www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GUIDES AND CROWNS

Go down 
+2
Mauri
Thingywhatsit
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 11:47

How much influence do you think that Guides have on crowns ? I have had this conversation with a guide that says that they have no influence and that dooyoo award crowns. Whilst I accept that dooyoo award the crowns, surely the guide input is looked at seriously. What do members think ? This is not a conspiracy theory, just a question. I have no axe to grind, but believe the crowns on dooyoo to be fair and reasonable.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 14:19

Thingywhatsit wrote:
How much influence do you think that Guides have on crowns ? I have had this conversation with a guide that says that they have no influence and that dooyoo award crowns. Whilst I accept that dooyoo award the crowns, surely the guide input is looked at seriously. What do members think ? This is not a conspiracy theory, just a question. I have no axe to grind, but believe the crowns on dooyoo to be fair and reasonable.

This is an ongoing concern for some...

In theory the guides have no influnce on crowns awards. Yes they do highlight reviews to dooyoo that they feel are worth considering fro crowns but non guide member nomination is also taken into account and when I was a guide some reviews NOT nominated by me would get crowned and some nominated by me would not.

So far so good but the danger is if Dooyoo staff are too busy to look through all the reviews nominated by guides and members then the nomination by guide epsecially become equivalent to a crown award, I'm not saying this is the situation but this is a possible danger and if that were to happen I think the guides would be getting too much power.

We shouldn't have 'automatic' crown awards based purely on the recommendation of the guides or the number of nominations by members.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 14:24

I had it argued that it was not the case and was told that some reviews nominated by guides do not get crowned. I believe that, as perhaps amongst all the guide nominations, some months there are too many. The question mark that I have here is that if dooyoo don't listen to guide nominations to a larger degree than member nominations, why bother having guides if you are not going to trust their judgement ? But where is the dividing line between what members nominate and what guides nominate drawn ? That is the worrying one for me.
Back to top Go down
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 14:47

Occasionaly Reviews that I have nominated have not got crowns while ones I have not have!

It is down to Dooyoo in the end.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:08

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I had it argued that it was not the case and was told that some reviews nominated by guides do not get crowned. I believe that, as perhaps amongst all the guide nominations, some months there are too many. The question mark that I have here is that if dooyoo don't listen to guide nominations to a larger degree than member nominations, why bother having guides if you are not going to trust their judgement ? But where is the dividing line between what members nominate and what guides nominate drawn ? That is the worrying one for me.

I think the idea of guides is for them to have designated sections that they keep an eye on and bring to the attention of dooyoo any reviews that they feel might be suitable for crowning, if this function was left to members alone then there might be some reviews in less 'popular' categories that don't get picked up.

Guides are not particualary picked for their ability to spot crownworthy reviews any better than other members but simply represent a more efficient way for Dooyoo to pick up all the crownworthy review to consider.

I think there is a perception (maybe even amongst some guides) that the guides opinion of what is crownworthy is better than the other members this is not necessarily true. Yes it is true to say that guides are usually experienced members that have written plenty of crownworthy reviews themselves and so should know a bit about the process but in the end they have their own subjective opinions and it is important to have as much input from ALL members as possible through nominations.

The only line that can be drawn between guide nominations and some other nominations is that you would expect guides to be consistent in their nominations abiding by certain criteria whereas other nominataion will vary and many will nominate unsuitable reviews for crowning possibly not understading the criteria looked for by dooyoo or for other reasons. This is partly why a minimum number of non guide nominations has to be received for a non guide nominated review to be considered for crowning.

If Dooyoo were to change their approach over this and give the guides opinion more importance or even a fianl say over crwoning reviews then it would be essential to have a regular rotation of guides to ensure some degree of fairness and prevent guides from getting too much power over the process.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:11

There have been several occasions in categories I guided (particularly Audio.hi-fi were in my own opinion few reviews were crownworthy) were crowns were given when I did not nominate them. My concern is that when there is not a Guide for a particular category (I think Motors was vacant for a bit) then crownworthy reviews are ignored by dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
badcompa

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:19

tractor-boy wrote:
Occasionaly Reviews that I have nominated have not got crowns while ones I have not have!

It is down to Dooyoo in the end.

It really is down to Dooyoo when all is said and done. A Guide can really only nominate and then leave the decision to Dooyoo. It really is as simple as that...
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:20

Quote :
If Dooyoo were to change their approach over this and give the guides opinion more importance or even a fianl say over crwoning reviews then it would be essential to have a regular rotation of guides to ensure some degree of fairness and prevent guides from getting too much power over the process.

I hear conspiracy theory being mumbled, but it isn't really. You say guides opinion isn't necessarily important, and yet I have in mind that a review has to have a guide nomination to be considered. Am I wrong ? The grey cells don't work as good as they used to, or was it that a guide can only get a crown if nominated by members ? Totally baffled.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:25

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Quote :

I hear conspiracy theory being mumbled, but it isn't really. You say guides opinion isn't necessarily important, and yet I have in mind that a review has to have a guide nomination to be considered. Am I wrong ? The grey cells don't work as good as they used to, or was it that a guide can only get a crown if nominated by members ? Totally baffled.

No conspiracy theory...

yes and no to what you said.

Reviews DO NOT need guide noms to be crowned.

but

Reviews written by guides DO need non-guide nominations to be crowned.

this is why in theory reviews written by guide will find it a little more difficult to be crowned
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:30

Quote :
Reviews DO NOT need guide noms to be crowned.

But you do have to admit Maurie that the guides have a separate panel to nominate in and that their nominations are received separately by dooyoo. Surely on a busy day, dooyoo would opt to chose those reviews over others and trust their guides to be right, deducting some dependent upon how many crowns are being awarded per week.
Back to top Go down
badcompa

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:31

To be recommended for a crown you only need to be nominated so I really see how a guide would find it harder to get a crown. He or she only would need one monination to be considered... As for this word Conspiracy, oh pleaseeeee !!!!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:33

Love that word art.
Quote :
monination

Think it merits being word of the day.
Back to top Go down
badcompa

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:35

Opppps but cheers for the word of the day, think I will go and Mominate your latest Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:36

Don't bother, they won't take any notice. You are not a guide. LOL
Back to top Go down
badcompa

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:41

Thingywhatsit wrote:

Guide is a word that covers many aspects...I guided this old lady across the road this morning so in that way I am a guide...Or someone phoned in asking where our premises are and I guided them in..So I could be regarded as a guide. ................... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:41

Well he missed the Nh one last month LOL
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyWed 14 Jun 2006, 15:43

Quote :
Guide is a word that covers many aspects...I guided this old lady across the road this morning so in that way I am a guide...Or someone phoned in asking where our premises are and I guided them in..So I could be regarded as a guide. ...................

Dangerous territory. affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Mauri

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 11:23

badcompany77 wrote:
To be recommended for a crown you only need to be nominated so I really see how a guide would find it harder to get a crown. He or she only would need one monination to be considered... As for this word Conspiracy, oh pleaseeeee !!!!

NO. this is not the case.

For a review by a non guide to be considered for a crown it has to receive EITHER a guide nomination OR nominations by other members (four minimum).

BUT for a review written by a guide to be considered a nomination by a guide is NOT enough. They also have to receive AT LEAST one nomination by a non guide member... so in practice getting a crown for guides is slightly harder or at least requires non guide nominations which in the less active categories could be harder to get.

This was introduced by Dooyoo to stop the perception (not true) that the guides were simply nominating themselves for all the crowns and I think this rule is welcomed by all the guides certainly when I was guiding.
Back to top Go down
steerpyke

steerpyke

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2006-03-05

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 11:30

Some people interperate the situation as because we are guides we automatically get more crowns by association (certainly not true in my case). Maybe it should be looked at that the pool of people who tend to get crowns on a regular basis will tend to be the more suitable sort of person to fill the role of guide.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Mauri

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 11:55

steerpyke wrote:
Some people interperate the situation as because we are guides we automatically get more crowns by association (certainly not true in my case). Maybe it should be looked at that the pool of people who tend to get crowns on a regular basis will tend to be the more suitable sort of person to fill the role of guide.

This is part of the conditions for being a guide (or used to be) you had to have had a certain proportion of crowns for the reviews you had written.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyThu 15 Jun 2006, 13:33

Quote :
Maybe it should be looked at that the pool of people who tend to get crowns on a regular basis will tend to be the more suitable sort of person to fill the role of guide.

Tell dooyoo that !
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS EmptyFri 16 Jun 2006, 10:53

badcompany77 wrote:
Thingywhatsit wrote:

Guide is a word that covers many aspects...I guided this old lady across the road this morning so in that way I am a guide...Or someone phoned in asking where our premises are and I guided them in..So I could be regarded as a guide. ................... Twisted Evil

Plus the fact that there are those pictures of you on the net dressed as a girl guide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: GUIDES AND CROWNS   GUIDES AND CROWNS Empty

Back to top Go down

GUIDES AND CROWNS
Page 1 of 1