www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Awful News Coveridge

Go down 
+3
butters
Ziggy!
atticusuk
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

Awful News Coveridge Empty
PostSubject: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySat 14 Jul 2007, 10:36

Watching the ITN news last night at 6.00 or 6.30 they were covering the awful triple murder in Manchester however what struck me was the fact tha firstly the link in the studio then the reporter at the scene repeatedly mentioned how beautiful the girl was who was murdred as if this somehow made the whole thing worse (she was very beautiful but that is hardly relevant to the story).

Her brother hardly got a mention neither did her mother other than to say that she was a nurse. Now I know they had TV footage of the girl which gave them an extra angle but her looks seemed to be very important to both the male reporters and it made me think how it is not surprising that we have a society obsessed on physical appearence when you get news reporting like that.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySat 14 Jul 2007, 11:50

I think on the same ITN google search they would have discovered that another man by the name of Pierre Williams, the number one suspect, was shot in Manchester in 1999 and refused to name the shooters. You would pressume this story is going to go bad and against the families 'good Chrisitan image' from now on in. I think ITN wanted to let us know we are all vulnerable, including sexy people- i.e scare the crap out of us again.
Back to top Go down
butters

butters

Number of posts : 975
Registration date : 2006-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySat 14 Jul 2007, 16:11

I saw and noticed the same. Though the coverage was appauling, focusing on the girl for the pure sake she was in Stars in their Eyes or something like that. In fact i think they focused more on the show than the actual murder. I was waiting to hear if they had caught/suspected anyone, and i they said it for a second right at the end, "police have some leads". Very basic.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySat 14 Jul 2007, 16:35

Ex boyfriend...drugs...
Sensationalizing the news is nothnig new. First we build up the victims, then knock them down. On that subject I would like to know why that black guy who firebombed Asian newsagents wasnt universally called a racist in the media...They setteld for religious zealot Exclamation
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySat 14 Jul 2007, 22:03

Mail labelled him as having severe mental problems and his targets were not just on race lines but he also planned to attack people based on gender and sexual orientation as well.

Great example of care in the community, good old Maggie she is still having an influence.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySun 15 Jul 2007, 04:34

But the white Soho bomber was labeled racist..
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyMon 16 Jul 2007, 00:43

I thought he was homophobic.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyTue 17 Jul 2007, 11:52

I think the Soho guy targeted race as well. The thing is the news is PC, headlined so not to offend.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyTue 17 Jul 2007, 16:07

Ziggy! wrote:
I think the Soho guy targeted race as well. The thing is the news is PC, headlined so not to offend.

The Soho bombings were anti-gay, they targeted a well known gay pub...
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyTue 17 Jul 2007, 18:06

I believe his name was David Crossland ??

He lived in the town I worked in at the time - Cove, Hampshire. Right weirdo/ loner.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyTue 17 Jul 2007, 18:10

David Copeland sorry. And I think Ziggy is right on this one Mauri - I remember it very well because the local press went to town on him - the bombs targeted race as well as the gay community. Im sure one of the bombs was in Brick Lane.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyWed 18 Jul 2007, 00:05

Mauri not correct shocker!

http://www.met.police.uk/news/stories/copeland/job/1.htm

My point is if the black guy kills Asians in the thier newsagents its not racist but if a white targets Asians it is. They are both racist attacks.
Isnt this kind of media and goverment attitude at the heart of the white working class frustration over race issues. This sort of attitude that ethnic minorites can do no wrong because its all to do with poverty or something else, never free will,is tedious and grating.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyWed 18 Jul 2007, 02:03

but that is more about crass media coverage than law...people need to consider what facts are being represented to them (by people with political agendas of their own usually...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyWed 18 Jul 2007, 11:43

If wedo make the opinion and assement most peple jump on top of you, like they do on dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyWed 18 Jul 2007, 12:20

Ziggy! wrote:
Mauri not correct shocker!

My point is if the black guy kills Asians in the thier newsagents its not racist but if a white targets Asians it is. They are both racist attacks.
Isnt this kind of media and goverment attitude at the heart of the white working class frustration over race issues. This sort of attitude that ethnic minorites can do no wrong because its all to do with poverty or something else, never free will,is tedious and grating.

I think I said that the Soho bombs were Anti gay which they were, I never mentioned the Brixton or Brick Lane bombs...

Yes, the guy was a Right wing extremists and they seem to hate almost everyone.

I don't agree with what you say Phil (what a surprise), I've heard reports of violnece by Black and Asian Gangs being referred to as race attacks... I think the probelm most of the tiem lies with the coverage of the events by the media rather than any attitude of the authorities....

And people on Dooyoo only 'jump' on you if you make statments that need justifying
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyWed 18 Jul 2007, 20:30

think I said that the Soho bombs were Anti gay which they were, I never mentioned the Brixton or Brick Lane bombs...

He wiggles out of it like Blair.lol
Back to top Go down
Mauri

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyFri 20 Jul 2007, 16:59

Ziggy! wrote:
think I said that the Soho bombs were Anti gay which they were, I never mentioned the Brixton or Brick Lane bombs...

He wiggles out of it like Blair.lol

Now who doesn't like been proved wrong... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyFri 20 Jul 2007, 20:26

well he was CONVICTED as a racist bomber.The other guy wasnt.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySat 21 Jul 2007, 22:25

Apparently we are expected to believe that two people were intelligent enough to forge a school letter but not bright enough to realise they were carrying drugs.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptySun 22 Jul 2007, 04:28

Parents put em up to it.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 00:14

I heard it was the Triads.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 00:15

People from Trinidad?
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 00:20

No Triadainistan, former soviet republic near where Borat is from.
Back to top Go down
Ciao's Favourite Member

Number of posts : 1075
Registration date : 2006-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 00:20

Verrrry niiiiice.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge EmptyMon 23 Jul 2007, 12:21

Yashamak! You like the sexy time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awful News Coveridge   Awful News Coveridge Empty

Back to top Go down

Awful News Coveridge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next