www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Change In Planning laws

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Change In Planning laws Empty
PostSubject: Change In Planning laws   Change In Planning laws EmptyMon 21 May 2007, 22:26

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6675137.stm

Theres going to be a big shake up in planning laws. I hope this doesnt mean big schemes (runways/ motorways/ power stations/ wind farms) will be railroaded through against local peoples wishes.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Change In Planning laws   Change In Planning laws EmptyTue 22 May 2007, 12:27

WormThatTurned wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6675137.stm

Theres going to be a big shake up in planning laws. I hope this doesnt mean big schemes (runways/ motorways/ power stations/ wind farms) will be railroaded through against local peoples wishes.

I don't know the details yet but I think it might be a good thing.

I'm all in favour of people having an input and influence on planning decisions but the system in the UK means that projects become delayed and scuppered by endless legal appeal all too easily.

A good example locally where I live in the proposed new stadium for Brighton and Hove FC.

The saga has been going on for over 10 years. A planning enquiry was set up all possible sites were considered and the only viable site at Falmer was chosen. There was a local referendum that showed massive support for the scheme and the site. An appeal was lodged and the whole process had to be carried out again the same decision was reached and permission given, then on a legal technicality the whole process now has to be reviewed and we are awaiting a decision by the minister of state to say yes to the proposal or to initiate yet another planning enquiry which will look at all the options again.

The delay has cost the football club hundred of thousands of pounds as it is leasing its present ground and the opposition to the scheme is from a relatively small number of residents and certain members of a rival council who are trying to drag out the process as long as possible (with little or no prospect of an alternative venue being found) simply with the hope that constant delayes and ongoing costs will put the club out of business.

This is a misuse of the planning appeals procedure and should be changed. Once consultation has taken place and the planning committee has made a decision and any reasonable legal appeal have been made then it should stand. The present situation just lets lawyer make a fortune out of the endelss legal wrangles and cost the local taxpayers a fortune in funding it all.

In the end the stadium would benefit the whole community providing not only a home for the local team but sporting facilities for use by residents and the local universities.

Any changes that would make the application process quicker and less prone to NIMBYism would be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Change In Planning laws   Change In Planning laws EmptyTue 22 May 2007, 18:25

Im all for improving things and ironing out any unneccessary delays but the cynic in me suspects these changes could be used to railroad schemes through in an undemocratic way.

And I believe local people have a right to influence things that happen in their local areas. Maybe I've just become too cynical in old age Smile
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Change In Planning laws   Change In Planning laws EmptyWed 23 May 2007, 11:47

WormThatTurned wrote:
Im all for improving things and ironing out any unneccessary delays but the cynic in me suspects these changes could be used to railroad schemes through in an undemocratic way.

And I believe local people have a right to influence things that happen in their local areas. Maybe I've just become too cynical in old age Smile

Totally agree but there as to be a limit to how many times a project can be changed or re-submitted. Obviously the interest of everyone involved should be taken into account but we don't want a situation where a minority group can scupper a project using legal technicalities and thus oppose the will of the majority of local people. Otherwise the process does become undemocratic....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Change In Planning laws   Change In Planning laws Empty

Back to top Go down

Change In Planning laws
Page 1 of 1