www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CROWNS

Go down 
+8
dididave
tractor-boy
Angus
plipplop
helencbradshaw
atticusuk
Mauri
Thingywhatsit
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyWed 21 Jun 2006, 11:08

Somebody said that you could get crowns on older reviews. I am wondering about this because does dooyoo total all the nominations from previous weeks as well ? If for example you have about 6 people say they have nominated and then you don't get one, what are the chances of a crown in weeks to come ? or does the nomination have to come from the guide of the area in question ? Just a query.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyWed 21 Jun 2006, 11:24

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Somebody said that you could get crowns on older reviews. I am wondering about this because does dooyoo total all the nominations from previous weeks as well ? If for example you have about 6 people say they have nominated and then you don't get one, what are the chances of a crown in weeks to come ? or does the nomination have to come from the guide of the area in question ? Just a query.

I suspect that for older reviews a guide nomination is needed or at least the guide has to flag up the review to dooyoo for consideration.

When I was guiding I had on occasion people contact me saying that an older review of their had been 'overlooked' for crowns and asked me if I could take another look. On some occasions I did include some of these older review in my weekly nominations to Dooyoo.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyWed 21 Jun 2006, 16:08

Any idea Mauri of how many nominations equate to a crown ?
Back to top Go down
Turtlewi

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyWed 21 Jun 2006, 19:41

I'm not sure that's the sort of thing, Dooyoo would want being public knowledge. After all, then unscrupulous reviewers could get their mates to go round nominating past reviews they felt were overlooked.

Not that anyone here would ever do that.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyWed 21 Jun 2006, 20:09

I see what you mean and it was not intended like that. Sorry if it was misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyWed 21 Jun 2006, 20:15

I know that Sebastion used to apply a minium number of nominations needed before he would look at a review but that was during a period when a lot of new members from a certain other review site were busy nominating everything and the % of reviews getting nominated was ridiculously high.

The current Dooyoo staff have led me to believe that they no longer follow that process and that any review that gets nominated appears on their spreadsheet no matter the age of it. I remember getting a crown out of nowhere for a review I wrote a month before and I could not see from the previous ratings that a guide had nominated it as the only rating that previous week was from a non guide.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyThu 22 Jun 2006, 12:32

atticusuk wrote:
I know that Sebastion used to apply a minium number of nominations needed before he would look at a review but that was during a period when a lot of new members from a certain other review site were busy nominating everything and the % of reviews getting nominated was ridiculously high.

The current Dooyoo staff have led me to believe that they no longer follow that process and that any review that gets nominated appears on their spreadsheet no matter the age of it. I remember getting a crown out of nowhere for a review I wrote a month before and I could not see from the previous ratings that a guide had nominated it as the only rating that previous week was from a non guide.

Well I didn't know that the system had changed, maybe Dooyoo should be a little more proactive in keeping the members informed.

The bottom line is that if you feel you have a crownworthy review that you think has been overlooked or that you have improved to make it crownworthy it does no harm to contact the relevant guide and ask them to take another look. This will not guarantee a nomination or a crown but you never know. king
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyThu 22 Jun 2006, 13:09

It was curiosity more than anything here, because sometimes, you get crowns on what you see as not your best reviews, and I know other members have felt that too, and get ones on reviews that perhaps are not that wonderful. Just wondered how it worked. I could remember some mention of numbers on a posting way back saying that so many member nominations and so many guide nominations were needed and that they had fixed a figure on the member ones because of over nomination.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyFri 23 Jun 2006, 20:32

I have never had a crown for anything other than a review which was written in between "crowning" sessions.

I've had about 50+ too, maybe it's just coincidence, but I perceive they have to be recent reviews.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 00:06

I think that the support team reviews all nominations received - it's just a question of whether the guide goes back and nominates something older i think.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 00:08

Quote :
I think that the support team reviews all nominations received - it's just a question of whether the guide goes back and nominates something older i think.

But doesn't this give guides rather a lot of power ?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 00:14

Quote :
I think that the support team reviews all nominations received - it's just a question of whether the GUIDE goes back and nominates something older i think.

It wasn't a conspiracy theory here. I was asking based on a ex guides posting. Thanks for clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
plipplop

plipplop

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2006-04-25

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 09:36

Actually, I would disagree with Debbie. I doubt they'd go back and look at all member nominations. I'm quite sure that they would only review a guide's nomination.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:08

They do only review guide nominations as proven in the past.

On the odd occasion that a review gets lots of nominations and is not put forward by a guide, it may get a crown but it is unlikely.

Anyone telling you different is kidding themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:13

Quote :
Actually, I would disagree with Debbie. I doubt they'd go back and look at all member nominations. I'm quite sure that they would only review a guide's nomination.

Then that doesn't seem totally fair to me. I am not referring just to reviews of my own, but of others too. I have read old reviews that were never crowned that I feel are crownworthy and others that were crowned that perhaps are not the best that that writer produces. Others have mentioned that reviews they expected to get crowns didn't get them but that mediocre ones do. If selection is only by the guide in question, that puts an awful lot of power in an individual's hands who perhaps can't be bothered to read old stuff. I read old stuff sometimes because someone reads me, and I have already read their newer stuff, and it's a bit like walking into the archives on ciao and reading what people used to write. Some of it is amazing and leaves question marks as to why they were never nominated.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:18

reviews were sometimes overlooked due to the guides personal like/dislike of the person and that is a fact.

It also is a fact of life and if you upset people or make waves, then you have to live with the consequences, fair or not.

Seems sucking up to people is the easiest way to get crowns though.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:21

Quote :
Seems sucking up to people is the easiest way to get crowns though.

Not sure that is completely true Angus. I have my fair share of crowns but not usually on what I consider to be the best reviews. I still feel, although I am told constantly that I am wrong, that if the guide in question does not like your review (or your personality), then you don't get the crowns. It's almost like writing for a fiction editor. One story will please them, one won't and just a case of finding out what that particular editor likes.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:28

Maybe but think of all the crowns you miss out on, plus all that sugar is not good for your crowns either.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:29

Okay, here is a question. If an old review needs a guide nomination to be considered seriously, does that mean only the guide that guides that area ? If that is the case, could members approach guides where they believe that a review should have been nominated and ask what the guide thinks ?
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 10:41

Not sure actually whether it has to be the guide whose category it is in or just any guide. As a guide you do get a feedback button that can be used for nominations which I tnd to use for reviews in my category. If the review is not in my category but I still think it is worth a crown then I use the normal nominate button that all members can use. I'm not sure though how it then appears at the other end.

I definately do think that people should feel free to contact a guide if they believe the guide has not read their review in the category they cover, I know my about me invites people to do that.
Back to top Go down
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 15:13

Thingywhatsit wrote:
Okay, here is a question. If an old review needs a guide nomination to be considered seriously, does that mean only the guide that guides that area ? If that is the case, could members approach guides where they believe that a review should have been nominated and ask what the guide thinks ?

I'd certainly have no problem with that - I am trying to go back and read older reviews in my cats, and if I find one that i feel is crown worthy I will nominate it.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 15:50

tractor-boy wrote:
Thingywhatsit wrote:

I'd certainly have no problem with that - I am trying to go back and read older reviews in my cats, and if I find one that i feel is crown worthy I will nominate it.

I would think that would be fine providing all the members were doing is asking and not expecting reviews that were looked at to be crowned.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyMon 26 Jun 2006, 15:58

It was a general question, because of looking at old reviews when perhaps guides were not as active as they are now, or in areas that do not seem to have guides really. There are loads of really good reviews out there that never got crowns and my question was really following a thing that matty posted about there being no time limit to crowning reviews.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyTue 27 Jun 2006, 12:30

atticusuk wrote:
Not sure actually whether it has to be the guide whose category it is in or just any guide. As a guide you do get a feedback button that can be used for nominations which I tnd to use for reviews in my category. If the review is not in my category but I still think it is worth a crown then I use the normal nominate button that all members can use. I'm not sure though how it then appears at the other end.

I definately do think that people should feel free to contact a guide if they believe the guide has not read their review in the category they cover, I know my about me invites people to do that.

Sorry, who are you on Dooyoo I've lost track now scratch
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

CROWNS Empty
PostSubject: Re: CROWNS   CROWNS EmptyTue 27 Jun 2006, 13:13

Atticusuk is Freediveheaven.

EDITED. YOU KNOW BETTER THAN THAT.
Back to top Go down