www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.

Go down 
+5
Angus
Jill Murphy
helencbradshaw
spoilt_little_brat
Thingywhatsit
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 18:48

I dare you, find a product with such a long list of ingredients that it takes up a huge paragraph! When I see that someone has just copied every ingredient off the back of the product, I tend to skip that bit of the review. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 18:48

I don't like lists either.

I don't mind the most common ingredients being discussed, but as most everyday toiletries are so full of the same list of crap I feel it is a moot point.

One shampoo or one toothpaste is much like another (unless they has been hand made from natural ingredients in which case it's worth discussing!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 21:54

Sorry, but I just don't see how a U rated review can be nom`d for a crown.

Can someone explain it to me in plain English!
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 22:07

Because if you're rating for yourself, something might only be useful, but it's possible that it would be fandabbydozy for someone else. Thus, if you're aware a particular review isn't very useful to you for whatever reason, but you can see it would be very useful to others, you should nom it - IF you're a guide trying to provide an overview of submissions, rather than a member who's rating on individual opinion only.

Um... now I type it, that sounds complicated! Sorry! I'll go with an example...

I hate loooooooooooooooooooooong reviews with a vengeance. I don't like background information on the author if I'm reading a review of a book, or on the band if I'm reading a review of an album. I'd rate Useful probably on these reviews as I find them frustrating and irritating to read.

BUT... I'm quite well aware that other people can make an excellent case for including such information and making a good review with it that a lot of other people might find far preferable to the shorter, punchier reviews that I find most useful.

Therefore, as a member, if I read one, I'd U it. As a guide, if I read one and Ud it, I'd probably also send it in as a crown nomination, knowing that a reasonable cross section of the community would think it should be crowned.

Then it's up to Dooyoo, and my personal preferences haven't affected my ability to guide and provide a short list of crownable opinions to Dooyoo, to save them the time and bother of reading all the reviews submitted.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 22:09

I don't see that as being much different to me nominating ciao reviews that are not exceptional. They tell everything but don't do it for me, but at the same time deserve something from the premium fund.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
tractor-boy

tractor-boy

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2006-03-04

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 22:17

Ok, of course the question would be do Dooyoo take such noms seriously if the guide has only U'd it?

They should, but do they?
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 22:46

If the guide has nominated it, then I don't see why not. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 23:07

One would hope that dooyoo would make a decision based on the overall ratings of the review.
Back to top Go down
Jill Murphy

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2006-03-07

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 23:21

Guides have a visible text box when they make a nomination. I always typed in some supporting information for whatever I'd nominated. Erm... examples:

Brilliant review. I loved it. Short, sweet, but plenty of info based on personal experience and not a load of dollop that could be gleaned from any old web search.

Erm... I've rated this Useful cos I think it goes on and on and Ariston and lacks focus. But as you can see from the comments, plenty of other users like this kind of approach. Over to you for a decision.

I thought this was pretty good, but perhaps lacks the added wow factor to make it a crown. I'd call it a borderline case. Your decision.

Etc etc.

In this way, I think I provided all the information staffers would need, went the extra mile in trying to be helpful, and didn't allow my personal bias to affect what crowns were given.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySat 22 Jul 2006, 23:22

A good way to do it, and one that seems very fair to me.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jul 2006, 13:16

Thingywhatsit wrote:

That's only half the ingredients. I am with Jill and Sirg here that it isn't necessary to list all ingredients but that the effects of ones that make a difference to our use or are possibly harmful are.

Well I can probably guess that Acqu is ok but not being a chemist I could not do what you are asking me to do nor could 99% of the Dooyoo membership.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jul 2006, 14:27

Quote :
Well I can probably guess that Acqu is ok but not being a chemist I could not do what you are asking me to do nor could 99% of the Dooyoo membership.

Not sure if that was addressed to me. The point I was making is that there are known irritants, known allergic substances, but as for the rest, I really do not see that listing them either enhances the review nor informs because most people buying products such as these will have the sense to read the label at the time of purchase. What they do want to know is whether the product did what it was supposed to do, and the personal experience of it, so they can judge whether or not they find it would suit their purposes.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jul 2006, 20:17

What known iritants, my point was that I have no idea what an irritant is on a label unless it also says "hydrocholic mangotoxic is an irritant".

People who scoff food in the cinema are an irritant but I do not mention them in my film reviews.

I do agree that people should read the label before buying hence there is no need for an ingredients list just personal experience that might say that you got a rash when using the product, which ingredient that caused it would mean nothing to me.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jul 2006, 21:51

Quote :
I do agree that people should read the label before buying hence there is no need for an ingredients list just personal experience that might say that you got a rash when using the product, which ingredient that caused it would mean nothing to me.

Hurray ! someone agrees with me. When I say irritants, I mean things that commonly cause rash. Many beauty products have content that makes people itch, and most hair dyes ask you to test an area to make sure its suitable before using the whole thing. I too believe that personal experience of use is the most essential thing.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jul 2006, 22:21

Despite what I believe the fact that the guide in that category has expressed a view that ingredients should be included then the liklihood is that all uture reviews will now contain an ingredient list from those people who read his How to review or read posts on this site.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptySun 23 Jul 2006, 22:41

We'll change his mind. bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 09:59

That is mission impossible Smile
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 10:02

Agreed, I don't think anyone could change his mind - however my view on it is that I would not include a list if I was writing a review and would not expect to red one either. I would include the odd ingredient if I knew about it and had experience with what it might do - like aluminium in deodrants for example makes you really itchy and sore, but I only know this through personal experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 10:05

Actually I had it as mission impossible as he has no mind to change boom boom Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 10:15

Quote :
Actually I had it as mission impossible as he has no mind to change boom boom Twisted Evil

I think you underestimate our little friend. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 10:19

Some good points raised there.

One review I read mentioned nothing whatsoever about the products contents though and i thought when reading it "What are the active ingredients?"

I can have my mind changed and I can agree that I may be wrong sometimes, I am but humanish. I think if someone listed the active ingredients, such as Coaoca butter, Shea butter, essenital oil and so on. Mainly because I feel it is important to someone looking for a skin product (example) which may help their condition.

I will meet anyone halfway here and say as long as the core ingredients are "MENTIONED" in the review then I will climb down on my personal view and accept a majority view.

See, I am approachableish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 10:26

Hurrah Hurrah !!! knew you would be a flexible guide. Now nip in and edit your review before everyone writes reviews with ingredients !
Back to top Go down
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 10:54

that's good angus, i would still only include ingredients i KNEW about though, and that's not much as i have no allergies nor my family and we have never needed to look at stuff like that. x
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
Angus

Angus

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2006-03-20

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 11:41

That is your pergoative Wendy and of copurse I will rate accordingly.

Mind you, it should only affect crown reviews so you should not have to worry anyway. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.cherishgifts.co.uk
atticusuk

atticusuk

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 EmptyMon 24 Jul 2006, 16:36

Perfect example of approachableishness in action.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.   INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

INGREDIENTS IN BEAUTY REVIEWS.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next