www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.ReviewWritersForum.co.uk

A site for review writers

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!

Go down 
+13
drewboy
badcompany77
crispy
koshkha
helencbradshaw
fizzywizzy
WendyBull
SaschaT
WormThatTurned
liz1102
Thingywhatsit
spoilt_little_brat
brax
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2006-09-14

Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 18:08

Sorry 5 killers for 5 killings that should have been. I hope I havnt just pre-empted something.

The first two women were dumped in water, the police said no doubt to wash off DNA evidence but the next 3 were left in woods. The killer has changed his/her tactics if that is why he/she left the first two in water. Or maybe there are 2 killers ?? Or maybe he/she is dumping these bodies randomly.

I feel sorry for the women in that area, I wouldnt want my missus/ daughter to be alone at all !!
Back to top Go down
lisa2062

lisa2062

Number of posts : 2129
Registration date : 2006-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 18:11

I hope they catch the killer/s quickly, as it's been said that they may move on to just killing women in general. I feel sorry for the victims and their families, and hope that this is solved quickly. Lisa x
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/
WendyBull

WendyBull

Number of posts : 2028
Registration date : 2006-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 19:01

They are styudying another prostitute that was killed in 1992 as well though, to see if there are any links to these ones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.egrinstead.co.uk
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

Number of posts : 1982
Location : Here, There and Everywhere, but usually in a hotel somewhere
Registration date : 2006-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 21:49

WormThatTurned wrote:
Oh no, theres PC on here now.

I dont get why people are offended by the word prostitute in this story. It is not derogatory, it is infact vital to the whole story. To not say prostitute is censure and we wouldnt be being told the whole story which is wrong.

well for one, the word Prostitute was not even in the title...it was "Prosies"

Secondly when read in conjunction with all these exclamation marks it looks like it doesnt really matter, purely because of what these women did for a living-to me it could be read as "Great, someone is killing all these Prossies....!!!!!" and that is downright offensive.

That is nothing to do with Political Correctness, it is about basic respect for people. These dead women are somebody's daughters after all.

(I havent even read the rest of the thread after my comment, so apologise if I am repeating someone else's thoughts on the topic )
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwritersforum.co.uk
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 21:51

"Prosies" - are they people opposed to poetry?
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

Number of posts : 5842
Registration date : 2006-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 21:54

Can we keep this respectful please.
Back to top Go down
https://reviewwritersforum.editboard.com
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 21:58

I am sure it was spelt that way originally, I think that stuck in my mind..either way you are quite correct in an earlier post, it was the word I was strongly offended by (and the exclamation marks in context , as I have just explained)

And I have not seen any news coverage whatsoever, over here in Geneve, so my making the point was purely on the heading on here and no other reason
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 22:36

I didnt know the word used was prossies - I think thats disrespectful too. However prostitutes is ok - dont see anything wrong with that, better than the PC version - sex workers.
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 22:45

WormThatTurned wrote:
I didnt know the word used was prossies - I think thats disrespectful too. However prostitutes is ok - dont see anything wrong with that, better than the PC version - sex workers.

yes had it said that, thenI wouldnt have made the point I did. To me it is like "chinky" or "paki" , horrible words for the very fact they are often used in a derogatary way.

I dont think it matters that much between Prostitutes or Sex Workers that much though, I dont see "sex workers" as a particularly PC term either, both would be acceptable (and as I say I have not read any press on the subject, so I have no idea what the British Tabloids are printing..although I can only imagine..)
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 22:50

A lot of people are saying the word prostitute is wrong and being used in a derogatory way although I havnt seen evidence of that at all. At the moment that is the link in all 5 murders so its bound to happen there will be reports of '5 prostitutes murdered'. Theres so much heat in Ipswich now, if there was another killing I doubt it would be a prostitute but you never know. I hope theyre on the way to catching him/her/they !!
Back to top Go down
helencbradshaw

helencbradshaw

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyThu 14 Dec 2006, 22:53

Ah ok, well my comment was nothing to do with the press then, just coincidental I guess.

I can imagine the press though, sometimes I think they have nothing better to do than stir up problems.
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 15 Dec 2006, 01:56

That is very true, which is why I think people automaticaly have a very bad view of the press and more or less any way in which they chose to 'tell the news'.

However in this case I have to agree that I don't think there is in anyway something wrong with the term prostitutes being used to cover the story. Like someone else said, it is what links the murders together and is therefor a huge part of the story.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Dec 2006, 14:38

spoilt_little_brat wrote:

However in this case I have to agree that I don't think there is in anyway something wrong with the term prostitutes being used to cover the story. Like someone else said, it is what links the murders together and is therefor a huge part of the story.

For me it is the way that the term is used as if it totally defines the victim in that one word when describing these murders. These are women, mothers, daughters sisters etc who all worked in the same industry. Yes it is a relevant link but it seems to be used as the primary descriptor for them rather than one to show their occupation and in a way for me the use of such terms de-humanise the victims to a certain degree.
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Dec 2006, 15:10

You have a good point there. I cannot imagine the press saying that Woolworths shop assistants were murdered.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Dec 2006, 15:39

I agree that the media draw attention to the fact they are prostitutes a lot but surely this is something that is only right. After all they are pointing out the fact that this is a fundamentally highly dangerous profession, particularly at the moment, and if that keeps some prostitutes indoors then that can only be a good thing. Furthermore, the women being murderered are undoubtedly mothers, sisters and daughters to somebody but their link is that the are prostitutes. If they were not prostitutes then they would undoubtedly be alive today. By being prostitutes they de-humanise themselves, regardless of their reasons.

For me the recent spate of killings reinforces the need to legalise prostitution and have designated areas for it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat 16 Dec 2006, 16:01

I understand the reasons for people saying that legalising prostitution would make the whole thing safer for everyone, although there will always be those that take advantage and are violent towards them because of the trade they choose to be in.
Back to top Go down
atticusuk

atticusuk

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2006-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 11:16

Thingywhatsit wrote:
I understand the reasons for people saying that legalising prostitution would make the whole thing safer for everyone, although there will always be those that take advantage and are violent towards them because of the trade they choose to be in.

The thing is that even when legalised there will always be some who operate outside of the law and therefore will be at risk. In Amsterdam you see illegal prostitution around the station mainly those who are HIV or drug addicts.
Back to top Go down
dididave

dididave

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2006-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 16:50

atticusuk wrote:
Thingywhatsit wrote:

The thing is that even when legalised there will always be some who operate outside of the law and therefore will be at risk. In Amsterdam you see illegal prostitution around the station mainly those who are HIV or drug addicts.

In my opinion these people would be putting themselves in the firing line and as such it would be their problem..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2424828235
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 17:02

I think it depends also upon how (if the government ever do it) the government tackles the problems of prostitution. If they do it so that it caters for all then fair enough, though I believe that there will always be men that will exploit women, either sending them out to gain money or abusing them. The problem is a universal one and doesn't just apply to this trade. Workers all over the world are made to work under unacceptable conditions and employers take advantage, and I really don't see organised brothels as being any different from any other employer. For an example, look at sweatshops. If the government are careful with their thinking, they may be able to provide a safer environment for most, but never for all.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 20:30

One of my first ever reviews on Ciao was on the question of legal brothels, im for it. Check out my review (plug plug) lol
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 20:39

Sorry, no plugging !!!
Back to top Go down
spoilt_little_brat

spoilt_little_brat

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2006-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 20:57

tut tut Wormy!! Go and read the rules- NOW!! lol

I still just do not think that there is aproblem with how the press has covered this story; if it were to be a Woolworths worker then no it may be 'shop worker' or just 'woman killed', however the difference being that these women were 'working' in a job where they are always at risk and although we do not know for sure, it was more than likely their dangerous job that got them 'kidnapped' and killed in the first place.
Back to top Go down
WormThatTurned

WormThatTurned

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 17 Dec 2006, 21:04

I didnt know
Back to top Go down
fizzywizzy

fizzywizzy

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Dec 2006, 13:04

Man arrested - check out bbc.co.uk/news !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thingywhatsit
Admin
Thingywhatsit

PostSubject: Re: Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!   Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 18 Dec 2006, 13:28

You could have given us the link and saved us time !
Back to top Go down

Someone is killing sex workers in Suffolk!!!!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next