www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

St Georges day holiday

Go down 
+7
Ziggy!
Sam_Garland
helencbradshaw
spoilt_little_brat
drewboy
Mauri
WormThatTurned
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

St Georges day holiday - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 18:24

WormThatTurned wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
You didn't explain why its important.

I believe this country is a fantastic country. I am proud to be an Englishmen. I think a national holiday on our national day is a great opportunity for people to celebrate our country.

but HOW do you propose to celebrate it?

Do you want to link this in with the other topic of binge drinking and see us all hit the streets in daft hats and get stupidly drunk like the Irish? Because you condemn that behaviour on another thread..
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 18:28

No.

You can celebrate without getting blind drunk, funnily enough.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 18:34

Tell that to most people I see out and about on St George's Day.

So if not that then what?

PLEASE - for the third time of asking what terribly important ways of celebrating do you want a national holiday for?
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 19:58

fizzywizzy wrote:

For goodness sake Fizzy, stop repeating the question. I'm not English but it's bloody obvious how you would go about celebrating it without getting blind drunk.
For example - parades, fairs, English-based charity organisations, speech from the prime minister, displays which show English heritage, services and parties which take in the multi-cultural aspects of the country - the list could go on. You'd celebrate it the same way everyone else celebrates their national day.
The number of people that get drunk doing it is a small minority.
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 20:20

What would you do and wear to celebrate? Please dont mention Morris Dancing...
Back to top Go down
Sam_Garland

Sam_Garland

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2006-06-24

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 20:32

What? What has 'what would you wear' got to do with deciding if it's a good idea or not? I wouldn't do anything to celebrate. England's not my country - but I've mentioned things above that I would be part of, if it was.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 21:47

WormThatTurned wrote:

I'd like to think St Georges Day could evolve up and down the land as a mass community event - festivals/ galas/ street parties/ floats etc etc and i'd like to think all English citizens would be involved regardless of age, race or culture. Everyone could bring something to the table. And personally Mauri I'd like to spend St Georges Day participating and celebrating.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 23:31

I would think my village would put on a show.

We have the East Bridgford show already...which lasts a week...all kinds of activity and not all alcohol related..
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 23:43

Sam_Garland wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:

For goodness sake Fizzy, stop repeating the question. I'm not English but it's bloody obvious how you would go about celebrating it without getting blind drunk.
For example - parades, fairs, English-based charity organisations, speech from the prime minister, displays which show English heritage, services and parties which take in the multi-cultural aspects of the country - the list could go on. You'd celebrate it the same way everyone else celebrates their national day.
The number of people that get drunk doing it is a small minority.

But we already do all those things. That is why I repeated the question - I wasn't hearing anything new being added to what already goes on in this country without it having to be a holiday.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 23:50

Nothings done on St Georges Day round here or where I used to live - in fact I bet a lot of people don't even know when it is.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Jun 2007, 23:52

but...we dont DO anything on May Day...(in fact that holiday has some negative aspects to it does it not) a few fools might sit in traffic, but we dont do anything of any mention..

Contrast that with Australia Day...or 4th July...fireworks, parties, barbies etc...
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 00:00

Good point on May Day. And how may dads who take paternity leave actually help mum with the kids! I think when u start to need to know your identity your on the slippery slope.

Last edited by on Tue 12 Jun 2007, 00:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 00:02

Ziggy! wrote:
And how may dads who take maternity leave ...

None I hope...unless there is a part of Medical science I have missed...!!!
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 00:08

Paternity leave;>
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 00:26

well, thankfully most of the Guys I know who have taken paternity leave (or are about too...my boss's wife had baby today...colleague having baby by C on Thu...ARE very involved...

Not quite sure of the link between that and St George's Day however..are more english babies born on st George's day than any other day? Laughing
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 00:42

Ziggy! wrote:
. And how may dads who take paternity leave actually help mum with the kids! .

What has that got to do with anythng??

From all the dad's I have ever known to take paternity leave they have always taken the time off to help the mum and get to know the baby.

Thats what Wormy's intention is anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 01:24

I just think that you can't make people feel more "English" and you can't construct an identity that doesn't really exist. I am perfectly comfortable with my concept of who I am (incidentally I feel European first, British second, English third) and I don't see how a Bank Holiday can make us all get along any better.

The idea is quite a noble one but the reality is that it will be hi-jacked by those wishing to push nationalist or racist agendas rather than a celebration of all the cultures that co-exist here.

That said, I don't want another Bank Holiday at that time of year. Give me one in October instead. I'm off to look up an excuse for a holiday in the autumn sometime...
Back to top Go down
Ziggy!

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 12:11

My point is will people actually celebrate Britain Day, or will they pi** off to the contient for a long weekend in Brussels. There is NO reason to be celebrating Britishness as it will only encourage racism in some form in the UK...Will you be inviting,say.. Somalis to your bash! And if so whats the point. After a few beers I can only imagine a couple of conversations had at these getherings.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 13:07

Ziggy! wrote:
My point is will people actually celebrate Britain Day, or will they pi** off to the contient for a long weekend in Brussels. There is NO reason to be celebrating Britishness as it will only encourage racism in some form in the UK...Will you be inviting,say.. Somalis to your bash! And if so whats the point. After a few beers I can only imagine a couple of conversations had at these getherings.

People have such different views as to what "Britishness" is. It wil probably be very different in inner city areas to rural villages.

I would be interested to know what people think "Britishness" is.

I would say tutting, a fondness for queuing and an amazing capacity to watch television for mammoth amounts of time while moaning that there is nothing worth watching.
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 14:54

fizzywizzy wrote:
Ziggy! wrote:

People have such different views as to what "Britishness" is. It wil probably be very different in inner city areas to rural villages.

I would say tutting, a fondness for queuing and an amazing capacity to watch television for mammoth amounts of time while moaning that there is nothing worth watching.

In my opinion Britishness is not race specific. I lived the early part of my life in Italy and all my family is Italian although I've lived in Engalnd for the majority of my life I don't consider myself English but while I still have strong attachments to my Italian origins, I can see myself as British.

I see Britishness as a much more inclusive label that people from all backgrounds who are born here or who have decided to live here can feel a sense of belonging to. I think people from an ethnic background would be more prepared to see themsleves as 'British' (british muslim, British Jew, British Chinese, British West Indian rather than English etc). I think this is largely to do with the rightly or wrongly perceived exclusivity of Englishness to the 'white anglo saxons'.

What would you celebrate on a Britain day? Well in Britain although we have made our fair share of mistakes in the past we can still be proud of many achievement in the arts music, culture in general. Sport, Literature science etc. whicn could be highlighted on such a day. Other countries have also had many achivements in these fields so it's not an exclusive celebration of British achivements, we are not saying that we are the best but or highlighting differences between people but simply celebrating things that we can be proud of.

For me that could work and it could create a sense of belonging for all the different ethnic groups that make up modern Britain. Whereas celebrating Englishness I don't think would have the same effect.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 15:06

Mauri wrote:
fizzywizzy wrote:
Ziggy! wrote:

In my opinion Britishness is not race specific. I lived the early part of my life in Italy and all my family is Italian although I've lived in Engalnd for the majority of my life I don't consider myself English but while I still have strong attachments to my Italian origins, I can see myself as British.

I see Britishness as a much more inclusive label that people from all backgrounds who are born here or who have decided to live here can feel a sense of belonging to. I think people from an ethnic background would be more prepared to see themsleves as 'British' (british muslim, British Jew, British Chinese, British West Indian rather than English etc). I think this is largely to do with the rightly or wrongly perceived exclusivity of Englishness to the 'white anglo saxons'.

What would you celebrate on a Britain day? Well in Britain although we have made our fair share of mistakes in the past we can still be proud of many achievement in the arts music, culture in general. Sport, Literature science etc. whicn could be highlighted on such a day. Other countries have also had many achivements in these fields so it's not an exclusive celebration of British achivements, we are not saying that we are the best but or highlighting differences between people but simply celebrating things that we can be proud of.

For me that could work and it could create a sense of belonging for all the different ethnic groups that make up modern Britain. Whereas celebrating Englishness I don't think would have the same effect.

That's certainly the best answer I have heard but I am still not convinced. I think we are pretty good already at celebrating British achievement and I'm not sure we need a day dedicated to it. Which is more Scottish - Burns night or St Andrews Day? Which to you sums up the attitude and spirit of the Welsh more - St Davids Day or hearing the chorus of Welsh rubgy supporters at the Millenium stadium?

I think the sort of events you describe go on all the time and so they should.

But most of all I am not sure that those shouting loudest for such a day share this noble ideal.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 15:09

And i would certainly agrre that - if anything - celebrate Britishness rather than Englishness if the intent is to promote unity and cohesion. However, isn't all the fuss about wanting to make St George's Day a holiday?
Back to top Go down
Mauri

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2006-04-07

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 16:40

fizzywizzy wrote:
And i would certainly agrre that - if anything - celebrate Britishness rather than Englishness if the intent is to promote unity and cohesion. However, isn't all the fuss about wanting to make St George's Day a holiday?

The original idea by Ruth Kelly (I think) was to have a 'Britain Day' to promote a sense of Britishness especailly amongst the British Ethnic communities. I think Wormy brought up the idea or St George's Day and 'English Day'.

I'm not particularly in favour of a Britain day although I can see that the idea is a good one in principle and something needs to be done to reach out to communities that although British by birth and geography don't feel any affinity with this country.

I am less keen for 'England day' since I feel even with the best intentions this will create or emphasise divisions even more and Englishness as a concept that without going down the road or nationalism and xenophobia is more difficult to pin down.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 18:02

Mauri wrote:
I think this is largely to do with the rightly or wrongly perceived exclusivity of Englishness to the 'white anglo saxons'.

My mothers mother is a Dane. My mothers grandfather was an east european jewish immigrant. I have hardly any anglo saxon blood in me but I was born here and I'm 100% English.
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 Jun 2007, 18:34

WormThatTurned wrote:
Mauri wrote:
I think this is largely to do with the rightly or wrongly perceived exclusivity of Englishness to the 'white anglo saxons'.

My mothers mother is a Dane. My mothers grandfather was an east european jewish immigrant. I have hardly any anglo saxon blood in me but I was born here and I'm 100% English.

I would feel more comfortable with the idea of celebrating Britishness than Englishness - and I'm 100% English in that I was born here as were my parents. I do worry that the aim of many of the people who are depserate to have this holiday wish to use it to exclude rather than include.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St Georges day holiday   St Georges day holiday - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

St Georges day holiday
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next