www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Film reviews question

Go down 
+3
Thingywhatsit
The Polar One
Ailran
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ailran

Ailran

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2006-02-28

Film reviews question Empty
PostSubject: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 02:41

Just something that I was thinking about today at work while I was bored and writing up two recent film reviews for films I have seen...

Do people prefer to see reviews of films when they are in the cinema or when they come out on DVD?

I ask for two reasons...
1) I'm six months behind on my posting of film reviews, my next batch of ones will be from Oct last year as I just cannot keep up with posting all the ones I see
2) Seeing as Ciao only ever seem to put ££ next to films when they are close to coming out on DVd and often dont give any £ signs for current films I gave up even bothering to post them as soon as they came out, apart from the odd occasion anyway.

Jusr curious to see what others thought.
Back to top Go down
The Polar One

The Polar One

Number of posts : 130

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 04:01

No preference. The only time it may be worth posting while still in the cinema is for those films that are a heck of a lot better in the cinema, but usually those aren't the sort of films I care about anyway. And how would you be sure of that till the DVD came out anyway? Hmmm, that was a pointless thought.

Post when you prefer.
Back to top Go down
http://bearandbeyond.wordpress.com
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 10:44

I don't take my computer in the cinema !
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Essexgirl

Essexgirl

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyTue 06 Mar 2007, 17:33

I never get to go to the cinema as often as I like, so if I read a good review of a film at the cinema that doesn't mean I'll get round to seeing it whilst it is still in the cinemas, so it makes no difference to me.

I think that makes sense. I'd go for the ££ unless it is an exceptional film you must tell us about straight away.
Back to top Go down
anonymili

anonymili

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 00:03

I think I've been to the pictures twice in the last 2 years, ooh an average of once a year I guess? I don't even notice the £s anymore. To be frank reading a film review that said it was excellent, the best thing since sliced bread, etc, isn't likely to get me to go to the cinema at all, I just can't be bothered to go and pay £7.50 each when I can buy the DVD if I wait a bit longer or someone I know will buy it and I can borrow it. There are hardly any films I've seen that I've thought afterwards "AH should have watched this on the big screen!"
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 12:56

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I don't take my computer in the cinema !

That does explain quuite a lot then! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyWed 07 Mar 2007, 12:59

Ta for the answers, was pretty much what I thought they might be but wanted to get some sort of feedback to check.

I think I will stick to trying to keep up with reviews and just posting them as I can. I didnt think that many people would be worried about seeing a review to go and see something in the cinema... after all I doubt anyone goes as often as I do Smile
Back to top Go down
jesi

jesi

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2006-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptySun 18 Mar 2007, 22:00

If I want to know what to watch from what's available at the cinema (here in the Birmingham suburbs) I'll always check here on Ciao! to see if there is anything that would either put me off or encourage me to go to a particular film.

I tend to not go the first week a film is out, anyway, as we only go out to the cinema for special occasions unless there is something I want to see so bad that I can talk my husband into PLANNING the visit in advance.

At least if films are out in USA first, or someone like you sees them at a festival or premiere, I have some idea as to what I'm letting myself in for.
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyWed 21 Mar 2007, 12:41

Ah so now we have a vote for Cinema release reviews, if only I could write faster and/or could bring myself to be one of those churnersI might actually be able to keep upwith cinema releases to keep people infrmed Smile
Back to top Go down
jesi

jesi

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2006-02-14

PostSubject: Cinema release reviews!   Film reviews question EmptyThu 22 Mar 2007, 02:22

Ailran wrote:
Ah so now we have a vote for Cinema release reviews, if only I could write faster and/or could bring myself to be one of those churners I might actually be able to keep up with cinema releases to keep people informed Smile
Well, don't bother with the horror films, 'cause we're not likely to want to see those!

lol!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyThu 22 Mar 2007, 03:20

For what it is worth...

I think film reviews are time sensitive...so if you see something at the cinema, then get it posted in a timely manner

Personally....I dont go there a lot...(and if I do, it is either an exceptional title for me, or I have freebie tickets somehow and nothing else to do midweek - which we do get as hubby works in a major company next door to NG. Showcase...) BUT if I know there is a title I am interested in, then an early review is better.

But more importantly than that...our reviews are for the public at large, not the relatively small orange and green writing community

If I saw a film on an opening weekend, and I was half way good at writing film reviews(which I am not), then the review would be out that weekend. Six months later misses the boat totally, for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyThu 22 Mar 2007, 16:26

jesi wrote:
Ailran wrote:
Ah so now we have a vote for Cinema release reviews, if only I could write faster and/or could bring myself to be one of those churners I might actually be able to keep up with cinema releases to keep people informed Smile
Well, don't bother with the horror films, 'cause we're not likely to want to see those!

lol!

Seeing as i generally don't like horror movies then I think you're safe from reviews of most of them!
Back to top Go down
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyThu 22 Mar 2007, 16:28

helencbradshaw wrote:
For what it is worth...

I think film reviews are time sensitive...so if you see something at the cinema, then get it posted in a timely manner

If I saw a film on an opening weekend, and I was half way good at writing film reviews(which I am not), then the review would be out that weekend. Six months later misses the boat totally, for me.

I kind of agree with you, but the whole not paying for film reviews (or is it just cos I see unusual ones a lot?) puts me off even trying to get one out quickly.

I think that reviews 6 months down the line are ok as long as you can try to time it with the DVD release.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyThu 22 Mar 2007, 22:19

Oh don't they pay? Didn't know that. Shows how many I do.

Write them on time for t'other side then...!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ailran

Ailran

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question EmptyFri 23 Mar 2007, 14:09

Generally speaking it seems to me that a good 70% of the ones I have proposed have eith had no £ sign or just the one. Whereas if you wait till the DVD comes out they pretty much always have ££ next to them even for first opinion.

Aye I have been doing a lot of that, they are also a lot more open to enabling e to write about obscure foreign films than Ciao are.

next test will be to see who is best at accepting obscure crime b movies and 1940's serials Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film reviews question   Film reviews question Empty

Back to top Go down

Film reviews question
Page 1 of 1