www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.

Go down 
+5
sugarnspice
James564
COOOEEE
TheHairyGodmother
Thingywhatsit
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. Empty
PostSubject: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyFri 07 Apr 2006, 23:09

How do members feel about reviews being deleted without the knowledge of the writer, or any reason being given to that writer as to why ? Not interested in specifics, but want to know members thoughts in general.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
TheHairyGodmother

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: I Agree   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySat 08 Apr 2006, 00:04

I think having reviews deleted without any explanation as to why is an utter disgrace. A lot of people spend a lot of time writing reviews, and to have these reviews removed without even the common courtesy of an explantion does not bear thinking about. I once had a review removed but had no explanation from Ciao as to why so I know how it feels. If reviews continue to be removed without explanation, members will start to feel that writing is a waste of time, and this cannot be of any benefit to Ciao surely?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySat 08 Apr 2006, 00:06

Not to their credibility at least. I actually want figures and facts but not on the board. if you can message details of any review you had removed do so in private, but I am trying to see how widespread the deletions are.
Back to top Go down
COOOEEE

COOOEEE

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 02:20

They recently deleted all the reviews for a sweet clicking internet company because they were all negative and the company complained. ---http://www.ciao.co.uk/Sweet_Collect__5628275
Back to top Go down
COOOEEE

COOOEEE

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 02:21

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Not to their credibility at least. I actually want figures and facts but not on the board. if you can message details of any review you had removed do so in private, but I am trying to see how widespread the deletions are.

Why keep this quiet and private ? It stinks
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 10:36

We know about that one. The ones we want to know about are the ones that were removed other than that because there are probably members that had reviews taken off that we don't know about.
Back to top Go down
James564

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 15:46

We never seem to get told about anything being removed anymore..

One of my reviews dissapeared a few months ago and i don't know why.

Also ive been kicked out of 3 peoples CoTs without being told.. the annoyance Evil or Very Mad

Why does no-one tell you anything on Ciao?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 15:47

I need to know what review. Can you message me details please James. Also cots have nothing to do with the subject here at all and if someone leaves or cot dumps you, that's a thing between members and nothing to do with ciao management at all.
Back to top Go down
James564

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 15:51

I know its nothing to do with reviews but its the same sort of thing..

I don't have any of the details for the review handy but i'll go on a hunt and report back if i get anything.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 15:53

You must remember what it was on. Only consumer reviews are of interest at the moment, because we are trying to establish if censorship is being done on the quiet.
Back to top Go down
James564

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 15:57

Oh right. No this was a café review.. one of those question and answer things..
Back to top Go down
sugarnspice

sugarnspice

Number of posts : 152

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 16:50

A Tesco review was deleted a while back.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptySun 09 Apr 2006, 16:53

Do you remember whose it was ? If so message so we can gather information.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyMon 10 Apr 2006, 16:41

I have been thinking about this most of the afternoon and sort of worded an email in my mind but would like some input from members, particularly Claire because of her legal experience.

Dear Ciao,

Members are concerned that reviews are being removed from the ciao database simply because they do not express views which are positive. The idea of ciao is that the consumer gets a chance to give their version of what services offer a potential customer. You also have disclaimers on the site saying that this is the view of the writer, and not that of ciao.

Is it not questioning the honesty and integrity of ciao members to remove reviews without consultation with the member concerned, asking, if necessary, proof that backs up their claims rather than remove reviews which are truthful ?

Can anyone add anything or help with the wording ?
Back to top Go down
CareBear

CareBear

Number of posts : 135

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyMon 10 Apr 2006, 17:11

OK - I'll reply here cos I can do so from work. I'll copy the response to Opinionators tonight (unless someone wants to do that for me - I can't log in to post at work).

Our defamation laws are built on the premise of truth
and fair comment. Thus one is far less likely to run into trouble if
one writes that "my experience is [this], as can be seen by [that]"
being careful to ensure that the circumstances are fairly and fully
reported.

I should like to think that, as a consumer resource, members were able to post reviews that are less than favourable without fear that they will be censored. Having said that, I think it is even more important, when writing a negative review, that the claims made are substantiated.

Review sites have a problem here - it's easier, often, to bow to pressure from the aggrieved subject of the review and remove the review than it is to check the facts. DooYoo/Ciao could also be guilty of defamation being the legal "publisher" of the review, were to it be untrue. It doesn't really matter that there is a disclaimer. They are on notice that the subject of the review is not happy and so they need to do something. Locking the review whilst they investigate would seem the logical thing to do.

As a true consumer resource I should like to see the sites tackle this and, on the basis that the member confirms (with evidence) their position, the review should stay. Evidence need not be hard to find, it's a question of degree.

Rachel, your email looks fine to me - there's little need to get "legal" with Ciao as it is a complex area where they will feel under pressure. They are also a foreign company and so will be getting legal advice in this area (one would hope) and the day to day staffer's will not feel comfortable discussing law, as opposed to practice.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyMon 10 Apr 2006, 17:14

Thanks Claire, I have cross posted it for you.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 20 Apr 2006, 11:45

Hello Rachel,

Thank you for your comments. We will reply to this member and inform her why her account was closed and review removed. The company has also been removed from the site. Nevertheless, we are within our rights to remove reviews or content in the reviews if we consider the information within the review to be inappropriate and or slanderous/libellous.

We appreciate your concern and intervention on this member's behalf. We are also within our rights to revoke membership if we consider the member's activity in the community to be negative influence. Please know that we are fully aware of the bad press that can be potentially generated from removing reviews and membership. However, while Ciao is an open forum for swapping opinions, it is not in our interests to allow the site become a forum for open vendetta and libellous remarks.

Regards,

Jess

Not sure I agree with them here, but at least the dreaded sweet company has been deleted from their database.
Back to top Go down
sugarnspice

sugarnspice

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 20 Apr 2006, 13:45

Thingywhatsit wrote:
it is not in our interests to allow the site become a forum for open vendetta

It's bang out of order for them to keep saying that. It was a negative review, not a bleeding vendetta.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 20 Apr 2006, 13:47

Yes, I thought so too. Good that they have booted that firm off the site though. Looks like they may have taken notice in one way but not respecting members views is a dangerous precendent.
Back to top Go down
sugarnspice

sugarnspice

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 20 Apr 2006, 13:53

I've put the review on a blog site along with a couple of other things so it's not like they've made it disappear forever anyway. If there's anyone I may have a vendetta against it would be Ciao after the way they've treated me.
Back to top Go down
anonymili

anonymili

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 20 Apr 2006, 23:35

Ho hum, I'm rather behind on the news at the moment! I was wondering what had happened to that sweet company that shall remain unnamed! Didn't realise they'd been deleted off the site, I thought I was going mad and spelling it wrong or something.

As for Ciao deleting reviews without telling people, what is all that about? I guess they wouldn't care to share their reasons with other members if they questioned a review of specific member getting deleted but from their point of view they'd probably say it was between "them" and the member concerned (or mind your own business)... Quite shabby behaviour as far as I can see!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyFri 21 Apr 2006, 07:43

I shall ask them Millie. Good point.
Back to top Go down
lauricha

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2006-05-16

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 18 May 2006, 15:42

I dont know if this is still a subject of study, but I once wrote a review on a Hairdressing salon that overcharged by £30 and made my hair look terrible, I recieved this from Ciao about 3 days after it had been removed:

"Hello,

I am writing to let you know that we have removed your review on XXXXXXX after having received a complaint from that company. In order to avoidpossible legal problems, we have decided that it is better to comply withtheir request and take the review offline because your review potentiallydefames thiscompany."

I emailed back and said that I would have preffered them to let me know so that I could have edited the point in my review that were infringing their legal rights and they didnt reply.

It annoyed me firstly as it was my 1st ever review and I lost so many points and pounds that it took about 3 reviews worth of points and money to get back where I was!

Is there any way they can INFORM the member before going ahead and removing them?

I save all my reviews from now on so that if they do have a prblem I can repost it with the necessary revisions! Wink
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 18 May 2006, 20:35

If people were threatening you with legal action, what would you do?

Hi BTW
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. EmptyThu 18 May 2006, 20:38

Actually I believe that people are entitled to write negative reviews, but that in doing so, they should always stick to facts backed up with proof if ciao ask for it. Not letting negative reviews appear seems a little off, such as the sweet site ones. It's actually stopping people from writing what is true and censorship.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.   HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS. Empty

Back to top Go down

HAVING REVIEWS DELETED WITHOUT TELLING MEMBERS.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next