with awful spelling and grammatical errors which I'm not prepared to click on to give the writer 3p for my read.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. EmptySun 09 Jul 2006, 12:10

It is up to the Dooyoo back office staff to clear out the NU rated reviews.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty
PostSubject: Re: SPEAKERS CORNER.   SPEAKERS CORNER. Empty

Back to top Go down

SPEAKERS CORNER.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next